• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Functional Reproduction Brown Bess

BREWINZ

NES Member
I'm looking to buy or assemble a Short Land Pattern Brown Bess. What's the best option available these days?

The Pedersoli has a good reputation, and they're expensive, but from my research (The Muzzleloading Forum), they're not what they used to be at all. I read some nightmare stories with pictures to back them up. The Rifle Shoppe was another option I've researched, but again, the complaints about their stock not fitting their own parts are troubling. Offerings from various Indian manufacturers also seem to be plagued with QC issues and lower quality materials.

Anyone have some insight? Should I search for a used one? I'm just looking for something worth the money. I don't mind paying, but I don't want to overpay for junk.

This is about the kit, in particular, but if this is what they're selling for that cost, I'm skeptical.

I'm looking to buy or assemble a Short Land Pattern Brown Bess. What's the best option available these days?

The Pedersoli has a good reputation, and they're expensive, but from my research (The Muzzleloading Forum), they're not what they used to be at all. I read some nightmare stories with pictures to back them up. The Rifle Shoppe was another option I've researched, but again, the complaints about their stock not fitting their own parts are troubling. Offerings from various Indian manufacturers also seem to be plagued with QC issues and lower quality materials.

Anyone have some insight? Should I search for a used one? I'm just looking for something worth the money. I don't mind paying, but I don't want to overpay for junk.
I would go for something used and in good condition. I’ve bought several ML off Muzzleloading forum without any issues.

I picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess in the summer of 2019 from Cabela's. Since then it looks like the price has gone up almost $500! I'm happy with mine, and it is loads of fun to shoot - especially with homemade paper cartridges. The fit and finish aren't top notch, but they are decent as shown in the following pics:

IMG_5207.jpg
IMG_5208.jpg
IMG_5209.jpg

Before I bought this I researched reproductions and found that the Indian muskets are relatively cheap, but you do seem to get what you pay for. Miroku made a good repro in the 1970's, and these can sometimes be found used. Like used Pedersoli's though, asking prices are usually close to what a Pedersoli costs new.

Edited to add: Wow, used ones are selling for $1,300 on Gunbroker!

Last edited:
I picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess in the summer of 2019 from Cabela's. Since then it looks like the price has gone up almost $500! I'm happy with mine, and it is loads of fun to shoot - especially with homemade paper cartridges. The fit and finish aren't top notch, but they are decent as shown in the following pics:

View attachment 798714
View attachment 798713
View attachment 798712

Before I bought this I researched reproductions and found that the Indian muskets are relatively cheap, but you do seem to get what you pay for. Miroku made a good repro in the 1970's, and these can sometimes be found used. Like used Pedersoli's though, asking prices are usually close to what a Pedersoli costs new.

Thank you!

I think the covid measures may have negatively impacted both price and quality. It's crazy how expensive they've become. When I saw a post-2020 kit with those issues, I hit the pause button.

I have a Miroku repro that my Dad won in a raffle back in 1976 and passed down to me. It had hung over his mantle for years and never shot before he passed it along to me. I got supplies for it and learned to roll my own "cartridges" for it. I then drilled until I could load and fire 3 rounds a minute such as was the requirement for a Musketman back in the Revolution.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6cUpEfFb3I

Lots of fun as Rockrivr points out.

Try this place in NH. NES did a group buy from them several years ago and I bought a Brown Bess from them. Still have it and it’s a ton of fun.

I have a Brown Bess from these folks. Beautiful, fires well and zero concerns. Good products, nice people and a patriotic family run business.

I have a Brown Bess from these folks. Beautiful, fires well and zero concerns. Good products, nice people and a patriotic family run business.

What I've read about Middlesex hasn't been positive. I realize the internet is mostly for complaining, but they source their materials from India, I've read complaints about shipping times (years), and their own site says:

Q #2: How long does shipping take?
A: At this time we have a big backlog in the shop, things that need to be prepped (in other words, ALL guns) will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks or even much longer. Read that again and read all of the words this time as they are all important! I did not just say you will get your gun 8 weeks from today, I said it will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks or even much longer.
Usually much longer.

I'm sure they're OK, but I'm not looking to enter into a months long wait for what is essentially an Indian gun. Much obliged, though!

So an option for you is to visit the Marlboro Gun Show. There is a guy there that has a large booth dedicated to everything flintlock rifle related. Stocks, barrels, firing mechanisms and all the parts you could need. Bought a number of Possibles from him over the years.

So an option for you is to visit the Marlboro Gun Show. There is a guy there that has a large booth dedicated to everything flintlock rifle related. Stocks, barrels, firing mechanisms and all the parts you could need. Bought a number of Possibles from him over the years.
Noted. Thank you!

Try this place in NH. NES did a group buy from them several years ago and I bought a Brown Bess from them. Still have it and it’s a ton of fun.

I bought a flintlock pistol off Gunbroker several years ago. Was only an hour from me so I drove over and picked it up. What a wild dude. Lives like many on NES only fantasize about. Was there probably two hours and got the grand tour. I’d feel safer if he lived closer…

The gun was everything I could hope for. Not a museum piece and was probably made by someone barefoot but works flawlessly. Was great for the price. I’d definitely buy another.

I always thought their prices were good, and they offer some pistols no one else has, including a Blunderbuss.

However, I never purchased because of mixed reviews. I will look into them again when I decide to buy the blunderbuss.

But I promised @Spartan65 I wouldn't buy any guns for the next 6-8 months.

I always thought their prices were good, and they offer some pistols no one else has, including a Blunderbuss.

However, I never purchased because of mixed reviews. I will look into them again when I decide to buy the blunderbuss.

But I promised @Spartan65 I wouldn't buy any guns for the next 6-8 months.

NES hates when I’m right.

No offence guys but Middlesex sucks,he made me wait for over two years for a musket
that only took me 2 weeks to get from Access Heritage Inc. They are both from india
but the three that I picked up from these people worked, and functioned very well.
The only thing you have to do with these muskets is drill out the touch hole.because
they come from Canada with out them drilled.So they are not treated as a firearm
and can be shipped with no problem.

No offence guys but Middlesex sucks,he made me wait for over two years for a musket…
I couldn’t imagine running a little family business from my home and have to deal with someone halfway around the world doing the same.

Dixie Gun Works has been around for decades. This is their offer for a Brown Bess. They have a lot of comments in the revew section. back in the day, I bought a lot of stuff from Dixie, including a replica U.S. M1861. (Back in 1984, I bought my Charleville musket new from Navy Arms for $325!) Dixie Gun Works.png

Dixie Gun Works has been around for decades. This is their offer for a Brown Bess. They have a lot of comments in the revew section. back in the day, I bought a lot of stuff from Dixie, including a replica U.S. M1861. (Back in 1984, I bought my Charleville musket new from Navy Arms for $325!)View attachment 799358

Certainly looks like a viable option. Much obliged!

No offence guys but Middlesex sucks,he made me wait for over two years for a musket
that only took me 2 weeks to get from Access Heritage Inc. They are both from india
but the three that I picked up from these people worked, and functioned very well.
The only thing you have to do with these muskets is drill out the touch hole.because
they come from Canada with out them drilled.So they are not treated as a firearm
and can be shipped with no problem.
Made you wait?

We need more details.

Did he tell you that you would get it in a few weeks but didn't deliver for 2 years?

Was it because he had a list of people waiting for them ahead of you?

Was this during a time like the pandemic when shipping stuff was a pain?

Jesus $1600 for something that is only going to be popped off once or twice. Don’t forget to clean it after. Sure will look good hanging on the wall though…

Jesus $1600 for something that is only going to be popped off once or twice. Don’t forget to clean it after. Sure will look good hanging on the wall though…
Prices on muzzleloaders have gone up a lot. I had an old TC renegade that I wanted to trade. First time up at KTP they wanted to give me 100 bucks, said NA, I'll keep it for that.

I brought it back during or after the vid and got like 400 bucks. I think I paid 100 for it back in the 90's and never shot it since we went to modern muzzleloaders.

Like lever actions and stuff, I do see these things deflating a bit.

Made you wait?

We need more details.

Did he tell you that you would get it in a few weeks but didn't deliver for 2 years?

Made you wait?

We need more details.

Went on a list,two years later I was still waiting.So I found this other place Access Heritage,and in two weeks I had the item.

Went on a list,two years later I was still waiting.So I found this other place Access Heritage,and in two weeks I had the item.

Unfortunately, your story is consistent with what I've read. The site says "6-8 weeks, but can be MUCH longer." It appears years is the standard wait time now. I'm sure he's a nice guy and I don't wish anyone harm, but I'm not waiting years.

There are BP competitions around New England.

But the crowd is getting old and some are a**holes.

I went to a turkey shoot at Pembroke once with a Pedersoli reproduction, one of the guys was pissed becuase it has an adjustable rear sight. I wasnt playing with the sight during the shoot, but in his mind it was BS and I should not have been allowed. Keep in mind everyone was in their late 50s, 60s, I was around 25 at the time. Way to keep the sport going. Then one day they get disappointed when people are dying and a younger generation doesn't replace them.

The BPCR crows seems to be a lot nicer.

Back
Top Bottom