August 9th new NICS system

An acquaintance on another forum works in IT for a three-letter agency. He's posted a bunch of cryptic messages about August 9th, which is the date the new NICS system is supposed to go live. His posts on this topic go back a couple months now. Essentially, it's going to be a cluster****. As in, it'll make the Obamacare exchanges look like Amazon.com. If you've been thinking about a new firearm, you might want to seal the deal before August 9th.

Good luck.

An acquaintance on another forum works in IT for a three-letter agency. He's posted a bunch of cryptic messages about August 9th, which is the date the new NICS system is supposed to go live. His posts on this topic go back a couple months now. Essentially, it's going to be a cluster****. As in, it'll make the Obamacare exchanges look like Amazon.com. If you've been thinking about a new firearm, you might want to seal the deal before August 9th.

Good luck.

Swell, more good news

Criminals given their Freedom...The Free being made criminals. Topsy-turfy world

A couple of his more recent posts on the topic:

July 9:
Oh, and a random thought. Completely non political. But if you were considering buying a firearm in the near future I would suggest doing so before the second Tuesday of next month.

Now the goal post may move between now and then But as it stands.

July 11:
Look at this interesting picture I found in Google images:

HT_indonesian_plane_crash_jt_150315_16x9_992.jpg

Today:
FBI: July Was 15th Straight Month Of Record Background Checks

<snip>

The latest figures from the FBI show that July 2016 was the 15th consecutive month of record background checks for gun sales.

The previous July record was set in 2015, when there were 1,600,832 background checks. But the FBI reports that July 2016 there were 2,197,169–an increase of nearly 600,000 checks.

</snip>
I feel that these record numbers will suddenly drop... say the 9th August.

Speculating here, but my guess is no person-to-person gun sales. All sales through a licensed gun shop.

Perhaps one of the FFL's/dealers here can shed some light on this?

New NICS Going Live

The FBI NICS Section has announced a New NICS go-live date of August 9, 2016. Future communications from NICS will include instructions on how to access the New NICS E-Check User Guide to allow FFLs to become familiar with the look
of the NICS E-Check prior to deployment of the New NICS.

The look of the NICS E-Check after deployment will change; however, the functionality will remain the same.

FBI Releases New NICS Spotlight
In late May, the FBI released the following regarding the New NICS:

Third Party Software Vendor
Some FFLs purchased software that automated all or part of the firearm background check process. The NICS Section has not traditionally supported the development of such products; therefore, the NICS Section does not have a list of software vendors that developed a product. If you are using software that automated all or part of the background check process, it is crucial that you notify the NICS Section. The NICS Section would like to make important information regarding the New NICS available for your software vendor. Notification should include the name of the software vendor and should be e-mailed to the NICS Business Relations Team at [email protected].

http://www.shotbusiness.com/new-nics-going-live/

So, after three day wait we should be able to take possession if it's down, right?
I agree, I wonder if any ffls on the forum have a different understanding? I have a 7 day waiting period in ri any way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3rd party vendor software? Who?... and is the data stored on Hillery's private server in her basement?

I wonder if this ties into the rumors about the .Gov storing purchase data...

I have an FFL and SOT and have not received any official notice.

Neither did any of the shops before Healey dropped the hammer.

It will be presented as "common sense" and all those other buzzwords and in effect I suspect it will attempt to slow arms sales to a crawl through the government's greatest strength : their own incompetence in making things work

Gonna open up a huge black market for buyers and sellers.... I hope.

The tin-foil aspect of this was discussed: is the NICS system being intentionally degraded as a means to implement back-door restrictions on the transfer of firearms? My acquaintance says no, they're not that smart, just incompetent. We'll find out on Tuesday, but I would expect the system to be completely overwhelmed such that approved transactions slow to a trickle, at best. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have an FFL and SOT and have not received any official notice.

Nor have I.

Do you guys use the NICS E-Check system?

From my reading, this mostly apples to those utilizing it.

All Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) serviced by National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section PDF file...

NICS will be available 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year. This does not mean that NICS staff or the Call Center staff will be on hand around the clock. The NICS Section has no plans to alter staff work schedules or call center hours. But for those users accessing the NICS electronically via the NICS E-Check, the NICS will be available 24 hours a day. The vast majority of checks are processed as an immediate proceed meaning no research is required. If by chance a transaction is initiated outside of normal business hours and research is needed, the transaction will be delayed and completed when staff returns. If you are not a current NICS E-Check user, please consider enrolling today. The NICS E-Check users will have an advantage by having extended access to perform NICS checks.

Snip................

The entire implementation of the new NICS will come in three installments: July 2014, July 2015, and July 2016. As we obtain further details, we will certainly share them with you

FBI postpones project to modernize NICS

The Federal Bureau of Investigation nixed the rollout of a new National Instant Criminal Background Check System that would update the system’s software and functionality.

The FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division planned to launch the two-phased project on July 14, but postponed it for unspecified reasons. The bureau has not announced a new “go-live” date, but said rescheduling would not interfere with the peak fall sales season.

How would they even know?

How would NICS know that I sold a gun to you?
If a person-to-person sale must be done at a gunstore, and that gunstore is told to run a NICS check on the buyer (you) wouldn't they know then?

I think things are changing, and TPB don't like personal transfers...

I guess what i was wondering is if you and I meet at one of our houses and transact a gun sale with a handshake, how is anyone going to know (as long as we both keep our pie holes shut).

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom