Beretta 92F

Got a couple questions about this particular gun. I was watching a show on tv awhile back and they had a story about the gunsmith for the US Army shooting team. He said that the Beretta 92 doesnt shoot that well right out of the box, and for competition he has to do some work on them. Now, I was in the Ware gun shop and they had some Italian made Beretta 92's, does that mean that there are italian and american made Beretta's? Is one better than the other? I'm asking because I'd like to pick up a nice handgun for my wife, and was thinking 9mm. Comments please.

The only difference between the Italian and US is the language that the engravings are in. Other than that, they're identical. What's your wife going to be using it for? If it's just for the range, great, if she's looking for a carry piece, the 92 is big and heavy. (I have one) It's definitely not the most accurate gun I've ever shot, but it goes bang every single time and I've never had a failure of any kind.

I'm not flaming the 92. I owned one for years and liked it, but never really took to it and got rid of it. It seemed cumbersome to me and I was hard-pressed to ever get in a groove with this gun. It did go boom every time and I can't recall if it ever got hung up. I remember scratching my head as to why the US Military went to them, as I thought there were better candidates, (inner politics and greasing must be interesting). At one point, I tried to pawn it off on my then girlfriend and she absolutely hated it. Not sure it would be a good pick for wifey-poo....I'd let her handle it first and get a feel for it. Who knows? Maybe it was meant for her....

I'm asking because I'd like to pick up a nice handgun for my wife, and was thinking 9mm. Comments please.
Stop right there.

Is this gun for you or for your wife?

If it is for your wife, take her with you and let her pick it out. What you like and what fits your hand may not work for her. The 92 in particular has is a large gun with a large grip circumference -- too large for many women's hands.

Stop right there.

Is this gun for you or for your wife?

If it is for your wife, take her with you and let her pick it out. What you like and what fits your hand may not work for her. The 92 in particular has is a large gun with a large grip circumference -- too large for many women's hands.

+1
I tried one yesterday and hated how fat it felt in my hands. My wife would of hated it.

Nope,its for the wife. For target shooting. She has, and loves a Ruger Mark 2 Target pistol, but wants something a bit more. I suggested a 9mm. She's shot my Para .45 and its just too much for her. It is a double stack after all,and the kick is also, too much.
Thing is, I'd like for her to be able to try any gun out before we buy it. Would going to one of the public ranges be a good start?
Perhaps a small frame 9 or a .380? At the club we're going be rejoining, they have pin shoots and combat shoots, and she'd like to try them, would a 9 be substantial enough? Suggestions?
Oh, and I definately plan on letting her pick out what she wants, I was just going to suggest the Beretta, I know a couple people who have them and they seem to enjoy them.

Last edited:
Well thanks fellas, I appreciate that. Cuda, I live in Southbridge, where are you? I'm not familiar with the Harvard Sportsmans (?) Club, where would that be?
I tell ya, I had an idea a few years ago. There's been a few guns I'd like to try but don't know anybody who has one. Of course I could go to the club during an event and see if someone has one, and if they'd let me give it a whirl. But what I had in mind was kind of a test shoot at the club a couple times a year. Each member could bring what they have and let other members try them out.

Have her take a look at the FS Smith M&P 9mm, I think it is my new favorite pistol of all time, and with the interchangeable backstraps it would probably fit her hand well.

Have her take a look at the FS Smith M&P 9mm, I think it is my new favorite pistol of all time, and with the interchangeable backstraps it would probably fit her hand well.
Realize, however, that it will need a trigger job right away -- the legally mandated 10+ lb trigger is way too heavy.

Realize, however, that it will need a trigger job right away -- the legally mandated 10+ lb trigger is way too heavy.

I have one with a 4.5lb trigger, it's a sweetie.....

mP.jpg

MassQuatch I'm not personally a fan of Ware Gun Shop, but they do have an indoor range in the basement to allow patrons to try the guns. They can be prickly about it though.

Have your wife try some out there, or any club.

If the Boston Gun Range in Worcester is reopened (not sure what the status is) they have several guns to rent. Call them first I thought the Worcestrer COP shut them down after a suicide there, not sure if they reopened. http://www.bostongunrange.com

If you don't mind taking a ride to Springfield, the S&W Shooting Sports Center has a big variety of rentals including the M&P, and Walthers.

Last edited:
My gf and I are shopping for a 9mm for her as we speak. Couple thoughts on what we're looking into:

Browing Hi Power (already a "no," with the factory grips)
Beretta 92FS (a big "yes," but only with aftermarket sights)
Walther P99 and P99C (pending)
Smith & Wesson M&P9 and M&P9 Compact (pending)
Glock 17 and 19 (pending)

Hope that helps

My gf and I are shopping for a 9mm for her as we speak. Couple thoughts on what we're looking into:

Hope that helps

You probably know this, but the 92FS (unless it's been changed in the last year or so) does not have dovetailed sights, which means it's a serious PITA to change sights IME.

How are you going to get aftermarket sights on a 92FS, unless it's a
Vertec? (now discontinued, IIRC.) The regular beretta 92s seem to
have a non-replaceable front.

IMO the biggest shortcoming of the 92 is the long trigger pull from
DA.... women or even some men with smaller hands have a difficult time trying
to get the pad of their finger around the face of the trigger when the thing
is in DA mode.

I have a Beretta 92FS and a Sig P226... imo folks should take a look at
a P226 first, if possible. They're both decent handguns but the P226 is a
step above, IMO- and there is no shortage of sighting choices with the
P226, either.

-Mike