• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best place to get a case of .40 cal?

Basically, I'm in need of a case of .40 S&W practice ammo (WWB, UMC, Blazer, etc) on the cheap. I no longer have anything chambered in .40 so it's been awhile since I've bought any. Does anyone know who has the best price for 1,000 rounds? Is going to Dick's and buying 2, 500 rd cases my best bet with that sale they have going on? I need the ammo by Sept 19. Any help is appreciated.

Basically, I'm in need of a case of .40 S&W practice ammo (WWB, UMC, Blazer, etc) on the cheap. I no longer have anything chambered in .40 so it's been awhile since I've bought any. Does anyone know who has the best price for 1,000 rounds? Is going to Dick's and buying 2, 500 rd cases my best bet with that sale they have going on? I need the ammo by Sept 19. Any help is appreciated.

did you check walmarts prices?
i think i picked up some winchester .40, box of 100 for about $28.

Give Riley's a call in Hooksett NH. The prices are sweet!

Not a bad idea... However the savings would have to be pretty significant to warrant a drive from Westborough. [hmmm]

did you check walmarts prices?
i think i picked up some winchester .40, box of 100 for about $28.

I saw that too... So far it seems like the best bet at 280 bucks + tax, assuming they have 10 boxes in stock. I was just hoping I could get a better deal if I bought in bulk.

Not a bad idea... However the savings would have to be pretty significant to warrant a drive from Westborough. [hmmm]

I saw that too... So far it seems like the best bet at 280 bucks + tax, assuming they have 10 boxes in stock. I was just hoping I could get a better deal if I bought in bulk.

i picked up some remington .40 also, i think it was around $82 for 250. thats more then winchester, and i didnt notice any difference in overall performance.

$259 for CCI Blazer from Riley's for anyone else interested.

I talked to a few police supply places... The mark up for civilians is just silly, but that is for department order only.

Any other suggestions?

Cheapest is probably going to be rigging a dicks coupon/sale deal on rem
UMC.

I'd wager that TRAMLAW WWB price is gonna be cheapest otherwise, but not sure where it's at now. I know the .45 ACP WWB is like $30/100 now or some crap.

-Mike

Just called Dick's... The "sale" price is $14.98/box of 50, 10 boxes to a case. Comes out to $314 for 1000 rounds unless I can string together some coupons. So far Walmart wins assuming they have 1000 rounds in stock. *sigh*

ETA - Dick's with THIS coupon gets you down to $284 with tax... so far that's the new winner. Only ~$90 mark up from department cost [wink]

Last edited:
You could call Four Seasons or another gun store and see if they would give you a deal for buying that many rounds.

You could call Four Seasons or another gun store and see if they would give you a deal for buying that many rounds.

they don't do "case discounts" because thier ammo is marked down as low as it could go - according to their website..

i've asked in person and was told the same. one guy told me to go up to NH if was looking to get case discounts...

Yeah.... their website claims $37.95 for a box of 100 WWB 40 cal... All set, thanks. [hmmm]

Don't forget that Carl MIGHT order 100 cases of a given ammo in one month, Dicks probably orders 10,000 cases, maybe more. What kind of a deal do you think Carl can get vs what the megabox stores get? In his defense, he's probably making maybe 10 points on ammo, less on guns. Welcome to the Walmart-ization of America.

Don't forget that Carl MIGHT order 100 cases of a given ammo in one month, Dicks probably orders 10,000 cases, maybe more. What kind of a deal do you think Carl can get vs what the megabox stores get? In his defense, he's probably making maybe 10 points on ammo, less on guns. Welcome to the Walmart-ization of America.

Oh trust me, I understand the logic behind their pricing scheme, and I'm not knocking them for it. Everyone is entitled to make a buck. And, I'm all for supporting small business. However, given my situation which I wont get in to here, I need 1,000 rounds on the cheap. [wink] Also, I think this thread has been helpful to a few others looking for bulk ammunition as well.

Oh trust me, I understand the logic behind their pricing scheme, and I'm not knocking them for it. Everyone is entitled to make a buck. And, I'm all for supporting small business. However, given my situation which I wont get in to here, I need 1,000 rounds on the cheap. [wink] Also, I think this thread has been helpful to a few others looking for bulk ammunition as well.

[smile] yep

was that $259 for blazer? LOL, it might just be worth my while this weekend... i'm going to check around too.

if I can get a case for $250 or less within a 50 to 60 miles (adding 4 to 5 gallons cost of gas)... that would be absolute ta-ta's.

I second your [rofl][rofl][rofl] and raise you two more [rofl][rofl]

Working at DSG and seeing first hand mark-up on ammo makes me cringe when I see what not only Dicks, but other dealers charge for ammo. Please, spare me the: "but Dicks Sporting Goods is a big box store and has more buying power"....Crapola. Ammo cost is the biggest farce....Dealers mark it up so high because they can and folks are willing to cough it up. When I can buy ammo and have it shipped to my door for less than my FFL charges, something is amiss. In one case, I bought Speer ammo for 24-cents a round, (shipped) - my FFL was charging over a dollar per....Mark-up?

MassMark, I disagree with your opinion on ammo "Mark-up". I have worked at Gaylans (Pre-DicksSG), Dicks SG, Local Gun Shop and I never saw the crazy mark-ups suggested. Have you seen any Distributor price sheets lately? or in the recent past? Have you noticed the Distributor shipping policies change over time? Have you seen the overall increase in all ammo prices? Are you aware of the shipping increased cost? or the "Fuel Surcharges"? I will tell you that "Sale" price ammo (from the dist.) sells instantly, and that every new price sheet only goes up. The FFL can't replace the ammo just sold, for the former price...it always seems to go up.
Sorry, but the increased demand for raw materials (metals) has been a market force for some time and will remain so, and that will trickle down to ammo sales. Just check the newspaper...how about the other day, 2 DCR employees caught having stolen and scrapped metal castings from the longfellow bridge. They got $12,000 in scrap money for $500,000 in value. Don't blame the retailer, understand the real problem....Raw Material Demand, worldwide industrial growth, fuel costs etc.

MassMark, I disagree with your opinion on ammo "Mark-up". I have worked at Gaylans (Pre-DicksSG), Dicks SG, Local Gun Shop and I never saw the crazy mark-ups suggested. Have you seen any Distributor price sheets lately? or in the recent past? Have you noticed the Distributor shipping policies change over time? Have you seen the overall increase in all ammo prices? Are you aware of the shipping increased cost? or the "Fuel Surcharges"? I will tell you that "Sale" price ammo (from the dist.) sells instantly, and that every new price sheet only goes up. The FFL can't replace the ammo just sold, for the former price...it always seems to go up.
Sorry, but the increased demand for raw materials (metals) has been a market force for some time and will remain so, and that will trickle down to ammo sales. Just check the newspaper...how about the other day, 2 DCR employees caught having stolen and scrapped metal castings from the longfellow bridge. They got $12,000 in scrap money for $500,000 in value. Don't blame the retailer, understand the real problem....Raw Material Demand, worldwide industrial growth, fuel costs etc.

Dittos
I work in a gun store and the only that changes is the wholesale price to us.
Our margin remains the same. We're not gouging.

$15.99 for a box of Winchester White Box 9mm, (50ct), at a local FFL is all that needs to be said. When I can get it shipped to my door for less than that, (from a dealer not a wholesaler), then I don't know what you would call it. Free trade I guess?

PS: I never mentioned anything about "gouging"... I just find the prices too high as to be beneficial to buy locally.

Contrary to what people say,I still believe that local dealers are marking up the ammo a lot more than 10%,most likely because the AG helped in eliminating the online competition.

Lack of competition equates to high prices.

The group of people most likely to fight any legislation for the repeal of that online ammo sales ban would be our favorite dealers since they have the most to lose.They would have to actually compete for our ammo business,and why would they want to do that ?

I have not bought ammo from any dealer in MA for years (except WalMart) because in my conspriracy clouded mind,they are the ones that applauded the online ammo sale bullshit.

Contrary to what people say,I still believe that local dealers are marking up the ammo a lot more than 10%,most likely because the AG helped in eliminating the online competition.

Lack of competition equates to high prices.

The group of people most likely to fight any legislation for the repeal of that online ammo sales ban would be our favorite dealers since they have the most to lose.They would have to actually compete for our ammo business,and why would they want to do that ?

I have not bought ammo from any dealer in MA for years (except WalMart) because in my conspriracy clouded mind,they are the ones that applauded the online ammo sale bullshit.

It's simply not true. If you were in the business you would understand. Conspiracy theories may make people feel good, but they aren't based on any rational thought or understanding of business.

True,I am not in the business,but a simple understanding of a business model is all anyone really needs to know.

Lack of competition leads to higher prices.

Tell me I'm wrong and not rational.

No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that you in particular are irrational. Bad choice of words.[grin]

Like any business, we obtain our supplies from wholesalers. Like any business we have a standard markup for retail. That markup is a percentage. The percentage remains the same no matter what the wholesale price. If for example, we mark up 20% and paid the wholesaler $100 for the ammo, we would price it at $120. If the wholesaler raised his prices to $200, we would still charge 20% but the price would be $240.

It wouldn't make any sense for a small business to unilaterally engage in any kind of price fixing because we couldn't compete.

The problem with ammo prices, as someone else said earlier, is the cost of the raw commodities, lead, brass, etc. And those prices are largely driven by speculators. We saw the same thing with gas prices. The retailers on the tail end get all the blame but are the ones who have the least to do with the price than anyone.

Yes, any huge dealer such as Dick's or Cabela's can go to the wholesaler and negotiate lower prices based on a large lot purchases. The average gun store doesn't have that kind of leverage. In order to pay the bills and stay in business we have to charge what we charge. It's not a conspiracy, it's just the way business operates. That's why so many small gun stores haven't made it. People are willing to spend $20 in gas to drive to a big store to save $15 on some product and think they are getting a deal. Trust me, I hear it from customers all the time.

It's hard to make some people understand.

There is no conspiracy. [grin]

$15.99 for a box of Winchester White Box 9mm, (50ct), at a local FFL is all that needs to be said. When I can get it shipped to my door for less than that, (from a dealer not a wholesaler), then I don't know what you would call it. Free trade I guess?

PS: I never mentioned anything about "gouging"... I just find the prices too high as to be beneficial to buy locally.

IMO this has changed somewhat over time. I think the recent price spikes have given dealers extra "invitation" to price gouge.

If one is gonna buy locally, it's best to know the FFL so you can at least get it for a price close to what they're paying for it at.

WalMart has always been a pretty good gauge. It's pretty difficult to beat their pricing, at least on 9mm and .45 ACP. Not sure what else is now out there on the net, but a lot of times I look at online dealers and after you add in the $20 it costs to ship a case of ammo it often ends up being a wash with walmart, with a few exceptions here and there.

-Mike

Last edited:
As stated above "because the AG helped in eliminating the online competition." I disagree, the Ag's banning of internet sales never kept FFL's up at night. And before the banning, there was never any impulse to keep the price low, because of internet sales. If anything, Walmart and DSG had more of an influence, with bulk buying power , sales and coupons.

Here is an example: A large distributor (To FFL's) in MN. has Speer Lawman 230gr.fmj, item# CCI53967 at $20.73 a box right now. What is Remington 45 230gr fmj right now at DSG? $14.00 or $15.00 right now? And the Speer pricing is before Shipping! Unless you meet the Minimum order quantity and then you're still paying a Fuel Surcharge. Come on guys!

Not to start any trouble or controversy here but I do own a gun store. To buy from Winchester direct, I forget the exact number but it was in the millions of dollars per year of Winchester sales to be a distributor. So, all of us gun dealers have to buy ammo from distributors. Walmart has huge warehouses and buys direct, not only that but they also get a deal for buying so much volume. Our cost of ammo, for the most part, is the same or more than Wallmart sells it for. I just had to put my two cents in. Hey, there is nothing we can do about it. I even tell people they can get ammo cheaper but people like to buy it from me to help out with buisness and for the convienience. Actually I have some shotshells on sale right now for my cost, just as a "lost leader", hopefully they'll buy something else when there in the store.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom