August 9th new NICS system

Ah No! There are some one man shops that use the phone as they don't trust that kind of material being transmitted on the "interwebs" and rightfully so. Just because those folks that live by the "e" everything doesn't mean the rest of society does and nor should we be forced to.

If that is what you think, and I agree, you probably shouldn't trust telephones either. We've come a long way from the days when a "wire tap" was a physical thing.

If that is what you think, and I agree, you probably shouldn't trust telephones either. We've come a long way from the days when a "wire tap" was a physical thing.

Agree, but it's a bit different from putting your name, SSN, DOB, address, etc. Over unsecured WiFi.

Agree, but it's a bit different from putting your name, SSN, DOB, address, etc. Over unsecured WiFi.
Well, first, anyone who runs a business over unsecured wifi deserves to be lynched if they lose your information.

As for transmitting the data over the internet, 99.9999% of the time there's a data breach, it's either on the systems themselves or some other back end system. Almost never while it's in flight unless the operator ignore s the obvious indicators that something is wrong.

Phoning it in is no safer than echeck and if you believe otherwise your tinfoil is a tad too tight.

I don't think I've ever (or at least not in recent history) put my SSAN on a 4473.

Will/does the ezcheck system require it?
The echeck doesn't require anything more than the 4473 does. Ssn is optional

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, first, anyone who runs a business over unsecured wifi deserves to be lynched if they lose your information.

As for transmitting the data over the internet, 99.9999% of the time there's a data breach, it's either on the systems themselves or some other back end system. Almost never while it's in flight unless the operator ignore s the obvious indicators that something is wrong.

Phoning it in is no safer than echeck and if you believe otherwise your tinfoil is a tad too tight.

Although I don't recall exact details, Home Depot and a grocery chain (don't recall name, on Rte. 106 in Easton is one location) IIRC were hacked by someone in the parking lot. Many places are a lot less secured than you and I would think and desire.

In general phone lines aren't hacked as often except by LE. Nothing is truly safe but by degrees WiFi is a lot less secure.

Although I don't recall exact details, Home Depot and a grocery chain (don't recall name, on Rte. 106 in Easton is one location) IIRC were hacked by someone in the parking lot. Many places are a lot less secured than you and I would think and desire.

In general phone lines aren't hacked as often except by LE. Nothing is truly safe but by degrees WiFi is a lot less secure.

Hannaford, Home Deepco, and Target all had major data breaches in the past few years... but not much of it had to do with WiFi in most cases. Most of this was back-end shit, or some guy got malware into their network, etc. Noxin is generally right on this one, Len. I have even had credit cards hacked that I barely ever used... and the only way that could happen is a back end compromise.

-Mike

If you really wanted to hack THD remotely, the easiest way in would be the Satellite feed that connects all of the store financial systems to Atlanta. Store WiFi won't get you anything past a single store because the systems just don't work that way. The corporate compound would need to be accessed by an insider or through "software" as Pat & Mike noted.

You take much greater risks by leaving WiFi on your phone activated or using public hotspots.

If you really wanted to hack THD remotely, the easiest way in would be the Satellite feed that connects all of the store financial systems to Atlanta. Store WiFi won't get you anything past a single store because the systems just don't work that way. The corporate compound would need to be accessed by an insider or through "software" as Pat & Mike noted.

You take much greater risks by leaving WiFi on your phone activated or using public hotspots.

You mean like gun shows?

True about phones and public hotspots. I refuse to do banking, confidential info on my phone for that reason. I only do that from my wired home network.

You mean like gun shows?

True about phones and public hotspots. I refuse to do banking, confidential info on my phone for that reason. I only do that from my wired home network.

A 256 bit or better encrypted VPN tunnel back to your home network from your mobile devices gets past that. Regardless of the underlying network the data is encrypted at the device and hauled back to your network, and a number of residential APs have the function built in. Just don't let it "split tunnel" and have the traffic bypass the VPN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been getting regular updates for over a year about this change.

First, I had to change browsers to make sure the new software would work. No more I.E. Unless they fixed that.

Second, any FFL that isn't singed up for email updates should be. I get notified when the system is down and yesterday received notice of 2 error messages that they know of and to only call in with new issues.

So... It's not go time?

I love these threads. I wish there'd been an NES back during y2k; even more of you guys than usual would have been deep in your bunkers.

Has the entire NICS system crashed yet?

Yes it did. Yesterday. Was at Four Seasons yesterday and the entire on line NICS system was down and had been down all day. Every thing has to called in and while I was there every one required further review. All four with further review were given proceed. " Instant" check required an hour which I had been advised of when I entered shop. Kudos to the staff at Four Seasons who were working extremely well together

I have been getting regular updates for over a year about this change.

First, I had to change browsers to make sure the new software would work. No more I.E. Unless they fixed that.

Consider this to be a blessing!! IE sucks so bad it is pathetic. MS abandoned IE with Win 10 but I find the new "product" even worse and don't use it at all.

I say this as someone who used to test software for MS and supported this stuff for 11 years.

So... It's not go time?

I love these threads. I wish there'd been an NES back during y2k; even more of you guys than usual would have been deep in your bunkers.

We had an even better "forum" in the MAF List. No back-biting, everyone used real names. In the computer world we had Compu$erve and then newsgroups covering the technical stuff.

I wish I would have found this site prior to yesterday, I have no criminal record and not even a traffic ticket in my background and yesterday I went into a delay for research trying to purchase another AR lower. I'am in Pa. but was born in NJ and when the owner of the store said wow you are in a delay I was stunned as he was too.

Last edited:
I wish I would have found this sit prior to yesterday, I have no criminal record and not even a traffic ticket in my background plus I bought a stripped lower last week and yesterday I went into a delay for research trying to purchase another AR. I'am in Pa. but was born in NJ and when the owner of the store said wow you are in a delay I was stunned as he was too.

Welcome to the new normal: Backdoor gun control.

Yes it did. Yesterday. Was at Four Seasons yesterday and the entire on line NICS system was down and had been down all day. Every thing has to called in and while I was there every one required further review. All four with further review were given proceed. " Instant" check required an hour which I had been advised of when I entered shop. Kudos to the staff at Four Seasons who were working extremely well together

Imagine the cluster **** if Healey had known about and anticipated this in advance and announced her edict on the 9th.

This. Walmart is the single biggest gun seller in the country w/ over 2000 locations that sell guns. No other retailer has that many locations selling guns. Every one of their stores uses software to run the BG check and print out the 4473s. When was the last time you heard about any kind of data breach? Personally I would rather not have someone reading my info aloud over the phone in a place where anyone with a cell can record it at the touch of a button.

Also, there is no reason/excuse to not have the terminal hardwired to the internet connection. Wireless is convenient and all but not running a cat5 line to the modem in the case of firearm sales is just lazy and stupid.

I manage a gun store here in Kansas, and used the new system yesterday. It sucks balls and you can now be a tranny on the part where it asks for the buyers gender. The choices are male, female, and unknown, whatever the hell that is. It's super clunky too and buggy as all hell. Typical government work.

I don't think I've ever (or at least not in recent history) put my SSAN on a 4473.

Will/does the ezcheck system require it?
I hope this does not cause problems but nobody is getting my SSN. Also I'm not familiar with the ezcheck software but if it stores or transmits the SSN unencrypted then it is a violation of the 2007 privacy act. (and before anybody jumps on it... the law is specific that the state and federal governments are not exempt)

So... It's not go time?

Y2K made a lot of people in the computer business a lot of money. The crap that was being spewed by the media was unreal.

Y2K made a lot of people in the computer business a lot of money. The crap that was being spewed by the media was unreal.

Frankly, given all the unpaid overtime I, and so many other people worked to fix all the code issues, it was kind of a kick in the balls when nothing happened and everybody was like, 'See? Nothing Happened. Look at all the money we wasted.' Yeah, dumbasses, we reviewed and tested 2 million lines of code to make sure nothing happened.

Frankly, given all the unpaid overtime I, and so many other people worked to fix all the code issues, it was kind of a kick in the balls when nothing happened and everybody was like, 'See? Nothing Happened. Look at all the money we wasted.' Yeah, dumbasses, we reviewed and tested 2 million lines of code to make sure nothing happened.

Told you nothing would happen

Back
Top Bottom