Barrels

Can any of you people that have never shot a prone match give me any good reasons why not to show up and give it a try????

I think a lot of people are intimidated and / or don't think they'll do well and will be embarrassed. Speaking from experience, the guys up at Nashua are some of the most laid-back nonjudgmental guys I've ever met. Come shoot, none of us bite! (Well, maybe Dave but he's just freaky like that.)

Same goes for Reading by the way - if you're safe you're welcome. It's an ego free zone.

Because it sounds boring. Prone is for sleeping
[smile]

I enjoy action shooting too, but to me there's nothing like the challenge I get from high-power. You can shoot both.

Last edited:
There are going to be plenty of prone matches out to 600 yards at Maine, NH and Mass Clubs in 2014 where rifles set up like that would be excellent to get involved shooting.

Nobody cares about anybody's score in any match so please don't be intimidated to show up and give it a go..
The only mandatory requirement is to be safe and keep your rounds on paper.

In all the Prone matches we run at NFGA (with the exception of the Championship ) coaching is allowed and encouraged for new shooters and extra sighters are allowed. You just let your scorer know when you're going for record.
Just get yourself at least a solid 100 yard zero and bring at least 69gr decent ammo and you'll be loaned a spotting scope, mat, coaching and anything else you would need. If obtaining ammo is a problem NFGA has plenty of Hornady 75 gr ammo that we sell to people the day of the match for shooting the match.

Given that;
Can any of you people that have never shot a prone match give me any good reasons why not to show up and give it a try????

This interest me . What type of gear would you recommend and how much ammo needed?
I've never really have had a chance to shoot pass 200 yards and getting advice would be nice.

I think a lot of people are intimidated and / or don't think they'll do well and will be embarrassed. Speaking from experience, the guys up at Nashua are some of the most laid-back nonjudgmental guys I've ever met. Come shoot, none of us bite! (Well, maybe Dave but he's just freaky like that.)

I've been shooting competitively in one way or another for 25 years. (Don't take that as as any kind of implication that I'm any good. Ive just participated)

I've never been to a single match where a novice who was safe, had an open mind, and checked his ego at the door was not welcomed with open arms. People will bend over backwards to help you.

I remember the first high power match I shot. I showed up with my 18" Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad.

The match organizers took pitty on me and squaded me with the Quaker Hill Rod and Gun team. As an impromptu member of their team, someone loaned me a match rifle with a trigger the likes of which I'd never felt before and a Krieger barrel. (It was all "shot out" according to the owner). I was even loaned a shooting jacket. My spotter was the top guy in the club.

I was humble and safe and it was an AWESOME learning experience.

Don

p.s. It took me 3 matches to learn how to use that Turner sling.

p.p.s. The botom line if you did't get it is to JUST GO TO A MATCH. Its easy.

O.K., let's talk about barrels. SR config, of course.
WOA has an almost 1 year backlog, so the Wilson I usually get, won't be got.

Who is everybody using?
Who should I go with?
Krieger?
Bartlein?
Satern?
??
And order directly from them or go through a retailer?
This will be the first time I go on my own with this. George made it so easy in the past. Thanks George!

I don't mind spending twice the price of the Wilson IF the barrel lasts twice as long.
I have next season's barrel already, but want to get 2015 taken care of.

(Hopefully we can get this thread back on the Service Rifle topic as Pat Intended) :)

I recently found a new source for Service Rifle barrels.

Over on USNM Jeff Lindblom mentioned a friend of his that works out of the Satern Shop making and selling Button Rifled barrels. (Completely separate from the cut rifled barrels that Satern has a great reputation for)

On Saterns website the button rifled barrels are described here > http://saternmachining.com/liberty_barrels__
Satern will only sell them to dealers in quantities of 10 or more. Jeff posted the name (Greg Meredith) and email of his friend that makes the button barrels at Satern for people to contact to buy single barrels direct from him.

The WOP Kreiger Upper I shot last year only has around 2k rounds thru it and I have a brand new Satern 1x7 Cut Rifle barrel I'll be shooting this year but I ordered one of these Button rifled barrels to throw on my #3 upper.

Greg makes them in 1x7 and 1x8 twist. He uses a Wylde chamber.
He has prebans in stock right now ready for delivery.
Cost is $210 for the barrel and $15 shipping. If you want a complete matched bolt too add $50

The barrels have the milled flats that most of us prefer for the windage adjustable front sight bases.

Here is the contact info
Greg Meredith [email protected]

MARS LLC
PO Box 105618
Jefferson City, MO 65110

Last edited:
This interest me . What type of gear would you recommend and how much ammo needed?
I've never really have had a chance to shoot pass 200 yards and getting advice would be nice.

One note for those that might be intimidated by 600 yards. I was nervous as hell my 1st time. Actually I was more nervous working the target pit. Any how
I will assume the 600 yards match uses the same target as XTC service rifle.
Now I don't say this to make it seem easy but new shooters don't usually have any clue to the size of the target.
The 600 yd MR 1 target is pretty big. The black bull is 36" and the 5 ring is 60"
It looks just like a SR1 or MR31 @ 100 yards. By no means does this make it easy to score well. It just can seem intimidating when you hear "if you can keep your shots on paper" . The guys at reading help me keep all my shots in the scoreing rings! Thank you.
I only have made it to reading 3 times. Each time I do better. Thanks to the good advice from those around me at those 3 shoots. My scores improve everytime I go. 660,690 and last time up 720. I'm heading up 5/17 if all goes well and then at least one more time after if lucky. I would really like to test my "varmint" build at the 600 prone match if possible. Although if I do well 5/17 I will have a hard time not shooting my service rifle.

Last edited:
Oh well...

I tried to get the thread back on topic.
Ok in my attempt to get a new barrel. I was looking to get a Wilson like the one on my RRA. When I couldn't find one in stock anywhere and the prices seemed high 375$ I bought another upper from RRA ordered just. Before xmas had it e d of Jan. Ordered a flat top service rifle. Changed out the handguard for free float tube and made it my "varmint" gun.

I meet a new guy at Bass Pro Shop and talked him into trying High Power... in his quest to find a rifle i pointed him to KeyStone Accuracy, which actually had an uppers and barrels as of Mid-March 2014. Not sure how many... but did have a couple sitting there.

Mark

Brand new Krieger 1-7.7 just shipped from WOA. Should have it by the 23rd. (Ordered October 17th.)

I think my current one (Krieger 1-6.5) still has a bit of life left though, so I might hold off on screwing it on for a while.

Last edited:
Brand new Krieger 1-7.7 just shipped from WOA. Should have it by the 23rd. (Ordered October 17th.)

I think my current one (Krieger 1-6.5) still has a bit of life left though, so I might hold off on screwing it on for a while.

You should have no problem getting $100 shipped in USNM for that barrel once you take it off.
( posting full known disclosure for round count of course )

Probably more if you post it on gunbroker.

Nice way to offset the cost of new tubes a bit.

Back
Top Bottom