Attorney/Lawyer what do people use?

Well forget about lawyer, I guess if I ever ended up in that situation, kill the bad guy and then myself!

I never realized how much money it was.

Stick to your area of expertise, which I am sure that you have a high level of competence. I wouldn't go to an OB/Gyn for an appendectomy and I wouldn't go to a surgeon for a pap smear. It's apples and oranges, really.

Mark... ummm... you get pap smears???

Hmmmm.....

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

This is my understanding, based on training at LFI-1 and LFI-2 from Mas Ayoob. I disagree with Ayoob on some things, but unlike most folks, he actually has reviewed the investigations of many shootings and spoken with many people who were involved in shootings.

You should avoid verbal diarrhea after a self-defense shooting because the chances are the adrenalin rush will have distorted your perceptions of reality. If you make statements based on your perceptions of the incident, chances are those statements will be false and the police and prosecutor may decide that you lied, when in fact you honestly described your perceptions. Once the police and/or prosecutor decide you have lied to them, they won't believe a word you say.

Some of the distortions that people commonly experience in a shooting include:

- diminished hearing (auditory exclusion), you may not have even heard the gunfire of it may have sounded like quiet "pops".

- you probably won't have been able to remember how many shots you (or your attacker fired). You may think you only fired a few shots, when, in fact, you fired your entire large capacity magazine.

- you may experience tachyspychia -- an altered perception of time. That is, it may have seemed that things happened in slow motion. So if an officer asks you the time between X and Y happened, your honest response may be wildly different from reality.

- you will likely have experienced tunnel vision. So you may not have noticed a witness who was clearly in your field of view. So, if asked whether anyone else was there, you might honestly respond "no", when, in fact, someone else was there and was clearly in your view.

- you may experience heightened visual clarity. Some survivors of shootings have said they were able to count the serrations on their front sight.

- Things may seem larger and closer than they were. So if an officer asks you how close the perp was, you may honestly respond "10 feet" when, in fact, he was actually 30 feet away. Or you might say that the knife he was holding was a 12" hunting knife, when, in fact, it was a 3" pocket knife.

- You may experience memory loss and may simply not remember parts of the encounter.

Making anything other than a bare-bones statement to police after such an encounter is fraught with peril. You will not be thinking clearly, even if you "man up." And the misstatements that you make as a result may land you in prison for the rest of your life.

Well forget about lawyer, I guess if I ever ended up in that situation, kill the bad guy and then myself!

I never realized how much money it was.
If you get charged with murder and it goes to trial, yes, it is going to cost a fortune for someone like Kevin Reddington. Yes, you could hire someone cheaper -- you can argue about whether or not that would be a good choice.

If you shoot an attacker will you absolutely have to spend this kind of money? Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends upon the circumstances and the luck of the draw. Best case, you spend a small amount and the investigation is quickly dropped. Worst case, you spend $100K+ and still wind up in jail for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
This is my understanding, based on training at LFI-1 and LFI-2 from Mas Ayoob. I disagree with Ayoob on some things, but unlike most folks, he actually has reviewed the investigations of many shootings and spoken with many people who were involved in shootings.

You should avoid verbal diarrhea after a self-defense shooting because the chances are the adrenalin rush will have distorted your perceptions of reality. If you make statements based on your perceptions of the incident, chances are those statements will be false and the police and prosecutor may decide that you lied, when in fact you honestly described your perceptions. Once the police and/or prosecutor decide you have lied to them, they won't believe a word you say.

Some of the distortions that people commonly experience in a shooting include:

- diminished hearing (auditory exclusion), you may not have even heard the gunfire of it may have sounded like quiet "pops".

- you probably won't have been able to remember how many shots you (or your attacker fired). You may think you only fired a few shots, when, in fact, you fired your entire large capacity magazine.

- you may experience tachyspychia -- an altered perception of time. That is, it may have seemed that things happened in slow motion. So if an officer asks you the time between X and Y happened, your honest response may be wildly different from reality.

- you will likely have experienced tunnel vision. So you may not have noticed a witness who was clearly in your field of view. So, if asked whether anyone else was there, you might honestly respond "no", when, in fact, someone else was there and was clearly in your view.

- you may experience heightened visual clarity. Some survivors of shootings have said they were able to count the serrations on their front sight.

- Things may seem larger and closer than they were. So if an officer asks you how close the perp was, you may honestly respond "10 feet" when, in fact, he was actually 30 feet away. Or you might say that the knife he was holding was a 12" hunting knife, when, in fact, it was a 3" pocket knife.

- You may experience memory loss and may simply not remember parts of the encounter.

Making anything other than a bare-bones statement to police after such an encounter is fraught with peril. You will not be thinking clearly, even if you "man up." And the misstatements that you make as a result may land you in prison for the rest of your life.

Not that I have ever been involved in a shooting of a human but if it is anything like buck fever all of the above is true, my first antlered deer was my second. I swore up and down it was a 6 pointer but when we found the end of the trail it was a lowly 3 pointer. but the shot hit exactly where I said it did. somethings will seem so real you would stake your life on it and they turn out to be completely false. other things you will nail with uncanny ability. the problem is knowing which is which immediately after the event. shut up and lawyer up plain and simple

WOW. After reading through 13 pages of this thread I don't think I even want to carry anymore.

Someone once said that if you have time enough to consider whether to shoot or not to shoot, it's not yet time.

When you no longer have the capacity to think of anything besides "Front site on target, finger on trigger" and "Where are my family?" or "Uh-oh, if I don't act NOW, we're all gonna die!", THEN it's time to shoot.

It is the absolute LAST resort!

Someone once said that if you have time enough to consider whether to shoot or not to shoot, it's not yet time.

When you no longer have the capacity to think of anything besides "Front site on target, finger on trigger" and "Where are my family?" or "Uh-oh, if I don't act NOW, we're all gonna die!", THEN it's time to shoot.

It is the absolute LAST resort!

If there were no grey area of uncertainty this would not be a 14pg thread. EX: do you draw on the guy who is cornering you into a fight or do you let him keep getting closer not knowing what he is going to do? Ok now he is really close to you. SHIT he just swung at you, too late to go for your gun now. Now you are in a fist fight. Turns out he was drunk and ended up smashing your face to pieces/ killing you.

The problem I see is that often an attackers intentions are not clearly discernible until they may be well within your comfort zone at which point you might be dead or smeared across the sidewalk before you ever get that CCW out.

WOW. After reading through 13 pages of this thread I don't think I even want to carry anymore.
If Mongo comes at you with a machete and you shoot him dead, the Commonwealth of MA will investigate that as the death of a citizen, as they very well should. Deadly force is not like a speeding ticket. If you mess up and drive 45 in a 25 zone, the penalties are not that severe. If you use deadly force when it was not justified, the penalty will be very, very severe, as would be expected.

The consequence of screwing up and shooting someone when you should not have done so could be life in jail. So, no, you should not take carrying concealed lightly. This truly is a matter of life and death.

The time to use deadly force is when you are about to die right now.

If there were no grey area of uncertainty this would not be a 14pg thread. EX: do you draw on the guy who is cornering you into a fight or do you let him keep getting closer not knowing what he is going to do? Ok now he is really close to you. SHIT he just swung at you, too late to go for your gun now. Now you are in a fist fight. Turns out he was drunk and ended up smashing your face to pieces/ killing you.

The problem I see is that often an attackers intentions are not clearly discernible until they may be well within your comfort zone at which point you might be dead or smeared across the sidewalk before you ever get that CCW out.

Problem with your example is that the guy was unarmed (other than the fists), so you would definitely need a really good attorney to keep your butt out of the slammer in that situation (at least here in the People's Republic of MA). If you don't think you can prevail in a fist fight, then you need to flee, plain and simple, forget about having the gun. In fact, even if you think you could take the guy, you should still flee if possible, because let's face it, we aren't in grade school anymore where you get in a fistfight, then are best buddies the following week.

If Mongo comes at you with a machete and you shoot him dead, the Commonwealth of MA will investigate that as the death of a citizen, as they very well should. Deadly force is not like a speeding ticket. If you mess up and drive 45 in a 25 zone, the penalties are not that severe. If you use deadly force when it was not justified, the penalty will be very, very severe, as would be expected.

The consequence of screwing up and shooting someone when you should not have done so could be life in jail. So, no, you should not take carrying concealed lightly. This truly is a matter of life and death.

The time to use deadly force is when you are about to die right now.

Thing is any assault can turn that way. You won't know.

EX: do you draw on the guy who is cornering you into a fight or do you let him keep getting closer not knowing what he is going to do? Ok now he is really close to you. SHIT he just swung at you, too late to go for your gun now. Now you are in a fist fight. Turns out he was drunk and ended up smashing your face to pieces/ killing you.

I've thought about that before, which is why I always carry pepper spray if i'm carrying a firearm.

The police at the scene could believe you were 100% justified in your actions. That is still not going to prevent a DA or ADA from going to the Grand Jury and pressing for an indictment.

What's that saying about a prosecutor getting a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich? I'm not a cop basher by any stretch of the imagination, but if the SHTF the first person I'm going to want to speak to (after any medical care I may need) is an attorney.

BTW, that advice came to me from two separate police officers and an attorney. Fortunately, I have never had to practice what I preach. I sincerely hope I, and everyone else here, never has to. As with many things in life, YMMV.
This.

FWIW, I'd demand an attorney if I ever got into a self defense scenario.

Ditto on Kevin Reddington. There are a lot of great regional attorneys, but he's a name worth having on speed dial whereever you live in Eastern MA.

Yeah it is actually. The law specifies .08 A person who blows .07 is not legally intoxicated. They might face other charges (still possibly vehicular homicide, driving to endanger, blah blah blah) but any charges based on OUI would likely fail. That's why we have laws and the laws have things like that defined in them. Some would even argue that .08 is "low".
Not quite; respectfully, you point runs roughshod over the point he was trying to convey.

You can still be charged with OUI and kept in custody after blowing a .07--there's simply no legal presumption of intoxication. Believe it or not, only blowing a .05 or less is an automatic get out of jail free card.

Of course any charges of OUI are indeed likely to fail, as are the other 2/3 of OUIs that go to trial.

Not quite; respectfully, you point runs roughshod over the point he was trying to convey.

You can still be charged with OUI and kept in custody after blowing a .07--there's simply no legal presumption of intoxication. Believe it or not, only blowing a .05 or less is an automatic get out of jail free card.

Of course any charges of OUI are indeed likely to fail, as are the other 2/3 of OUIs that go to trial.

Thanks for clearing that up with your professional perspective. Good knowledge to have.

Kevin Reddington keeps coming up as most member's first choice, but this has been mostly guys toward the eastern part of the state. Anyone good in the western part (Springfield area)?

When I took the required course 12+ years ago at S&W, the instructor was clear about the hospital issue.

It buys you time to get your sh!t together.

The instructor was awesome btw.

I've had significant adrenalin on two occasions. Yes, I really did feel bad enough to want to go to the hospital.

This...

What you may find after an adrenaline dump that as you age, the after affects may be felt more severely. It never hurts asking to go to the hospital, not only is it a prudent action to take to allow you to collect your thoughts for the aftermath, but also it's probably good to be checked out, esp if you are say over 45 from a cardiovascular stress perspective.

Last edited:

A good argument for pepper spray in addition to the gun. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom