Bodyguard 380 misfiring

I've put a couple hundred rounds through mine. It hates cheap stuff, like PPU, Tulane, etc... a full mag would generally take 15+ trigger pulls to get through. Hornday JHP's (carry ammo) have been absolutely flawless, though.

The only problem is finding enough Hornady Critical Defense ammo. The shops near me rarely have more than 1-2 boxes at a time sometime nothing for weeks. They are generally more expensive too to be shooting at the range. That's why I chose Remington UMC but after having 3 light strikes out of 12 rounds....i'm stumped.

I'm hoping Ron Swanson will reply with his fix. S&W just keep telling me to send it in.

My fix was to send it out s&w 3 times lol. I dont know what they ended up doing to fix it. They dont tell you what the problem was you get a piece of paper in the box with your address on it nothing else. Mine was having trouble with all brands of ammo I tried. sometimes it took 3 pulls to go off. Sometimes it would run a full mag with no problems. Now it will even shoot cheap euro ammo with no issues. Except for one brand of steel cased Russian ammo I dont know the name of but it comes in 35rd boxes and is copper washed.

Ron or anyone else with a Light striking BG380.

I am interested in picking up a BG380 as well.

Was wondering when you bought it? Trying to figure out if this light strike thing is more of an issue with the early batches of BG's or if the newer made ones have the same issues as well.

Thanks,

Derek

I got mine right before Christmas as a Gift for myself from North Shore , Didn't shoot it until last month. (My wife wanted me to wait until she could too!)

I know I am going to get some shit for this, but I will not buy any S&W that was made after the 1980s.

I know I am going to get some shit for this, but I will not buy any S&W that was made after the 1980s.

After this experience with my BG380, I am with you. The only S&W products I will buying in future will be used wheel guns.

Heck no guys.... just means more for us guys that know a good gun when we shoot one. I've bought and shot lots of guns in the last several years, both new and old, found more problems with old guns than new. In fact new guns have been pretty flawless for the most part. S&W has been by far the best.

Ron, you had a problem with a brandy new production un... S&W made it right, yet you talk as though they screwed you and sold you a POS. The BG is a great gun for IT'S INTENDED PURPOSE. Sure it had growing pains out of the box, but they stood behind it and today, it is a better gun than it was in the beginning.

The gun had been out for at least 6 months when I bought it. The thing that pissed me off was they they shipped it back to me twice with no noticeable change in function. Like they didnt even bother to test it. Sure they eventually fixed it but it took 3 trips to get it right. That means 6 trips to my Fedex office, 4 wasted frustrating trips to the range and many wasted boxes of ammo.

The gun had been out for at least 6 months when I bought it. The thing that pissed me off was they they shipped it back to me twice with no noticeable change in function. Like they didnt even bother to test it. Sure they eventually fixed it but it took 3 trips to get it right. That means 6 trips to my Fedex office, 4 wasted frustrating trips to the range and many wasted boxes of ammo.

Come on, no need to exaggerate the ammo deal, we shoot our guns to get better, sounds to me like you're doing everything you can to turn it into the end of the world situation. Not to mention, do you really think they sent it back not functioning right purposely to piss you off..

Heck no guys.... just means more for us guys that know a good gun when we shoot one. I've bought and shot lots of guns in the last several years, both new and old, found more problems with old guns than new. In fact new guns have been pretty flawless for the most part. S&W has been by far the best.

Ron, you had a problem with a brandy new production un... S&W made it right, yet you talk as though they screwed you and sold you a POS. The BG is a great gun for IT'S INTENDED PURPOSE. Sure it had growing pains out of the box, but they stood behind it and today, it is a better gun than it was in the beginning.

Growing pains as you call it, when it comes to firearms can get you killed.S&W is more into quantity not quality.

again.. that's why we train. If there is a problem we fix it and move on. Your choice, buy a Taurus, I'm sure you'll be happier.

How do you fix a piece of shit when someone is shooting at you? Can you tell me where I can get that training ?

I would agree, but it really depends on how much free time you have. I've never called S&W and waited less than 15-20 minutes for an actual person........

The few times I've called has been no more than a few minutes.... usually after 6pm, but I did call around 9:30am a few weeks ago and got a CS rep within minutes.. had me a little part in my hands 3 days later.

And NO, I don't work for them, but I have purchased alot of their guns in recent years. I live and work within 10 minutes of S&W, visit the retail store and shooting range at a minimum of 1-2 times or more a week. They are a good company, they stand behind and service their product better than any company I have ever dealt with. They aren't perfect... but they are one of the few remaining American companys and YES, I will support and defend them... [grin] But on the flip side, if they screw up I would let them know for sure. If they do the right thing, I'm satisfied. If you were wronged, I would back you up and do what I could to help, but I just don't see it..

If you want to cry from the highest mountian about how you were screwed, it's your call..

I think a few people are getting a little out of hand and getting away from the actual THREAD.

It looks like I will have to deal with S&W and have them fix whatever needs to be fixed. As many of you mentioned I want to make sure with every trigger pull there is a fired round.....period, end of story.

I am reading there are issues with other "good" concealable pistols like the Ruger LC9. So it seems like in general, there are growing pains. I really do hope S&W fixes my misfiring issue.

Ron, can you give me an update on the estimated rounds you have fired since you last received your fixed Bodyguard 380?? Please keep me posted and I will post as soon as I get my pistol back.

S&W keeps telling me try another brand. But that's the lame excuse of solving the problem. I don't use reloads nor cheap ammo. Only Remington UMC and if I ever can find Hornady Critical Defense. Extremely frustrating......

Please keep posting what you think might be the problem and the solution to it. Much appreciated!!

I think a few people are getting a little out of hand and getting away from the actual THREAD.

It looks like I will have to deal with S&W and have them fix whatever needs to be fixed. As many of you mentioned I want to make sure with every trigger pull there is a fired round.....period, end of story.

I am reading there are issues with other "good" concealable pistols like the Ruger LC9. So it seems like in general, there are growing pains. I really do hope S&W fixes my misfiring issue.

Ron, can you give me an update on the estimated rounds you have fired since you last received your fixed Bodyguard 380?? Please keep me posted and I will post as soon as I get my pistol back.

S&W keeps telling me try another brand. But that's the lame excuse of solving the problem. I don't use reloads nor cheap ammo. Only Remington UMC and if I ever can find Hornady Critical Defense. Extremely frustrating......

Please keep posting what you think might be the problem and the solution to it. Much appreciated!!

It has gotten out of hand because you can't see the trees through the forest and you allowed and nourished S&W haters... period.

This is really a pretty ridiculous thread when you ask for help and are given the best advice but had refused to take it. Send it in to S&W and they will fix it!!@!!!!! Now you say with much reluctance, like S&W is the enemy or gonna somehow screw you. And again keep referring to Ron like he has something of value that will fix your gun. If you heard his last statement as to what fixed his gun.... it was .... drum roll..... SENT IT TO S&W @!!!

I would agree with sending it back if you've put enough rounds through it to identify an issue. I put 50 rounds of UMC through mine Saturday and 16 rounds of Hydroshok. I had 1 failure to fire with UMC, but it did fire on the second pull. Hydro's worked fine. I haven't put enough ammo through mine to judge, but I'd switch ammo first if I were you and keep shooting it. Document misfires and them ship it if it's not ammo related. My two cents

The bodyguard 380 is simply not a gun I would trust my life with. Most unreliable S&W has produced in a while. Sell it.

Back
Top Bottom