Attempted gun theft leads to arrest

KITTERY, Maine — A Massachusetts man was arrested after stealing a semiautomatic tactical rifle from the Kittery Trading Post on Monday Afternoon, say police.

Kevin Murphy, 51, of Woburn, was arrested on charges he shoplifted the folding stock AR-15 rifle from the store by wrapping it in a store bag, said Kittery Police Chief Ed Strong

Murphy then fled with the weapon into the woods, where witnesses spotted him running, police said.

Strong said Murphy hid the weapon in the woods as police units responded at around 2:30 p.m. to a call the theft from an employee of the store.

Police were on the lookout for the suspect and Murphy was arrested just 20 minutes later, after he walked towards the Tanger Outlet Center, said Strong.

Murphy was charged with felony theft due to the retail value of the gun, but Chief Strong couldn't confirm the exact charges being filed.

Murphy is also being charged with felony possession of a gun because of his past criminal history, which includes arrests for armed robberies that he was convicted for in the past.

Police believe that Murphy was acting on his own accord and they do not anticipate any further arrests stemming from the alleged theft.

Murphy was held overnight at the York County Jail and was scheduled to be arraigned today in court.

Just goes to prove once again that we need a law prohibiting felons from stealing firearms in a state where they aren't a resident. [rolleyes] [shocked] I await the press release from the Brady Bunch.

Ken

Last edited:
Funny but I go to kittery TP all the time and they usually have the AR's behind a counter as I remember.

Not a brilliant move.

Isn't it a Federal offense to steal firearms from an FFL (or does armed robbery have to be involved?).

IIRC, KTP even has a few signs posted that it's a Federal offense.

This guy would "rack up a score" if the feds decide to prosecute
him. What would that be, FIP, + theft of said firearm...
= another F bomb grade conviction plus attendant time in
prison, etc....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom