August 9th new NICS system

If the gov wanted to keep people safe from PII theft they'd do something fun like mandate destruction of records on anything thats a PROCEED within 24 hours. That'd be a good start. Currently the retention period is like 20 years or some bullshit.

-Mike

So if the shop run by the old timer that has the best prices around as he has no capital overhead or only has minimum repeating overhead, who can keep his prices competitive, and chooses to use the old Paper, Pen and telephone method is going be driven out of business and because he wants nothing to with the internet, That is okay with you.

I am 100% okay with this. It's called PROGRESS. Welcome to the twentieth century where they invented these things called computers then Al Gore connected them all together.

You ARE the one picking fights and the sad thing is that you always seem to choose the losing side.

This ain't some novel technology nobody has heard of; this is very very basic stuff vetted by countless other industries.

I am 100% okay with this. It's called PROGRESS. Welcome to the twentieth century where they invented these things called computers then Al Gore connected them all together.

You ARE the one picking fights and the sad thing is that you always seem to choose the losing side.

This ain't some novel technology nobody has heard of; this is very very basic stuff vetted by countless other industries.

I'm not even sure what he's HURR DURRING about, unless I missed something about the FBI getting rid of NICS telephone lines and going 100% internet only...

-Mike

Although I used to do computer support for small companies, I'm no expert on computer security and I left the computer business behind in 2006 . . . a lot has changed since then.

When a FFL is at a gun show, typically Carole charges them $50/show to use the WiFi that the facility has (Big E, Shriner's Auditorium, Best Western, etc.) and they are at the mercy of whatever security the facility has setup (I'll bet next to nothing). As the news reported last night, someone's home security cams were hacked and broadcast worldwide live. This stuff happens all the time. Proving who caused the breach is usually very difficult to impossible. And FFLs can't even read the BATFE books (CDs) that they are sent to determine what is legal, so you can't expect them to be intelligent enough to try to secure their transactions (in a store or at a show).

And the only time that the state will go after them is if they smell money they can suck out of them to feed the state coffers. They could care less about those whose identities get stolen (even the Feds only offered "after the fact" monitoring service for those affected).

most of the vendors have cellular machines now.

If I can walk down the street with an iPhone and see your WiFi you are doing it wrong. Throwing "security" cameras on an unencrypted AND visible network is simply asking to be broadcast worldwide. A few minutes and some research goes a long ways.

I'm not saying you deserve to be hacked but, jfc you may as well ride the T with wifi enabled while checking your email and bank accounts.

If you handle NPI in any manner then you need to be on top of your security. Way too much at stake for FFL's to be callous with this data. Lord knows the .gov is already bad enough at securing networks.

Hiding your network doesn't actually hide it. Simple app on the phone will list the hidden as well as visible networks.

Hiding your network doesn't actually hide it. Simple app on the phone will list the hidden as well as visible networks.

I think he meant parenthetically like having an open AP just sitting there. Which even ignoring the security stuff, doesn't really work anymore anyways, because for every open AP there is some douchebag in the neighborhood hanging off it torrenting movies and shit and trashing your circuit. [rofl]

-Mike

After reading most of the posts, and the link to the NICS E check, I think I prefer the old system. From the legal point of view, a court order is required for a legal wire tap, though internet hacking may be illegal, it seems to me that they have not done much of a job running down the hackers (either here in the US or elsewhere) plus it is so neat now that they get the information in a data table with your name, address, DOB, SSN (if you give it to them), height, weight, eye color, hair color, and the info on the gun (comes in handy if you hack a system and need some firearms). The hell with that, I would prefer the stuff over the phone, I'm thinking that it makes it more difficult to steal my info and less likely that the .gov can assemble a nice list of everything you buy. Just one man's opinion.

most of the vendors have cellular machines now.

Is the cell phone or cellular WiFi really that secure?

After reading most of the posts, and the link to the NICS E check, I think I prefer the old system. From the legal point of view, a court order is required for a legal wire tap, though internet hacking may be illegal, it seems to me that they have not done much of a job running down the hackers (either here in the US or elsewhere) plus it is so neat now that they get the information in a data table with your name, address, DOB, SSN (if you give it to them), height, weight, eye color, hair color, and the info on the gun (comes in handy if you hack a system and need some firearms). The hell with that, I would prefer the stuff over the phone, I'm thinking that it makes it more difficult to steal my info and less likely that the .gov can assemble a nice list of everything you buy. Just one man's opinion.

Same here as someone in a gun shop writing down furiously as an employee is making a call or holding up a recording device is likely to be noticed by others. Risk? Yes, but not much compared to most networks out there.

NICS exemption aka “Brady Alternative” carry license background check

How easy would it be for them to pull staff off of running these checks? It defaults to a proceed after 3 days, right? Could they slow the whole country down to a 3 day wait to buy a gun if they want to?
Not the whole country -- there are +20 states where a resident carry permit qualifies as a NICS exemption.

Many states (including New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc) have chosen for the state to be the Point-Of-Contact for at least handguns, so that could change the turnaround time. E.g. the New Hampshire state police have a direct line into NICS, and calls for handgun checks go to NHSP (this is often slower than a long gun check that goes to the FBI directly)

Not the whole country -- there are +20 states where a resident carry permit qualifies as a NICS exemption.

Many states (including New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc) have chosen for the state to be the Point-Of-Contact for at least handguns, so that could change the turnaround time. E.g. the New Hampshire state police have a direct line into NICS, and calls for handgun checks go to NHSP (this is often slower than a long gun check that goes to the FBI directly)

I had an NH check on a handgun take an hour and fifteen minutes yesterday.[banghead]

As the news reported last night, someone's home security cams were hacked and broadcast worldwide live. This stuff happens all the time. Proving who caused the breach is usually very difficult to impossible. (in a store or at a show).

let's use an idiot mother who installs a webcam to watch her kids sleep and not know how to secure the access to it as an example of how companies are doing bad wifi.

I had an NH check on a handgun take an hour and fifteen minutes yesterday.[banghead]

That's because no one will submit and get backing for a bill that will get rid of the NH POC because it'll piss of the NHSP and result in a few people being reassigned to work they should be doing (non-resident LTCs come to mind) and remove the ability of the NHSP to dispatch officers for other issues to arrest someone getting a background check.

let's use an idiot mother who installs a webcam to watch her kids sleep and not know how to secure the access to it as an example of how companies are doing bad wifi.

It's similar people who run gun shops or gun shows. They may or may not know guns, but most all know nothing about IT, some probably couldn't even spell it!

Waited over 2 hours today for NICS check on a rifle transfer(NH to MA)FFL got disconnected try again on Monday.

waited an hour today , then got delayed...never happened any other time for anything else..

Same here...waited...delayed...never happen before. Seemed like whole system down.

Same thing to NES'er I was trading with...waited and then delayed.
I was delayed today as well, never happened before.. aggravating. The guy at the shop said ever since the update they get a few every day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Got my first delay today at Rilies. I don't buy all that much but I have always been in and out in twenty minutes, not today.[crying] Treated myself to a new M&P shield but came home empty handed. Now with the holiday and all if I don't hear by tomorrow it won't be till Thursday unless something else goes south.

Got my first delay today at Rilies. I don't buy all that much but I have always been in and out in twenty minutes, not today.[crying] Treated myself to a new M&P shield but came home empty handed. Now with the holiday and all if I don't hear by tomorrow it won't be till Thursday unless something else goes south.

What time of day was this? One local dealer said that early mornings seem OK for handguns. He said around "happy hour" everyone is out of work and trying to buy and the wait is much longer. One more reason I won't shop at any place more than a half hour away anymore, and refuse to buy firearms through NICS.

When I was in AZ, the permit was "sign and drive", so it didn't matter if NICS was down, slow, or if it was a high traffic time. Guess I should have stayed there. Less BS.

What time of day was this? One local dealer said that early mornings seem OK for handguns. He said around "happy hour" everyone is out of work and trying to buy and the wait is much longer. One more reason I won't shop at any place more than a half hour away anymore, and refuse to buy firearms through NICS.

When I was in AZ, the permit was "sign and drive", so it didn't matter if NICS was down, slow, or if it was a high traffic time. Guess I should have stayed there. Less BS.

To answer your question time was around 12 noon. He sent the info twice because he said it did not go through the first time. I waited at least an hour and he finally said delayed.

Yes, you should have although I'm sure NH gun owners are happy to have you voting on their side (assume you are registered to vote - I sure hope you are)![wink]

Back
Top Bottom