Ban On Pre-1994 Assault Weapons Pushed Again/Mass

JonJ

NES Member
Barrios is at it again. Got this off the ma-firearms email list this morning:

"After Setback in the Senate, Ban On Pre-1994 Assault Weapons Pushed Again
By Amy Lambiaso for the State House News Service

Lawmakers are renewing their effort this year to ban the sale of all assault
weapons in the state, a controversial move that was narrowly defeated in the Senate
last year and is likely to face similar opposition this session.

The state last year adopted a law tying certain definitions of assault weapons to
federal definitions and extending a ban on the sale of assault weapons, such as
AK-47s and UZIs, made after Sept. 13, 1994. Sen. Jarrett Barrios (D-Cambridge) and
Rep. David Linsky (D-Natick) led the effort last year to ban the sale of all
assault weapons, arguing that guns are equally dangerous regardless of the year
they were made.

But opposition to the bill, who argued it would primarily punish law-abiding gun
owners, won out last year and gun owners who legally purchased their weapons before
the 1994 deadline may continue to sell, rent or transfer the weapons in
Massachusetts.

Linsky and Barrios are again sponsoring separate legislation to extend the
ban the pre-1994 weapons, and the Legislature’s Public Safety and Homeland
Security Committee heard their bill today."
> http://www.massnews.com/

Committee on Public Safety AND HOMELAND SECURITY
Public Hearing to be held in Room B-2 at 10:00 A.M.

Senate, No. 1335
Petition of Jarrett T. Barrios for legislation to complete the assault weapon ban.
Senate, No. 1343
Petition of Stephen M. Brewer, David B. Sullivan, Richard T. Moore, Anne M. Gobi
and other members of the General Court for legislation to clarify the definition of
loaded rifle or shotgun.

I just can't figure out what these people's ultimate goal - ulterior motive is. They're not that dumb. They see all the facts and studies just like everyone else does and they know these weapons are used in a minute percentage of crimes. They also know that gun control is pro-crime. So what gives? Is it absolute power and tyranny [?]

I think it's just that Barrios sees an opportunity for a press conference where the press will 1) actually come, 2) actually report what he said, and 3) do so approvingly, since they are overwhelmingly anti. In other words, it's free campaign advertising. He may or may not actually believe what he says, but as far as he's concerned, that's immaterial. What's important is the free campaign advertising.

TonyD said:
I just can't figure out what these people's ultimate goal - ulterior motive is. They're not that dumb. They see all the facts and studies just like everyone else does and they know these weapons are used in a minute percentage of crimes. They also know that gun control is pro-crime. So what gives? Is it absolute power and tyranny [?]

It's simple Tony - MA is a very liberal state. The Lib's can't live without victims. They can't live without being needed. They need people to feel like piles of worthless $hit in order for them to come to the rescue and KEEP them victims so the cycle can be repeated. They keep making promises which never get carried out, or do get carried out to the heartburn of the rest of us. Why do they do it besides that? Because they know that sooner or later they will go too damn far and those of us who've had enough will stand up and say "No more." They DO NOT want us to be armed. Every piece of legislation they pass slowly erodes our RKBA. They nip away at the 2nd Amendment without brazingly taking it on (can't because it's in our state and federal Constituions), but they make it tougher and tougher to get pieces/ammo. etc. They start with "Assault weapons" because of what they're called....WEAPONS. (Here we go back again to my "hand gun vs. weapon" discussion) The general public know them as weapons because that's what they (the politicos) want them to be known as. Good reason to start calling every firearm a firearm/hand gun/pistol/rifle, etc. etc. Calling them a weapon only adds to these Aholes votes when they wave that "for public safety" flag. But I digress....they go after the AW's because the sheeple can't understand why we NEED them. We don't need them - we want them - they're fun to shoot, but the sheeple don't understand how a "weapon" can be fun, so they don't oppose it.

<sigh>....yup, I still hate this state....and it grows with each passing day.

Back
Top Bottom