• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bodyguard 380 misfiring

I purchased 2 BG 380's 1 year apart. Both had problems. First the laser stopped working and laser screw would loosen and jam slide. Second, a slide pin and a frame pin would come out while shooting. A real piece of crap.

I purchased 2 BG 380's 1 year apart. Both had problems. First the laser stopped working and laser screw would loosen and jam slide. Second, a slide pin and a frame pin would come out while shooting. A real piece of crap.

Wow... I'm shocked.. you owned 2 of them.. what did you do with them... sell them or melt them down for candle wax.. [wink]

What I would like to know, does S&W pay for shipping when you send the firearm in for repairs ?

What I would like to know, does S&W pay for shipping when you send the firearm in for repairs ?

The procedure I would follow would be to contact CS by phone, respectfully and in a friendly manner let them know what your problem is and I would bet a dozen donuts they will offer the shipping label. Have them email it to you and you are done. I believe it will be picked up and delivered to you or your FFL by Fed Ex if you call FE. I also believe that you do not have to take any trip to FE to drop or pick up your gun and if you shoot a bunch of rounds getting accustomed to your gun, than that doesn't mean.... aw never mind.. I just know chances are S&W will take of you. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

It has gotten out of hand because you can't see the trees through the forest and you allowed and nourished S&W haters... period.

I'm bored at work, so I thought I would post here to add fuel to the fire [smile].

First off, I am far from an S&W hater. My handgun collection consists of all S&W products, save for a lone Beretta 92FS.

Even though I am an unabashed fan of S&W, there comes a time when you have to call a turd a turd, and the Bodyguard .380 is a turd.

To answer your question before you ask - no I do not own one, nor will I ever. Reason being is conversations exactly like this. There have been so many episodes of these things not working. From the minor - like lasers not working - to the more serious, like light strikes, parts coming loose and jamming it up(!), hammers breaking(!!), and this is from a relatively small example just from this thread. I have heard of similar experiences from other forums.

Yes, I know on forums like this you hear more about the problem ones than the ones that actually do work, and I know there are many out there that have had absolutely no problems with theirs whatsoever. I also have first-hand knowledge of how many of these things get returned to the factory for this or that problem, and it is very discomforting.

"Send it back - they will fix it". That's fine, and they will fix it. But the necessity to have to send it back in the first place is what bothers me. The fact that so many people have had to have theirs go back once, twice even three times before it works right is troubling. Firearms are really fairly simple machines, and with all the research and development S&W puts into their products, there is no reason that these should not be working first time all the time, right out of the box. A few being sent back I can understand. The number of these things that do not work is just unacceptable.

It could have been a nice pistol. I like how small and light it is. But you have to take the blinders off and face the facts - S&W got it wrong. They just don't work.

The S&W Bodyguard .380 is, as Jeff Cooper would say "A brilliant concept, egregiously consummated."

Nice, we all have OPINIONS and I'm sure in our world it is fact. In others worlds we need FACTS to form opinions. With that, I still believe the BG is a good weapon for what it was designed for, was it ready for the big time, probably not. No doubt there were teething pains, more than there should be, but I believe that is due to the pressures that are put upon S&W in this day and age. Ok, they will make it right is better than some companys but I am of the belief, the best warrantee is the one I never use. Unfortunately, these guns have had problems, but I just don't see it like you paint it. You have several vaque statements that in my book require facts. My bg has been flawless, the laser isn't the easiest to turn on, but it works, everything else is just fine. I've read the complaints, it sucks, but I'm smart enough to know that just a tiny percentage of owners are online. I watched stack after stack of bg's leave S&W.... do you have any idea how many of these guns have been sold, I'm sure your source can tell you that number as well as how many have been returned for repairs... as bad as they are... you still cannot find one on a shelf.

Nice, we all have OPINIONS and I'm sure in our world it is fact. In others worlds we need FACTS to form opinions. With that, I still believe the BG is a good weapon for what it was designed for, was it ready for the big time, probably not. No doubt there were teething pains, more than there should be, but I believe that is due to the pressures that are put upon S&W in this day and age. Ok, they will make it right is better than some companys but I am of the belief, the best warrantee is the one I never use. Unfortunately, these guns have had problems, but I just don't see it like you paint it. You have several vaque statements that in my book require facts. My bg has been flawless, the laser isn't the easiest to turn on, but it works, everything else is just fine. I've read the complaints, it sucks, but I'm smart enough to know that just a tiny percentage of owners are online. I watched stack after stack of bg's leave S&W.... do you have any idea how many of these guns have been sold, I'm sure your source can tell you that number as well as how many have been returned for repairs... as bad as they are... you still cannot find one on a shelf.

I can't really argue with you - my prior post on the Bodyguard is just one persons opinion. But the facts are in this and other posts - a number of people have had problems with the Bodyguard.

I do not know how many S&W sells (a metric boatload would be my best guess). I know a few people who work there, but none who would be privy to the numbers that have gone out vs. the number that have been returned. I, too have seen the stacks that go out. I have also seen the piles of returns waiting to be worked on.

And you are right - dealers cannot keep them on the shelves. But I strongly suspect that many purchasers are not very dedicated shooters. A guy I work with bought one as his first handgun. Even after me suggesting more practical pistols as a first purchase, he still bought it, for the same reason a lot do I'm sure - because it's small, inexpensive...and has a laser (oh look - it shines! Give me the shiny thing!). He put a box of 50 rounds through it, and now it sits in a drawer - for over a year now.

Again, I don't deny that there are many, like yours, that have worked perfectly. But in my opinion I am very uncomfortable with the problems they have, so I for one will not be standing in line at the gun dealer waiting for the next shipment to come in.

You do see my point though. The Bodyguard did - and still does - have teething problems and is not ready for prime time. S&W's first semi-auto pistol, the Model 39, had some serious teething problems as well. But S&W worked them out over the years, and the 39 eventually evolved into what I believe are their best pistols ever made, the 3rd Gen. series.

I truly hope they can work out the problems with the Bodyguard. How many years and frustrated customers it will take is anybodies guess.

Good post, for the record.... I have 2 of the Model 39-2's.... they are a niiiiiiice gun. And I also agree, people buying there first gun.... I would suggest something else... Every gun has a purpose, the BG's purchase, I believe, is to be just a pocket gun when a bigger one won't fit and I'm not too worried about having to use it. I don't carry mine often, only for the right occassion. Most of the time, I have one of my compact 1911's or my M&P40c... but then, ya never know what I may have in the back pocket. [grin]
Beautiful day today.... hey, actually, I just ran up to the S&W retail store and picked up my M317 3" kit gun.. nice little compact airlite 8 shot 22lr... that was in between my last 2 post here.. I'll bet that one shoots niiiice. [grin]

Have a good day.

Last edited:
I'm bored at work, so I thought I would post here to add fuel to the fire [smile].

First off, I am far from an S&W hater. My handgun collection consists of all S&W products, save for a lone Beretta 92FS.

Even though I am an unabashed fan of S&W, there comes a time when you have to call a turd a turd, and the Bodyguard .380 is a turd.

To answer your question before you ask - no I do not own one, nor will I ever. Reason being is conversations exactly like this. There have been so many episodes of these things not working. From the minor - like lasers not working - to the more serious, like light strikes, parts coming loose and jamming it up(!), hammers breaking(!!), and this is from a relatively small example just from this thread. I have heard of similar experiences from other forums.

Yes, I know on forums like this you hear more about the problem ones than the ones that actually do work, and I know there are many out there that have had absolutely no problems with theirs whatsoever. I also have first-hand knowledge of how many of these things get returned to the factory for this or that problem, and it is very discomforting.

"Send it back - they will fix it". That's fine, and they will fix it. But the necessity to have to send it back in the first place is what bothers me. The fact that so many people have had to have theirs go back once, twice even three times before it works right is troubling. Firearms are really fairly simple machines, and with all the research and development S&W puts into their products, there is no reason that these should not be working first time all the time, right out of the box. A few being sent back I can understand. The number of these things that do not work is just unacceptable.

It could have been a nice pistol. I like how small and light it is. But you have to take the blinders off and face the facts - S&W got it wrong. They just don't work.

The S&W Bodyguard .380 is, as Jeff Cooper would say "A brilliant concept, egregiously consummated."

jdesro, you make very good points. I've talked to several BG380 owners and for most it's their first pistol and rarely go the range. So I can't count on their opinion. I know the really S&W-defensive folks are screaming "send it back to S&W". Great and all but before I even think of sending it back to S&W, I want to know what's the root cause. Where I live there is only Remington UMC available. Rarely is there any Winchester and especially Hornady CD. And I know Remington UMC isn't a crap brand. Too bad the BG380 isn't like my Glock. Fires every time but far too large for carrying.

Post less opinions and more actual solutions. Something other than "sending it back to S&W".

jdesro, you make very good points. I've talked to several BG380 owners and for most it's their first pistol and rarely go the range. So I can't count on their opinion. I know the really S&W-defensive folks are screaming "send it back to S&W". Great and all but before I even think of sending it back to S&W, I want to know what's the root cause. Where I live there is only Remington UMC available. Rarely is there any Winchester and especially Hornady CD. And I know Remington UMC isn't a crap brand. Too bad the BG380 isn't like my Glock. Fires every time but far too large for carrying.

Post less opinions and more actual solutions. Something other than "sending it back to S&W".

Here's some more reality, I own one, and shoot it occassionally, just for a little muscle memory in case I need to defend myself at close range. Last night I shot another 50 rounds of Independence ammo, 50 rds of flawless operation. maybe thats the fix, INDEPENDENCE ammo. Several guys I spoke with at the range also own and shoot them, so for the record, they have no problems other than we all agreed the laser is pretty useless. Now I know you aren't interested in positive responses here anymore than you were not interested in positive responses on the other board you posted the same thread. I just think it is important for readers to know, there are thousands of owners with no problems and a few with. Those that choose to take the advise of sending in their guns to S&W are usually satisfied with the end result. A few will never be satisfied no matter what. I suspect you fall into the latter category, maybe you should just get rid of it, lick your wounds, use it as a training aid on the Glock board of how S&W produces a POC and get some bigger pockets to fit that Glock pistol in... [grin]

I am a new LTC Class A licensee in MA and just acquired a 380 this past week. I got it used since Four Seasons was out of the new ones. I have ran about 350 rounds through it. It is a difficult gun to master. The only issue I had while firing it was a couple of rounds not cycling the slide completely. Other than that, it fired every time. Mine has the obvious problem, the laser. I just got a message from S&W and asked me to send them the laser for replacement and I will do so tomorrow. Overall, I have no complaints with this gun, it is the first used pistol I purchased. I also have a new ISSC M22 which after 500+ rounds and no cleaning has performed flawlessly contrary to what you read about in forums like this one. As someone before me said, you will hear more negatives in the forums than positives. I will be cleaning it before my next trip to the range, hopefully with a new laser so I can align it properly.
Overall, I am happy with the gun, very portable and challenging.
Just my $0.02

I have a BodyGuard. I've had one FTF. It was Remington UMC. My defense ammo, Federal Hydroshoks worked fine. I don't know where you live, but there's got to be a Walmart near you or another gun store. Drive to Cabela's and stock up. Look, its an inexpensive, 11 ounce 380 that fits in a pocket nicely without bouncing around or looking like a brick. I have another 500 rounds of UMC and I just bought 3 boxes of Critical Defense. I'll post again after I shoot some of that, but so far, I like the gun, and its great for its intended purpose, a summer-friendly pocket carry that was half the cost of the PM9 I'd love to own. That just wasn't in the cards at the time. As far as S&W goes, I have several, all semi-auto and I have two Walthers, a German made .32 and an Interarms .380. I've had good luck with S&W. I'd shoot the crap out of it, with several different brands, and send it back if you still see issues. Or you could remove the laser, and soak it in pickle juice. That might help.

I have a BodyGuard. I've had one FTF. It was Remington UMC. My defense ammo, Federal Hydroshoks worked fine.

In the end I only really care about the self defense ammo firing every time. I may have to trek up to four seasons to grab SD ammo b/c there is nothing where I live. Just standard .380 ammo. And only Remington UMC. The shops almost never have Winchester in stock. I got about 3 boxes of Remington UMC left so I'll run through some tests to try to nail down the issue.

I have 2 mags so I'll load both and only carry one mag consistently for a couple of weeks. Then I'll fire hit the range...when i have time. It might be inevitable and I may have to send to S&W.

I'm thinking if I've been carrying one mag for let's say 3 weeks. Maybe the primer somehow got "damp" due to being in my pocket. With the combination of body heat & sweat evaporating in hot weather maybe the primer got affected. I'll post what I come up with regardless. You can't deny the size is perfect for carrying. I just have to figure this problem out.

Any pistol experts out there know of any reasons why a semi-auto pistol fails to fire due to light strike? That may help me zero in on the root of the problem.

Any pistol experts out there know of any reasons why a semi-auto pistol fails to fire due to light strike? That may help me zero in on the root of the problem.

I'm hardly an expert, but one of the problems with small, hammer-fired pistols is one of mass and leverage.

The hammer's function is to impart force on the firing pin to fire the cartridge. The hammer on this pistol is very small and lightweight, and the hammer's pivot point is very close to its striking surface, so it doesn't exactly have a lot of mass or leverage to hit the firing pin with a lot of force.

One way to get reliable ignition is with a heavier mainspring, but that will also make the trigger pull noticeably heavier.

A lighter firing pin spring may help, but there is the possibility of broken or damaged firing pins with this, if the lighter spring does not retract the firing pin before the pistol unlocks.

S&W could possibly make the hammer larger or heavier, but that would probably affect reliability and they would have to re-engineer other parts of the pistol to make it work.

So realistically the best solution is a heavier mainspring. So you can either have reliable ignition, or a decent trigger pull. Pick only one[grin].

Very good points. I'd hate to mess with the mainspring & firing pin. The trigger pull doesn't really bother me. I would probably only be firing it at close range within 15ft. So I'm not all too worried if it's a bitter heavier on the pull. I still haven't been to the range since i started the post. Hopefully I can make time this weekend. I'll keep folks updated. Thanks for the insightful reply!!

So after a good ole cleaning and lubricating I was finally able to hit the range today. Put 100 rounds through. No misfires. But here's the variable...I haven't carried the loaded mags. I ran out last time at the range and just bought a few boxes today. So here's the report...

-100 Rounds through the BG380, no misfires
-No loaded magazines were carried at the length of time (2-3 weeks) of the previously loaded mag

But a new issue popped up. One of the magazines kept popping out when firing the BG380. Anyone know why this happened??

After loading my 2 mags it looked like it was one of the magazines that kept popping out. But looking at it and feeling with with my fingers, i couldn't pin point what was the root cause.

Also, my laser button now is impossible to activate with my right index finger. It was actually turning itself off when i fired a shot here and there. Extremely annoying! I may have to call S&W and ask if this is something they can fix. I may have to ship both mags too and see if they can replace them.

Has anyone had experiences with S&W and the laser button? Did they fix it? Or it's something they won't fix?

-BW

Well finally sent it back to S&W for all the issues. I hope they are all resolved. I'll update everyone once I get it back.

-BW

I had a small problem with my BG where one of the laser's screws came lose and was catching on the spring. Tightened back up with the little hex wrench and its good to go, except I lost my hex wrech so I had to wait for a replacement (which they sent free of charge). So don't lose your wrench and check your screws.

Still waiting for my BG380 to come back. The customer service rep said hopefully this week. I'll keep everyone posted!

I finally got it back. But won't have time to shoot it for a few days.

Is it a rule of thumb to field strip and clean pistols after being serviced by manufacturer?? I don't know if S&W fired a bunch of rounds to make sure my BG380 is running good. Or just ran one mag.

S&W fixed the laser issue. It's MUCH MUCH easier to turn on and off. Now the only thing left is will it go bang every time? I will follow back with another update.

Is it a rule of thumb to field strip and clean pistols after being serviced by manufacturer?? I don't know if S&W fired a bunch of rounds to make sure my BG380 is running good. Or just ran one mag.

Probably don't have to field strip it, but might not hurt to put a couple drops of oil on the slide rails and barrel hood.

Don't touch it other than to load it and shoot it. The gun just came from S&W after being repaired, I am quite certain it is not dripping with cosmolene.... it should be ready to go. If it doesn't function from the factory, something is wrong.

Update....

Shot the rest of my box, approximately 30 rounds. No failures of any type. Nice work S&W!

The laser button fix is very easy to activate/deactivate.

Update....

Shot the rest of my box, approximately 30 rounds. No failures of any type. Nice work S&W!

The laser button fix is very easy to activate/deactivate.

Nice to hear, hope you can enjoy it as much as a little gun can be enjoyed. I like mine still, usually seem to carry it sunday mornings when we are lightly dressed and going down the street for breakfast or just when I don't feel like carrying a bigger gun... [grin]

A bad box of UMC, most likely. There's no quality control for this stuff.

In my experience with UMC I've had one cartridge without a primer, one bullet indented FAR into the brass that could have caused high pressures, another had malformed brass witch snagged and caused a malfunction, and a large number of failure to fires with a primer strike.

IMO, UMC is completely unnacceptable. My cousin has put a few hundred quality rounds through his bodyguard without any issue.

A bad box of UMC, most likely. There's no quality control for this stuff.

In my experience with UMC I've had one cartridge without a primer, one bullet indented FAR into the brass that could have caused high pressures, another had malformed brass witch snagged and caused a malfunction, and a large number of failure to fires with a primer strike.

IMO, UMC is completely unnacceptable. My cousin has put a few hundred quality rounds through his bodyguard without any issue.

That sucks b/c UMC is really the only readily available ammo where I live. Southern Mass doesn't offer a lot of choices especially when price is a consideration. Dick's Sporting Goods is usually stocked but mainly with their lovely mark up.

Back
Top Bottom