Big E Trade Show May 30-31

Question for you guys. Is this worth the 2 hour drive to go check out? Went to the Biddeford, ME show last month and it was O.K. But I kind of hoped for more. Thanks for any info from past experiences.

I am sure others will chime in but...you have to pay to park, you have to pay for the tolls, you have to pay to get in. For me, it's a $25 investment to just get in the door. That being said, it is one of the biggest if not the biggest gun shows in this state. Lots of older guns/parts and usually one or two AR dealers. Not the best place for ammo as it is all sold out of a tent by a couple of dealers next to the building. I go to this show on occasion if I am looking for something specific but most times I just wait for Marlboro or something closer. Four Seasons or Collectors usually carries everything I need for less money but being able to go to a gun show in MA warrants me going to support them. Plus it is fun checking everything out.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to go and find out for myself. Now the legal question I've been wondering about. I assume a lot of these guys are out of State FFL's. If they sell a pistol, that is not on "The List" and I buy it from an FFL dealer in my home State is this legal? I know I should put this in the Legal section, and probably will if I don;t get an answer. But I know this stupid "List" has some loopholes and was wondering if this is one of them? Or will I be sleeping with by back to the wall for 10 years?

The out-of-state dealers can't directly transfer a handgun to a Mass resident.
What they do is hook-up with a Mass dealer (for an extra charge of course) who does the actual transfer to you, along with the Mass paperwork.
It's up to the Mass dealer to say Yes or No on what's allowed to be sold to a Mass resident. If the Mass dealer is willing to sell you something not on "The List", that's his decision. If he's willing to sell it, it's perfectly legal for you to buy it.

I am sure others will chime in but...you have to pay to park, you have to pay for the tolls, you have to pay to get in. For me, it's a $25 investment to just get in the door. That being said, it is one of the biggest if not the biggest gun shows in this state. Lots of older guns/parts and usually one or two AR dealers. Not the best place for ammo as it is all sold out of a tent by a couple of dealers next to the building. I go to this show on occasion if I am looking for something specific but most times I just wait for Marlboro or something closer. Four Seasons or Collectors usually carries everything I need for less money but being able to go to a gun show in MA warrants me going to support them. Plus it is fun checking everything out.

I don't remember paying to park at springfield but I haven't been in at least 6 years. When did they start charging and how much is parking? Last time I went to springfield I was kinda dismayed because of all the non-firearm related tables. There was a jerky table set up that stunk so bad I got nauseaus. There is a gun auction in NH...I think it is in Franklin... that I was thinking of taking in. It is in a low rent district building so maybe some deals to be had.

Last time I went to springfield I was kinda dismayed because of all the non-firearm related tables. There was a jerky table set up that stunk so bad I got nauseaus.

Hey, don't go hatin' on the Jerky Guy, he's a highly revered and respected icon of the New England Gun Show circuit. His delectable products are one of the main reasons many of us go to the shows. [smile]

One of the guys who got me into this crazy ass expensive world only goes to shows to buy spare parts, ammo, and load up on Jerky. And unless there's a deal he spends more on jerky. Go figure paying more for roadkill than ammo?

O.K. its good I admit it.

Hey, don't go hatin' on the Jerky Guy, he's a highly revered and respected icon of the New England Gun Show circuit. His delectable products are one of the main reasons many of us go to the shows. [smile]

+1 That's the only socially redeeming value of the Big E shows. I don't bother to attend any of them out there any more. Too expensive and too much of a waste of time.

Cost to park is now $5.00 (unless they raised it this year)
Cost of admission is now $10.00 IIRC ($1 discount coupon is available)

More and more vendors have given up on that show . . . they have to pay $5/day/car too, so the show is a skeleton of what it once was 10-15 years ago. One or two ammo dealers makes for "no deals" on ammo.

A couple sticks of jerky is my lunch at the gun shows! YMMV

We always look at it as cheap entertainment. Sometimes there are deals to be had and other times not. Just know your prices before hand.
Len always knocks this one, but having been to the Marlboro show, at least you can walk around this one and get close enough to the tables to actually see something.
There usually is a fair amount of vendors. It's in our back yard so we do look at it as cheap entertainment and usually we go early so we are done by the time it starts getting busy.

Need to make a shopping list but I'll probably go. Anyone feel like carpooling? Park in a public lot nearby and load up in my SUV to save the parking fee?

Dont expect much..... The number of vendors has decreased over the years.

It will not have as many vendors this go around...according to the promoter who has called the guy I work for part time...they are begging vendors to come but still raised the cost of the tables...go figure

At one time it was the biggest show in the state...sadly now its not....that said, its still worth the trip if you have nothing palnned. Me, I would rather spend time at the range.

I've never been disappointed driving out there. Plenty of room, lot of tables. I'm not sure why everyone knocks it.
Also, unless you're handicapped or the laziest SOB in town, you can park out on the street and walk around. Using that as an excuse is ridiculous.

Dont expect much..... The number of vendors has decreased over the years.
At one time it was the biggest show in the state...sadly now its not

OK, if that's true, which one is now the biggest in Mass.?

I know the vendor count was down last time because there was another show in Pennsylvania on the same weekend. More dealers opted to go there instead because they can sell anything from their inventory in PA and not worry about what's Mass compliant and what's not.

OK, if that's true, which one is now the biggest in Mass.?
I hate these back and forth threads but I will try to be clearer. At one time the entire building was filled with dealers of all types. It could take you an entire day to check every table. Now it is barley half the size so it is no longer the biggest. IMO...important statement there IMO.[wink]

I hate these back and forth threads but I will try to be clearer. At one time the entire building was filled with dealers of all types. It could take you an entire day to check every table. Now it is barley half the size so it is no longer the biggest. IMO...important statement there IMO.[wink]

I fully concur with this statement.

I know that some like REALLY WIDE aisles, but to me that is a sign of "we didn't sell many tables, so we spread them out so that it isn't obvious"!

It's a long drive for me (~3 hrs RT), so to be worthwhile there have to be LOTS of tables to look at. I'm not intimidated by crowds (yes, I sometimes pass on a table that is mobbed but may come back later), I look at that as a sign of a healthy gun show (YMMV). I am really perplexed about the Big E rule of "no ammo sold in the buildings" . . . leads to non-competition and only 1-2 ammo vendors in the tent. At other venues a gun dealer puts out some ammo/primers/powder on his table beside the guns . . . and this usually leads to lower prices from all dealers with ammo for sale as they compete for business. [I got some real good deals on ammo at the last Marlboro show from a dealer with lots of miscellaneous stuff on his tables.]

Last Big E show I went to i COUNTED ~300 tables . . . it was advertised as 600 tables. The hall was only 1/2 filled and the aisles were wide enough to drive a tank thru them. This was a few years ago. [Foxboro was a "small show" with 325 tables but that is all that fits in the venue (and it was always sold out). New owners being anti-gun, that location is gone but Wilmington and Marlboro are typically bigger than the Big E in numbers of actual tables and a lot closer to where I am.]

I find the $5 parking fee to be greedy and excessive. Not being from the area I don't know the "secret streets" you can park on legally and avoid this fee.

For those interested there is a good all you can eat chinese buffet just up the road from there in the Century Plaza. Century Buffet.

I know for certain that Pete's Gun Shop of Adams, MA is going to be there because the owner told me so. When I was at Wilmington, Pete's Gun Shop seemed to have the largest selection on hand guns there and his prices were the most reasonable. Plus, the people working behind the tables were really nice folks. Super helpful too.

I'm not trying to engage you in a pissing contest, I genuinly want to know which is currently the largest Mass gun show in terms of vendor count and number of tables. I went to Springfield in December and the last Wilmington show, but I skipped Marlboro because of early reports of "packed in like sardines" and "had to park a mile away". I also went to the last Concord NH show and you could hardly breathe in there because it was so crammed.
I personally find the shows much more enjoyable if I have some roaming-around room.

How many hoops would a CT resident have to jump through to buy a long gun at a MA show? Is it even worth going for?

How many hoops would a CT resident have to jump through to buy a long gun at a MA show? Is it even worth going for?

No NR can legally buy any guns, ammo or hi-cap mags in MA even if they possess a MA NR LTC. That's the result of the Simons Rock Law that's been on the books for many years.

That said, I've bought mags and ammo at many gun shows. I think I've been asked for my LTC only once in all that time.

I'm not trying to engage you in a pissing contest, I genuinly want to know which is currently the largest Mass gun show in terms of vendor count and number of tables. I went to Springfield in December and the last Wilmington show, but I skipped Marlboro because of early reports of "packed in like sardines" and "had to park a mile away". I also went to the last Concord NH show and you could hardly breathe in there because it was so crammed.
I personally find the shows much more enjoyable if I have some roaming-around room.

Big E and Marlboro might have the same amount of vendors, but Marlboro you are packed like sardines and good luck trying to see what is at each table.
Which is why we didn't like it and won't go back to it.
Len bashes this one for whatever reason,it's not a bad show, and you can actually move around and see what is there.
As long as you look at it as entertainment it's all good.[grin]

Sue, see Post # 18 for my reasons.

If Big E was in my back yard, I'd go for sure, especially if I knew the safe secret parking areas where you won't be hassled. But considering it is a very long drive, it needs to be compelling and it no longer is that for me.

Sue, see Post # 18 for my reasons.

If Big E was in my back yard, I'd go for sure, especially if I knew the safe secret parking areas where you won't be hassled. But considering it is a very long drive, it needs to be compelling and it no longer is that for me.

That's fine, but bashing it so others that might not want to make the trip and see for themselves is another. Just because you or I don't agree on it shouldn't make it so others can make their own opinion on them.
I don't go about bashing the Marlboro show like you do to this one. That one is in your back yard, not mine.
Instead we should be supporting what shows we do have in this state. Letting those that want to go to either show decide which ones they like and don't.
Same with shoots, etc.
Just my .02's worth.

Sue, I'm just giving an opinion just like you are. We can agree to disagree.

I've talked with vendors who have kissed off that show due to the hassles there (some allegedly caused by the promoter, others caused by the venue rules). I've talked with Carole (promoter) about that particular show and she admitted to me that it has dropped significantly over the past years. I think that the greed of the Big E (parking fees) and the stupidity of their "no ammo in buildings" rule (preventing dealers from selling ammo with the guns/accessories) has hurt this venue in a major way.

The show has shrunk at that location, that is an indisputable fact and I dislike the promoter's "false advertising" (used to be 900 advertised, maybe 500 for real . . . now advertised as 500 while the last one I attended was ~300). At least when she advertises 500 at Marlboro there really is about 400+ there. The small show size is why you get your mile-wide aisles that you like so much. [wink]

For the record, Marlboro isn't "in my back yard" as it is ~50 miles away. Wilmington is probably a bit closer but I haven't made it to a gun show there since 1998.

As for Marlboro, I only see mobs at a few tables and I just "bypass" and come back later. I find it easy to maneuver around the people and still get a glimpse of whatever interests me. And since I'm usually there all day due to volunteering for GOAL, I get to see it when it is busy as well as when it is quiet.

No show in MA holds a candle to almost any show in Free America.

Every person reading this and other threads on the shows can absorb the info provided and make his/her own mind up as to whether or not it is worth the trip. Every one of us brings our own personal prejudices to our answers to this and other questions, that's just a fact of life and readers have to parse out the meat from the prejudice. [wink]

This show isn't bad, it is the "Militaria Gun Show" http://users.erols.com/fasttrack/loc/w-spr/SPRINGFIELD-MILITARY-FLYER-May-30-31.pdf .

I have found this one OK, they have alot more stuff like clothing and military stuff at this show along with the gun stuff.

The regular Gun Show http://users.erols.com/fasttrack/loc/w-spr/W-SPRINGFIELD.htm is much better for gun related items.

Now that said will I go, HE!! YA. It's still a gun show and better than sitting on my a$$ on a Saturday watching the TV.

So SEE YA THERE !!!

[smile]

PS: Click on the 2nd link and print out a $1 of coupon

[smile]

Last edited:

There are CT FFLs there too (there's a guy directly across from the dunkin donuts booth that is a CT FFL-I've bought 3 guns from him in the past) If you find a gun at someone's booth (long or hand) that is at a Mass dealers table, they can transfer it to a CT dealer, it cost you about $25 extra.

That guy across from the DD has always sent me to Pete's table for the transfer

Back
Top Bottom