Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

So... Things to consider planting next Spring for food sustainability and not having to wait until August-September before filling your belly...

Spinach and Greenleaf lettuce since mid-May, (still harvesting)
Turnip Greens & Beet Greens since late-May, (still harvesting)
Shishito peppers since mid-June, (still harvesting)
Turnip roots starting now...

Will be using Daikon radish as a cover crop this Fall in my raised beds and will also produce an edible crop if I time it right. First time though, so some tweaking will
naturally be required. I may sow rows in 1 week increments and record the results...

Edit: Forgot to add, nibbled on my first sugar snap pea pod today. Nice 3-incher with good flavor. Lots of flowers, plenty of pollinators. Should produce well...
Edit 2: Also have been snacking on radish pods for a week without denting the supply. They will start getting woody in another week or so. Extremely tasty...

Thank You God!

Last edited:
So... Things to consider planting next Spring for food sustainability and not having to wait until August-September before filling your belly...

Spinach and Greenleaf lettuce since mid-May, (still harvesting)
Turnip Greens & Beet Greens since late-May, (still harvesting)
Shishito peppers since mid-June, (still harvesting)
Turnip roots starting now...

Will be using Daikon radish as a cover crop this Fall in my raised beds and will also produce an edible crop if I time it right. First time though, so some tweaking will
naturally be required. I may sow rows in 1 week increments and record the results...

Edit: Forgot to add, nibbled on my first sugar snap pea pod today. Nice 3-incher with good flavor. Lots of flowers, plenty of pollinators. Should produce well...

Thank You God!

"Thank you God !" is exactly the gratitude and praise we should give our Heavenly Father for all that he provides every one of us. Every single day.

Thank you Matt

I just got my Daikon radish cover crop seeds in. 10 pounds. That's a whole lot of seed. Should store well and provide years of cover and edibles...
From what I've read Daikon helps improve soil, breaks up compacted soil, keeps weed growth down, stores nitrogen for Spring plantings, increases water
infiltration, lots of biomass to till under for a green manure, protects against erosion. Tasty too...

1656277339700.png 1656277373843.png

Already looking forward to Daikon/carrot slaw...

1656277771136.png

Plus...

1656277835423.png

Did I mention you can grow sprouts and microgreens from it too...???

1656278002335.png

Last edited:
Planning on saving some seed stock for the next season. Not sure what cost/availability of seed will be then... :rolleyes:

Doing my research now...

He needs a pair of shears to eliminate all the rough handling. The seed pods are very fragile and drop off easily. He's losing half his seeds from stalk to bag using a knife.
He say's he's not concerned about the self-seeding but his instructions should be more thorough for those who don't want to lose half their seed to drop off.

I've got another kale plant that I'm waiting for the seed pods to dry out to harvest. I put a bin under the whole plant and cut it off then crush the pods to break them open and drop their seeds.

Probably try the daikon next year, interesting. Just have to run it by my garden resource officer.
50 days from sow to serve and the leaves are very tasty too, so you can be eating within a month after planting.

Healthy Fast food...

1656279038319.png

Also pulling together storage bins and media for long storage of purple-top turnips and potatoes. I'm thinking stackable bins and straw...

1656279294803.png 1656279591152.png

And we’re off! I still have plenty of lettuce, herbs, and spinach going out on my deck. Today I harvested the first yellow
squash and pickle cukes. There’s some larger cukes not ready to pick yet, same with zucchini. Plenty of small green tomatoes and cherry toms, banana peppers, and some other pots of goodness. The squash surprised me, seems a bit early maybe?

Beans, peas, beets, onions with sunflowers getting tall. It should be week or two to start harvesting peas. Potatoes are doing very well as 50% are from last year

I've got 12 Girls (Hens) moving over in a month or so. I need to finish the coop in short order. Plenty of room on 11 acres.

mashed turnip with S&P, butter, onion and garlic tonight as a side dish...
We had a nice beef vegetable soup today. Cabbage, onions, some small carrots from this year's garden and some last year's frozen corn and some frozen zucchini from the garden along with home canned garden tomatoes from 2 seasons ago along with half of a beef roast from my neighbor's grass fed beef. The only thing in it that was store bought was the celery which had to be used up.

Tonight will be the last of the spring purple broccoli, the (purple and green) snow peas, some of our zucchini that's now coming (and is about to become an avalanche), Swiss chard (just because), scallions, and last year's (canned) tomatoes with Farabella's wheat-free orecchiette:
in a loosey-goosey pasta primavera.

Tonight will be the last of the spring purple broccoli, the (purple and green) snow peas, some of our zucchini that's now coming (and is about to become an avalanche), Swiss chard (just because), scallions, and last year's (canned) tomatoes with Farabella's wheat-free orecchiette:
in a loosey-goosey pasta primavera.
This is great gf gnocchi… 3 packs of 17.6 oz for $24 via Amazon. Homemade is best, but nice to keep in the pantry. BA1CC21E-AE91-4815-AC5D-A89B4634FDAA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom