Big Ol' Rant about shooting accessability

Yeah, friendly helpful advice and suggestions. Dont think I asked for anyone to be a dbag about it? Why is that necessary or productive?
Dude, no one was being a dbag about it. Disagreeing with you and explaining my reasoning is not being a dbag. Three different moderators have been in the thread disagreeing with you.

You asked for opinions. You got opinions, most of which disagreed with you. You don't have a right to expect that everyone agrees with you.

Now stop whining.

We're actually lucky in Mass in that there are so many clubs. I bought a machine gun from a guy in Florida who sold it because he had to drive 90 minutes to go to a place where he could shoot it.

There are 11 clubs - Shirley, Littleton, Westford, South Fitchburg, Townsend, Harvard, Ayer, North Leominster, Lunenburg, Leominster, and Tyngboro - within a 20 minute drive of my house, and I belong to 2 of them including the most expensive one (Harvard at $150 per year). Most are $100 per year or less.

If you can't find a way to spend a couple of hours at a meeting to join a club, then being able to shoot can't be very important to you.

Your rant is incredibly lame and misplaced.

I'm in NH...I'm a member of 2 clubs and have 4+ back 40 areas to shoot including my property....I don't even need to belong to the clubs but I sometimes like to punch paper at 100.

I was there 3 years ago and it was still unsafe then. Unless they've made some changes there, like having a range safety officer on the firing line at all times, I wouldn't recommend that place to anyone.

My experience there convinced me to join a club.

What's wrong with Bobs? - I have been there a few times.

You dont need an RSO to be safe. Most clubs don't have a RSO. Example: Pembroke. I was there at 10:30 am during a week day, there was one other guy there. He could have shot me and it would have taken a while for anyone to find me.

Why do people insist on creating more rules and crap?

Buy a few acres of land in NH and go shoot there alone.

As far as the OP, please let me know when you open a free range and you cover all the expenses. I will be the first member.

Last edited:
you have to consider that Mass is the third most densely populated state. NJ is first, RI second, CT fourth. Land is hard to come by. I think we're very fortunate we have private, non-profit clubs because if the Commonwealth of Mass ran ranges I can't imagine they would be very good.

you have to consider that Mass is the third most densely populated state. NJ is first, RI second, CT fourth. Land is hard to come by. I think we're very fortunate we have private, non-profit clubs because if the Commonwealth of Mass ran ranges I can't imagine they would be very good.

It is sad that NJ has at least one or two 600 yard ranges that actually hold competitions and there is nothing in MA, and the closest 1000 yard range is, I believe, in Albany. [angry]

In all of New England, CMP, BPCR competition...pretty much [email protected] then you have this one place in one of the worse states that is great, and I would drive there if I didn't risk spending the rest of my life in jail for bringing a legally owned rifle to thst sh@t hole [thinking] [/rant] sorry.

Last edited:
It is sad that NJ has at least one or two 600 yard ranges that actually hold competitions and there is nothing in MA, and the closest 1000 yard range is, I believe, in Albany. [angry] In all of New England, CMP, BPCR competition...pretty much [email protected] then you have this one place in one of the worse states that is great, and I would drive there if I didn't risk spending the rest of my life in jail for bringing a legally owned rifle to thst sh@t hole [thinking] [/rant] sorry.

Reading has a 600 yard range and they have regular service rifle matches.

It is sad that NJ has at least one or two 600 yard ranges that actually hold competitions and there is nothing in MA.

We hold full distance 600 yard CMP and NRA matches at Reading almost every weekend during the season. If you don't like Reading you can go up to Nashua, or Pelham, or Scarborough, or Hamden, or Bolton. Just got back from shooting a 600 yard NRA match at Scarborough in fact. You can shoot a full distance CMP or NRA match somewhere in New England pretty much every Sat and Sun from May to September.

It would be nice to see some closer 1000 yard ranges. We almost had one at Pemi but it got shot down by the dickhead that owns the Common Man restaurants.

Reading has a 600 yard range and they have regular service rifle matches.

Thanks. Not just SR though, Match Rifle shooters, f class, f-tr, etc. are all welcome as well. As long as you're safe and can at least keep them on the paper we want you.

Last edited:
Dude, no one was being a dbag about it. Disagreeing with you and explaining my reasoning is not being a dbag. Three different moderators have been in the thread disagreeing with you.

You asked for opinions. You got opinions, most of which disagreed with you. You don't have a right to expect that everyone agrees with you.

Now stop whining.

AGAIN I am not complaining about people disagreeing with me I just said people don't have to be dicks about it. A few people were. Im not whinining im making a point and some people are just *******s about it if they disagree. I dont see any need for that so I said so.

Wow....I think this is one of the first threads I have seen where all the active Mods posted.

AGAIN I am not complaining about people disagreeing with me I just said people don't have to be dicks about it. A few people were. Im not whinining im making a point and some people are just *******s about it if they disagree. I dont see any need for that so I said so.

I don't see anyone being a dick about it.

Having moved to New England from points west, yes many New Englanders are dicks and don't realize it. Just don't take it personally. You have to be thick-skinned here.

Having moved to New England from points west, yes many New Englanders are dicks and don't realize it. Just don't take it personally. You have to be thick-skinned here.

This. Also, there's always a certain degree of ball busting on the forum. It works both ways, so feel free to dish some out.

Seriously, $80 per year is $6.67 per month- really cheap! Even $150 dues are not terrible. There are many options, some formal, some less so. The smaller, less formal clubs will be cheaper and often you could be the only shooter. I don't smoke, drink little, and buy used cars that I maintain- so yeah, I have disposable income for dues and a couple new guns.

Good luck finding somewhere to shoot.

The clubs that tend to be the most expensive are usually the ones that offer the most shooting activities but there are plenty of clubs that offer quite a bit at reasonable prices.

The clubs that tend to be the most expensive are usually the ones that offer the most shooting activities but there are plenty of clubs that offer quite a bit at reasonable prices.

The prices go way down outside the 128 belt, too. There are exceptions (like HSC) but with those exceptions you usually get your moneys worth.

-Mike

What's wrong with Bobs? - I have been there a few times.

You dont need an RSO to be safe. Most clubs don't have a RSO.

Those are clubs. Rental ranges are full of people who've never shot a gun before. My second time at Bob's was OK, but my first time had the following highlights:

-Counter guy was busy looking at girlie photos on his laptop with his friends
-Never signed me in, which another employee later said was mandatory
-The two guns I rented didn't work
-Motorized target holders were broken and replaced with homemade hand cranks
-Two guys came in with a couple girls halfway through. They rented a .22 pistol and spent the whole time shooting at a man-sized target 10 feet away, but were hitting the floor and ceiling instead. All while laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. I just packed up and left at that point.

Those are clubs. Rental ranges are full of people who've never shot a gun before. My second time at Bob's was OK, but my first time had the following highlights:

-Counter guy was busy looking at girlie photos on his laptop with his friends
-Never signed me in, which another employee later said was mandatory
-The two guns I rented didn't work
-Motorized target holders were broken and replaced with homemade hand cranks
-Two guys came in with a couple girls halfway through. They rented a .22 pistol and spent the whole time shooting at a man-sized target 10 feet away, but were hitting the floor and ceiling instead. All while laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. I just packed up and left at that point.

Sounds about right.

I'll never forget the time I did a transfer at Bob's and this female employee was showing other employees/customers her new 1911 with CT laser grips. She drew it from her holster and muzzle swept everyone in the room and to show them the laser dot on the wall. The 1911 was cocked and locked and I'm assuming LOADED.[rolleyes]

So has Bob's changed in the last couple years or are you still taking your life into your hands going in there?
Dont shoot at bobs. The staff is not safety minded at all. Been muzzle swept there too often and wont go back.

Joining a club is NOT espensive. I belong to two. One is 75 a year the other is 175 a year. 24 hour indoor range up to 44 mag. Trap. Outdoor range out to 100 yards. I shoot alot! The price of membership is not a concern it pays dividends.

Op you need to get out and shop around at clubs. If you want all this freedom to shoot wherever and whenever you want and bring any guests you wamt pony up and buy your own land. Whatever.

Shooting sports require some efffort on your own part to join a club. Dont whine. Just find a club amd get involved.

OP, if I may, I would like to ask you a few questions to better understand your position. Is it your thought that officers and members of a club should be more available to interview and or vote on your membership more frequently than the usual once per month? Do you believe that the average prices for membership that have been quoted in this thread are higher than you'd like? How often do you believe that your friends / guests should be allowed to shoot with you at a club for free? Some of the responses here have indicated that work parties are a club's way of getting things done at no additional cost to the clubs annual overhead. Since cost has to be dealt with one way or the other, is it your opinion that dues should be raised to cover theses costs? It's my opinion that your answers to these questions will help us understand what it is that really bothering you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom