• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt action .22's what do you use?

I want to buy a bolt action .22 but there doesn't seem to be to many out there what's working for you guys? recomondations. I think I'm leaning toward a Savage Mark II TR. I want a good shooter accuracy wise.

I have only ever fired one, and it is my son's Mossberg... It is a nice little rifle, and the price was really good..

My kids got me a Savage MKII BTVS 22 for my birthday this Spring. It groups about 1/2" at 50 yards and 1"-1 1/4" at 100 yards on a fairly calm day. I ordered a 10 shot mag because it only comes with a five shot.
10htuh5.jpg

Last edited:
Marlin 780. Cost me $100 at Callaghan's in Marlborough. Little work on the bolt (firing pin was sticking) and it's a tack driver.

One thing I gotta add about the Savage MK II's is that they have the adjustable accu-trigger. Not bad out of the box but you can easily lighten the trigger more by trimming the trigger return spring a bit.

I've got an old Mossberg 46b that does great. The Mossberg military training rifles made during 30s and 40s are cheap and accurate too.

Another vote for the CZ452. I've got a CZ452LUX (ok, it's my wife's) and that is a tack-driver. I prefer to shoot it to my 10/22T. We need another CZ. :D

Doug

I use a Tula TOZ-78 as my squirrel gun. It's now sold as the Winchester Wildcat (with a different stock).

Toz-78-01a.jpg

The factory "irons" leave a bit to be desired (black on black) but once you put a 'scope or a red dot on it it becomes very accurate. Trigger is adjustable for pull & creep. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right but once you find the sweet spot its a thing of beauty.

This is one I'll never sell.

I'll also second recommendations on the Savage
Savage17C.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Savage MkII, thumbhole & heavy barrel. It shoots well, but I have to agree with Jose - it feels cheap. Fit and finish on mine and it's 17HMR cousin were somewhat random. Functioned fine, but 2 of the 3 the spare mags I bought for it required tweaking before they worked properly.

I haven't bought a CZ 452 American yet, but only because I have a Browning T-bolt that still insists that it can handle anything I would want the CZ for. So far, I've believed it. Great looking, very well made, shoots great, and not afflicted with the salt wood treatment Browning was using on some stocks way back when. I'm not sure how the current T-bolt compares to the 60's Belgian ones - but they do still offer a lefty version.

RimfireCentral.com would be worth checking out - more info on 22lr than anyone wants to read in one sitting. You also might consider cruising the local gunshops for all the 1950-70's 22lr basic bolt rifles that all the major manufacturers used to turn out. They might be old and worn looking, but those rifles had a lot more work put into them than the equivalent product today, and are pretty near impossible to wear out. They could need a bit of work (like recrowning the barrel to fix wear caused by over-agressive cleaning), but if you're not in a rush you should be able to find some nice pieces.

My next 22LR bolt gun will be a CZ 452 American in left hand, if that gives any indication what I think about them. Built to 'nice centerfire rifle' quality levels, everyone I've ever talked to with one said theirs would shoot very well, and available in lefty. I'm a sucker for left hand rifles. [smile]

On the cheaper side....CZ 452's are extremely hard to beat. They are built like real rifles and are very accurate.
Up a buck or two is an Anshutz 64 actions. They are VERY nice rifles and usually more accurate than a CZ. ( But we are talking hairs usually, till you get into the 54 actions)
Then you have the true target guns. Annie 54's, Rem 40x's, and custom actions and custom barrels.

with out really going bonkers savage,CZ are great for their price point. Dont rule out older used models. My friend bought a charles daly supperior II for 100.00 with a scope and it shoots very good. He also scored a nice weatherby @ a gun shop in florida. The shop happens to be very heavy in "tactical" firearms and didnt want it laying around. He paid a huge 175.00 bucks
Now thats a sweet gun for a 22. Theres also a boat load of single shot rifles out there to be had for less money. Seems no one really wants a old used single shot any more. Well not right now anyway.

I have my trusty Glenfield 25 shoot short,long and long rifle nice little shooter.

Remington 513 targetmaster US property training rifle---Fn Tank. Shoots great too. I have a stupid big scope on it and like shooting clay targets on the 100y burm.

I just got a CZ 455 American, which is the "updated" 452. Has a switch barrel capacity. Buy a .22 and get a .22 Mag, and 17HMR barrel far another $189 each.
Nice Rifle.

Just over @ odcmp.com for some garand stuff.

they have new unissued Kimber 82 and savage MKI and MKII in stock

Winchester Model 52B, with Unertl 8x Marine Sniper scope. 1950s all the way.

Attachments

• Win52B.jpg
    Win52B.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom