• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Before I shoot my AR...

SKS Ray

NES Member
My RRA upper came pretty wet with oil inside the chamber. I haven't taken the bolt out yet but plan on doing so later so I can run a bore snake down the barrel before shooting it.
I'm guessing they coated everything in oil to protect from mositure during shipping. What I wanna know is how much of that should I clean off before shooting it tomorrow?

Clean all of the preservative off. They are no different than any other firearms. Oil is an incompressible fluid and you do not want any of it in any location exposed to 55,000+ psi.

All of it. If you wipe it down, dry to the touch, you will still have a thin coating remaining to help protect the metal. Excess oil gets filled with dust and dirt, and just clogs things up.

When you're done shooting, disassemble and clean as usual with bore cleaner, than finish up with a coating of oil. Again, wipe it off so it is dry to the touch.

I'm sure you know the barrel should be completely cleaned out (including any oil) before shooting...

Well I went and put about 60 rounds through it today and was pretty impressed. Military style sights still take some getting used to for me. My eyes are conditioned to notched Mauser/Mosin style sights.
Accuracy was still good though with tight groups at 50 yards. Recoil was very light. The 2 old military mags I got when I bought the upper functioned flawlessly. The trigger was crisp and much easier than any other semi auto I have. I can only imagine what the match triggers feel like.
Now I'm off to scour the net to find goodies for it.[grin]

Well I went and put about 60 rounds through it today and was pretty impressed. Military style sights still take some getting used to for me. My eyes are conditioned to notched Mauser/Mosin style sights.
Accuracy was still good though with tight groups at 50 yards. Recoil was very light. The 2 old military mags I got when I bought the upper functioned flawlessly. The trigger was crisp and much easier than any other semi auto I have. I can only imagine what the match triggers feel like.

Does anyone make aftermarket parts for the AR-15 platform? I haven't seen many.

[smile]

I took a ride HERE today[wink] My upper should be back in a week.

Take advantage of your C&R license (as if you need to be reminded [wink] ), for the discount.

Brownells and MidwayUSA have everything you'll possibly need.

M4M, don't just clean with a bore snake. You'll need a $2 chamber brush to clean where the bolt seats into the chamber. You stick it in up to the thick end of the brass brush and turn it in a circular motion to remove debris and dirt from the chamber mouth. It's tough to use a normal cleaning rod to do this because it swivels. The military cleaning kits (surplus) have a nice "T" handled 3 piece rod that is perfect for this, just use the handle section from the chamber end with the bolt removed.

Jay G, lots of people make aftermarket parts for AR's. Check on AR15.com, or do a search on Google.

Brownells and many other big houses have parts, and there are lots of trigger, rail, handguard, stock, bipod, barrel, springs and small parts available.

Check Bushmaster

Back
Top Bottom