Big E: December 11th and 12th, 2010

I went, first time going to a gun show in a long time. I did have fun looking around, but I too, don't get the idea of going to a gun show decked out in a Hitler Youth uniform. I mean, I understand re-enacting, and even collecting the stuff, but going to a gun show dressed up like that o_O

I went, first time going to a gun show in a long time. I did have fun looking around, but I too, don't get the idea of going to a gun show decked out in a Hitler Youth uniform. I mean, I understand re-enacting, and even collecting the stuff, but going to a gun show dressed up like that o_O

In the past, the ones walking around dressed like that are vendors who are "advertising their wares"! [thinking]

I haven't seen any foot traffic in "uniform" other than 1 or 2 folks that are big into Civil War memorabilia/guns.

In the northeast this is the only show I've been to. I've been to others in the South which were excellent.

How does this rate with other shows in the northeast?

In the northeast this is the only show I've been to. I've been to others in the South which were excellent.

I think that Marlboro actually has more vendor tables (usually 4-500 tables occupied) and a better venue at this point. All Northeast Shows suck compared to other parts of the Country however.

I even think that Wilmington (probably 400-450 tables occupied) is now better than W. Springfield. The vendors have to pay $5/car/day to park too and the fact that they have the largest halls in the state, but are only 1/3-1/2 full makes it look like a small show. It's perceptually better to have a small hall packed with tables than a large hall only 1/3-1/2 full and aisles that you could drive two cars down, side-by-side.

The last W. Springfield show I went to was a few years ago and I counted 300-325 actual tables in the huge hall! I don't know if that number has improved or not but these halls can handle 600-900 tables, so it looks empty.

I think the show at the big E has been going downhill for a while, its pretty tough for the dealers to make any money when the show promoters are nailing them $75 to $85 per table, plus parking. also the public has to pay parking plus $10 just to get in. A lot of the gun dealers are no longer attending so the promoters lower thier standards and allow flea market stuff in to fill the tables. Many yrs. ago that show was the premier show in the Northeast, plenty of gun dealers, enough to fill 800 to 900 tables and there was always a line to get in on Sat and Sun, but no longer, last time i went i got there at 9:05 and walked right in, no line. I for one no longer go, not worth the ride for the reward.

I got a hogue slip on grip for $2 so even after paying the $10 to get in I still made out ok haha. Overall I wasn't terribly impressed. I did see some decently priced glocks and there was a bunch of other stuff I didn't care for or want. I was really hoping to find a decent holster for cheap.

Civil War and Revolutionary War reenactors are one thing, but guys dressed up as SS are a bridge too far.

It's the one time they can play dress up.

I see these guys and want to punch them really really hard in the throat.

Seriously,one year at the Springfield show I was trying to talk my friend into messing with them and try to pick a fight,there were 3 of them..Not the smartest thing to do but I hate Nazis,and people who dress like them with a passion.Some of those losers go to Harvard SC and play dress up as well,about a platoon of them.

The West Springfield Gun / Knife shows were awesome about 15 years ago. I went to the two earlier this year and like a stairway, every single show gets a little more lame... It's been a tradition for me and the old man for years, clili dogs and beer, but, it's quickly loosing it's appeal and I'll NEVER eat there again after the last trip. Personally, I like to walk around with a beer in my hand and looks at toys. [wink]
The guys at AAA guns are nice folks once they warm up to you, I swing thru the local shop now and again.
Tombstone had some nice stuff at the one a few month ago but there are almost no deals to be had an longer at the shows.
I'm pretty much at the point where I would rather get in the car and take a spin directly to a shop in MA and get something edible with a good beer after than walking around that place. ...I'm just a bit saddened by the degradation it's been going thru, thru the years. [sad2]

AAA you will get better deals at their shop than you will at the show. We go when we can, the last couple of years had too many things going on.
Len and I disagree totally on the Big E show and marlboro. Marlboro there are not any more tables than the Big E show. Marlboro you're just crammed into a smaller space, with the same amount of tables.

AAA you will get better deals at their shop than you will at the show. We go when we can, the last couple of years had too many things going on.
Len and I disagree totally on the Big E show and marlboro. Marlboro there are not any more tables than the Big E show. Marlboro you're just crammed into a smaller space, with the same amount of tables.

I love you Sue, but yes this is one area that we disagree on and probably always will.

"Perception is Reality" was a favorite phrase of some folks at DEC back in the day.

Putting 300 or even 500 tables in a hall that comfortably holds 900-1000 tables makes the place look "empty" to many/most people and exudes a vision of "failure" (especially when Carole's initial advertising is for a 900 table show). That is why the professional trade shows at places like the World Trade Center in Boston put up poles with full-length curtains to "make a small area" when they have small shows there. For those not familiar with the actual hall lay-out it gives a nice cozy, "occupied" perception of the show. [I used to work a lot of professional computer trade shows there.]

A number of vendors that I'm friendly with told me of seeing the Big E Staff handing Carole free parking passes for the vendors . . . which they allege she turns around and sells to the vendors for $5.00 each . . . this has pissed off a number of them. A vendor with let's say 8 tables and a staff of 4-5 people must then pay parking for each of them (if they don't car-pool) x 3 days (setup Friday night isn't free parking I've been told).

The Big E restrictions on having any ammo or powder for sale at the show (excluding the tent) limits revenue for the dealers who work that show. At other venues they can sell ammo along with the guns/accessories/primers/powder all at the same table.

The net result is that a number of good vendors no longer will work that show.

I KNOW that the last Big E show I attended looked sparse so I did a real count of tables/row x rows and came up with between 300 and 325 tables. No denying that.

When they held shows at Foxboro the hall could only hold 325 tables and every one was filled. It gave a perception of "success". The Concord NH (different promoter) shows are the same way, there is a "waiting list" for tables as the place only holds ~300 tables and is always full (with narrow aisles).

I used to work computer flea market shows at Marlboro so I suggested it to Carole as a replacement venue (for Foxboro after anti-gun folks bought that location). The hall only holds 500 tables and the first few shows were totally full. It's now running ~400-450 full tables, but oftentimes it's the same weekend as one of the huge shows in PA so some vendors are heading there (700-1200 table show w/no restrictions on what can be sold vs. 500 table show with MA restrictions). It's still on average the largest (by number of occupied tables) show in New England.

Like some others here, I used to attend Big E gun shows back 25-30 years ago, and they were HUGE, needed a full 8 hours to hope to cover the place. So I look back vs. what I see these days and am hugely disappointed at what's happened to that show. MA anti-gun laws certainly don't help, but greed ($25 for two people to attend/park) and the dwindling table count just don't make it as attractive to the dealers or attendees.

Sue, I didn't plant anything in people's minds that reported no lines, etc. in this thread prior to my remarks. We are both entitled to our opinions . . . but opinions aside, numbers of tables and lines to get in/crowds on the floor (or any lack thereof) speak for themselves. Personally I wish their were successful, large shows in all four corners and center of the state, but it just isn't going to happen in MA!

You have to pay for parking here? Last two time I went I just drove in and parked, didn't pay... This past weekend there was one lady in a booth when you drive in but she didn't seem to be paying attention or doing anything productive so I just drove by real slow and she didn't yell at me to pay or anything either. Both times though I did go at 3pm and I know they close up for the day at about 5pm.

I've only gone to one Big E show and it was a disappointment. Shows in Massachusetts are pretty lame, but they are still gun shows. I've gone to a couple in New Hampshire that were much better. Of the MA shows, I like Marlboro and Wilmington the best. Of course that's because I got a couple of good deals at each, so I'm inclined to favor them.

I really hope that on one of my trips to Texas or somewhere down south I can get to a gun show. I just never seem to hit it right or just don't have spare time.

I didn't see anyone dressed in Nazi gear and I was there from 9am to 12:40pm. I did see memorabilia, but folks do legitimately collect that stuff. I also got some great deals on odds-n-ends, (repack kits, gun oil, pistol belt, cleaning supplies, etc) and was encouraged to see ammo prices down. Federal 9mm 124gr FMJ at $189.00 for 1k was refreshing to see and I got a good deal on Privi M855 as well. I had not been to the Big E show since I bought my SOCOM-16 4-5 years ago and remember there were a lot more tables back then. The crew at Pete's ran a really good area and AAA, well - not much changes. They had the same "can;t be bothered" attitude there as they do in their store and their prices were looney. Still, they moved some firearms out, so they must be doing something right I guess...

You have to pay for parking here? Last two time I went I just drove in and parked, didn't pay... This past weekend there was one lady in a booth when you drive in but she didn't seem to be paying attention or doing anything productive so I just drove by real slow and she didn't yell at me to pay or anything either. Both times though I did go at 3pm and I know they close up for the day at about 5pm.

Well, that doesn't surprise me, but then again by 3 pm anything resembling a deal is probably gone. It's like showing up at a horse track after the 8th race... parking and admission are free, but the 2 or 3 races that are left after that are all running with pigs. [laugh]

-Mike

"AAA Guns had the lowest prices."
Damn that is saying something and it's not good.

"AAA - They had the same "can;t be bothered" attitude there as they do in their store and their prices were looney."

Shows in Massachusetts are pretty lame - THIS IS TRUE.

smitty

Last edited:
"AAA Guns had the lowest prices."
Damn that is saying something and it's not good.

"AAA - They had the same "can;t be bothered" attitude there as they do in their store and their prices were looney."

Shows in Massachusetts are pretty lame - THIS IS TRUE.

smitty

Yeah, cause for the shows they usually raise the prices.

Back
Top Bottom