Barrels

PatMcD

NES Member
O.K., let's talk about barrels. SR config, of course.
WOA has an almost 1 year backlog, so the Wilson I usually get, won't be got.

Who is everybody using?
Who should I go with?
Krieger?
Bartlein?
Satern?
??
And order directly from them or go through a retailer?
This will be the first time I go on my own with this. George made it so easy in the past. Thanks George!

I don't mind spending twice the price of the Wilson IF the barrel lasts twice as long.
I have next season's barrel already, but want to get 2015 taken care of.

I hear Krieger has an even longer wait just to get the blanks. Mine still shoots OK with around 5,000 rounds on it but I'm going to need something by Perry next year. Compass Lake maybe?

Who is everybody using?
Who should I go with?
Krieger?
Bartlein?
Satern?
??
This will be the first time I go on my own with this. George made it so easy in the past. Thanks George!

I don't mind spending twice the price of the Wilson IF the barrel lasts twice as long.

You're Welcome Pat and Thanks for the kind words.
With the extended wait on the Wilsons ad one other minor reason I decided not to do any more WOA group buys.
Maybe I will again at some point in future years but definitely not this year.

I have ordered a complete Kreiger barreled WOP upper last Fall and have been shooting that all season.
I don't see any difference and scores over the Wilsons I shot in previous years but it is wearing slightly better than any of the previous Wilsons I shot out.

I ordered a Satern direct in December and was told a one year wait.
I just got an email that it will be ready to ship soon.
I ordered 1x7 post ban with matching bolt and front sight base and was quoted $460.
Definitely a huge ouch over the (not to be mentioned publicly) price I was getting the WOA Wilsons for.
Gus Dunfey was telling me at Perry that many on the team prefer them over the Kreigers and I know Jeff Lindblom is a big fan.

I'm pretty sure they all go where you point them and if you don't invest the time to practice at all (like I haven't for 2 years) you won't see much if any improvement in scores in service rifle going with a big dollar pedigree barrel.

If they last longer that is definitely a plus not having to mess with fresh barrel new zero's part way thru a season.
The Kreiger I shot this year will definitely be all set all the way thru next year as I use another upper for league matches and any practice I may do.

As far as other alternatives I'm pretty sure any of us would be happy with Compass Lake.
Frank has his own chamber but he will also use a Wylde Reamer if the customer wants him to.

Another option I would consider is John Scandale of Keystone Accuracy in PA.
Keystone Accuracy Custom Rifles, Plymouth Meeting, PA

He has Green Mountain (made in NH I believe) 1x7 twist Wylde chambered button rifled stainless steel barrels in stock.

George

I found Brownells has Kriegers in stock, so I grabbed one.
A little over double the price of what I'm used to, but if it gets me 2 seasons it will be a wash.

hearing about the barrel backlog puts a damper on my next build....any way at my current rounds down range I wont need a new barrel for about 10 years!

Has anyone used a Bartlein barrel yet? I'm thinking of getting a custom made barrel for my Savage in the distant future and keep coming back to them, figured this thread would be a good place to keep tabs...

A little over double the price of what I'm used to, but if it gets me 2 seasons it will be a wash.
Did you get the pre or post ban version? Looks like only the pre ban are left. I grabbed one. I also picked up a WOA 18" SPR from Brownells yesterday.

Last edited:

Hey pat,

What Twist and Chamber ( Krieger, Wylde, Other ) did you get in it?

Did you get the pre or post ban version? Looks like only the pre ban are left. I grabbed one. I also picked up a WOA 18" SPR from Brownells yesterday.
I always get pre-ban, not that it matters to the target.

Hey pat,

What Twist and Chamber ( Krieger, Wylde, Other ) did you get in it?
They have a "minimum spec .223 chamber". Is that the "Krieger" chamber? Not sure what that means, but again, I don't think the target will care.

White Oak just quoted me 6 months. A long time, but not a year. Compass Lake had a few in stock, depending on exactly what you want as well.

Good luck -
Greg

Who is everybody using?
Who should I go with?
Krieger?
Bartlein?
Satern?
??

Wilson.
Krieger was a year

I heard a year for the 6.5 twist Krieger (which I shot all last season and it was a hammer) due to the lack of availability of the blanks, but apparently the 7.7 Krieger blanks are available and therefore have the same wait (about 6 months) as the Wilsons. At least I hope so because Jeff just ordered one for each of us.

Has anyone used a Bartlein barrel yet? I'm thinking of getting a custom made barrel for my Savage in the distant future and keep coming back to them, figured this thread would be a good place to keep tabs...

I have been using a Bartlein 5R barrel on my AR for the past 2 seasons and it has lasted very well, cleans up easily also.

Got it today. No flats for sight tower opposing screws. No big deal.

Got it today. No flats for sight tower opposing screws. No big deal.

Hi Pat,

Did it have slots for the taper pins or nothing.

Like you said, No big deal either way and the target won't care.
If no slots or nothing you could allways go with one of the clamp on style Armalite front sight bases.

Hi Pat,

Did it have slots for the taper pins or nothing.

Like you said, No big deal either way and the target won't care.
If no slots or nothing you could allways go with one of the clamp on style Armalite front sight bases.
No holes for taper pins either. I'll just use a set screw up from the bottom and then glue it.

No holes for taper pins either.

You have to drill and ream them yourself. I have the reamer and some taper pins if you want to try it. (Though I think your method would work just fine.)

No holes for taper pins either. I'll just use a set screw up from the bottom and then glue it.
Hi Pat. I got mine yesterday. I was actually going to ask you about the front sight setup. Thanks for posting that.
I've built several AR's, but was hoping to build a service/comp. rifle around this barrel. I'll be honest, high power would be completely new to me. I just got into Reading R&R so I'll try to find some guys there. But, before I start accumulating components, where can I find what is and isn't allowed, as far as parts are concerned in service rifle comp.?
Sorry to derail. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just got into Reading R&R so I'll try to find some guys there.

Sunday mornings during the winter we run our indoor / outdoor offhand matches. That would be a good time to meet the high-power crew. The first one starts on November 3rd, then we shoot every Sunday until springtime. Just show up, no pre-registration needed.

Sunday mornings during the winter we run our indoor / outdoor offhand matches. That would be a good time to meet the high-power crew. The first one starts on November 3rd, then we shoot every Sunday until springtime. Just show up, no pre-registration needed.
That sound great. I look forward to it. Can I just watch the first meet up or do I need to show up with gear. I wouldn't know what was required to be honest.

That sound great. I look forward to it. Can I just watch the first meet up or do I need to show up with gear. I wouldn't know what was required to be honest.

Sure, not a problem. You don't need much for gear, just a rifle, ammo, and ear-pro. A coat and glove would be nice to have but not required.

Sure, not a problem. You don't need much for gear, just a rifle, ammo, and ear-pro. A coat and glove would be nice to have but not required.
Great. I'll work on the coat & glove. Any sources, recommendations?
And once again, sorry for the thread hijack Pat. Thanks

Great. I'll work on the coat & glove. Any sources, recommendations?
And once again, sorry for the thread hijack Pat. Thanks

Pat doesn't mind. [grin]

Creedmoor Sports for the coat. I like Monard gloves, but it's a personal preference thing.

Don't buy anything yet though. I recommend trying on coats before you buy one, they're expensive. Chances are someone else will have your size so you can confirm it fits right before you fork over the dollars. Gloves too to a lesser extent. Highpower guys will let you try a coat for a string or two so you know what you're getting.

Pat doesn't mind. [grin]

Creedmoor Sports for the coat. I like Monard gloves, but it's a personal preference thing.

Don't buy anything yet though. I recommend trying on coats before you buy one, they're expensive. Chances are someone else will have your size so you can confirm it fits right before you fork over the dollars. Gloves too to a lesser extent. Highpower guys will let you try a coat for a string or two so you know what you're getting.
Can't wait. I'll leave this thread alone now and go back to terrorizing general & off topic with my witty sarcasm [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom