Bass Pro On Fire

They are however a better store. I always swing by when I'm in Me.

Agreed, I paid a visit last Summer to the ME Cabelas and they had an impressive array of used guns for sale. However the gun counter manager who I spoke with doesn't understand MA laws and I'm sure from my discussion that he'd deny sales of most items to MA residents for fear of violating some MA law (and the unsigned/undated memo has made its way out of MA and is used to solidify those fears even though the memo is 100% bullshit).

BP (I understand) buys/sells used guns in all/most of their other stores. I suspect that they were terrorized by MA laws into NOT doing that in MA. With their MSRP policy on new handguns, I'm not sure that they would sell used guns at any reasonable prices however (and I've never visited any of their other stores to see what they do there).

my guess is a boat tech took a smoke break and chucked the butt in the mulch setting the fire happens almost eveyday on the fd i work for

Happened at both of the condo buildings that I have lived at. Now, no mulch is allowed, only crushed stone. I came home one day to my condo in canton and there was a mulch fire in the front of the building with visible flames just beneath the wooden balconies. No one else had noticed it.

When I worked landscaping/construction we received a semi shake trailer of bark mulch. Had to rotate it a few times a day to prevent fires. No cigs are needed to set it ablaze.

I bought my JM625 there for just over $525 IIRC. Good deal in my mind.

When I worked landscaping/construction we received a semi shake trailer of bark mulch. Had to rotate it a few times a day to prevent fires. No cigs are needed to set it ablaze.

Yes. Mulch is in a constant state of degeneration and thereby producing it's own heat source. Combine this with a dry & sunny day and the mulch can start itself afire.

This is not the first fire I have seen this summer in mulch. We were driving by a local big box store and the mulch outside was burning and smoldering. Local fd said a lot of mulch at shopping plazas in the area have shown similar problems. Sounds like something is up with the mulch.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Yes. Mulch is in a constant state of degeneration and thereby producing it's own heat source. Combine this with a dry & sunny day and the mulch can start itself afire.

This is not the first fire I have seen this summer in mulch. We were driving by a local big box store and the mulch outside was burning and smoldering. Local fd said a lot of mulch at shopping plazas in the area have shown similar problems. Sounds like something is up with the mulch.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

It's what Adam said. Nothing new. Haystacks, piles of fertilizer, mulch, lawn clippings, rags with solvent on them... They can all catch fire "spontaneously".

MilitaryPolice said:
Thank god that apparently the employees won't be losing anytime at work.

Now how about we start a petition to get cabelas to open a store in MA?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Cabelas is my favorite. You can get free shipping at the moment if you have a Cabelas visa card and no sales tax. If they had a store in MA, tax would be automatically added so a NH store would be a better option.

Cabelas is my favorite. You can get free shipping at the moment if you have a Cabelas visa card and no sales tax. If they had a store in MA, tax would be automatically added so a NH store would be a better option.

Neither is going to happen!

To others:

Thanks for the education on mulch. Now I finally don't feel like a fool for notifying MSP twice as I passed huge mulch-piles along I-495 that appeared to be "steaming" (probably smoldering fires now that I've been educated). Afterwards I was wondering if I was making a big deal out of nothing by reporting a non-issue . . . perhaps not! [This was years ago when I used to travel that way frequently and before I had cell phones.]

My New York son is on a volunteer fire department. They make runs every week during the summer for mulch fires. It's spontaneous combustion.

my guess is a boat tech took a smoke break and chucked the butt in the mulch setting the fire happens almost eveyday on the fd i work for

Mulch is a horror show combination with sloppy lit cigarette disposal. Sometimes the fire smolders and spreads below the surface for days before you're even aware that it's happening.

Mulch is a horror show combination with sloppy lit cigarette disposal. Sometimes the fire smolders and spreads below the surface for days before you're even aware that it's happening.

Mulch can spontaneously combust. There was a playground in Texas caught on video burning to the ground a few years back. Turns out there was about 3 ft of mulch on the playground that lit up on its own.

Oh look someone has an opinion different than me must be a d-bag; I have. Hows the Hitler youth group going?

Well you are taking pleasure in an event that leaves a bunch of people out of work for however long, that's kind of d-bag. Has nothing to do with whether anyone likes the store or not.

Jesus.......I drove by J&J materials on Rt6 in seekonk, they have piles and piles of death and desturction stockpiled.

Yes, but they turn it over at least daily and sell by the truckload so it isn't as much of a problem.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest there is a state permit for more than "X" yards of the material allowed to be stored onsite.

There will be news crews interviewing interpreters telling us what the "safe" depth of a mulch bed should be. I bet it is 3" or less.

My New York son is on a volunteer fire department. They make runs every week during the summer for mulch fires. It's spontaneous combustion.
?????

Did 20 yrs on a full time FD and never been to one "spontaneous mulch fire". [hmmm]

I only used mulch because it is supposed to hold in moisture at plant roots.
Maybe I should water the plants more often.
[thinking]
I'm glad the store didn't experience much damage. And there were no injuries.
Best regards

?????

Did 20 yrs on a full time FD and never been to one "spontaneous mulch fire". [hmmm]

I've never been full time OR part time on ANY fire department and I've witnessed one. It was at a strip mall convenience store in metrowest.

I also recall passing a mulch distributor in the general area of Chestnut Hill Mall, tucked in right alongside Rt 9 and often seeing smoke (perhaps steam) wafting up from the piles.

Last edited:
I've seen it take off and burn myself. Was in Marlboro at the Hannaford plaza a couple years ago, and noticed the mulch smoking on one of the divider islands in the parking lot. Thought someone threw out a butt carelessly. Went up to look at it, and the mulch was smoldering from underneath, and was just breaking through to start burning. i stomped it out and alerted one of the store owners across from it. It could have very easily involved the cars parked next to it had it gotten going.

ETA: Glad to hear everybody can come to work at BP tomorrow. My Dad is flying in Wednesday, and we plan on hitting it before we leave for our "fishing trip".

Last edited:
I walked out of my house one morning and noticed the mulch smoldering and burning. Worst part was that it was right next to the propane tank! Could have been disastrous. Have a pic of it somewhere....

@bankjob...

Thanks for the neg rep... A rough count shows about 10:1 against the "burn baby burn" comment, just FYI...

I hope wherever you work never suffers a similar fate and people rejoice because they had a bad day there...

Back
Top Bottom