Bolt handle snapped off my .300WM

I bought an R700 off someone, went to the range, shot 5 rounds and the bolt handle snapped off. Upon close inspection, a red epoxy was used to meld the handle back to the bolt. Is the cheapest option to just by a new LA R700 bolt, or take it to a smith and repair it?

I bought an R700 off someone, went to the range, shot 5 rounds and the bolt handle snapped off. Upon close inspection, a red epoxy was used to meld the handle back to the bolt. Is the cheapest option to just by a new LA R700 bolt, or take it to a smith and repair it?
get a new bolt you can most likely better custom aftermarket one

Easy fix, you can change that yourself. Then figure out why they broke it.

If it's hard to extract a warm round, polish the chamber a little bit.

That's a strange looking break. I don't see how the handle could have peeled off so cleanly if it were a metal fracture. It sort of looks to me that the handle and bolt were made as two separate pieces. You can even see two round features on both parts in corresponding locations that look like a broken screw.

That's a strange looking break. I don't see how the handle could have peeled off so cleanly if it were a metal fracture. It sort of looks to me that the handle and bolt were made as two separate pieces. You can even see two round features on both parts in corresponding locations that look like a broken screw.
That’s just how it is. Bolt and handle are separate pieces and attached with silver brazing. I thought the round thing was a nub and indentation for lining them up.

That isnt a bad thing because depending on the year, some had timing issues and the only fix is to reposition the cam or build it up with a tig and mill it. check out snipershide , accurate shooter for info. LRI, SAC are a couple bigger shops that come to mind, but I'd also like to think that a local smith could tig weld it back on.

I would be interested in the bolt if you decide to part with it.

Remington is sloppy cleaning up the chambers. If there are any rough machine marks left, after firing a toasty 300WM, you won't be able to open the bolt. I have seen people bang on the bolt with everything from a rock to a hammer to open it. Probably how this broke. If you shoot core lok, or something similar, you'll never have a problem. Fix the bolt, polish the chamber. While you are at it, lose that rail and put a better one on it.

If you want to sell the gun, let me know. I hear 6.5 creedmoor is all the rage anyways.

Ahhh, Remington quality.... There is a reason they went bankrupt... It ain't your grandfather's Remington no more..

Fix it right, sell it and look at something else. A Springfield 2020 Waypoint for example. Or Bergara, or Tikka.. The Browning X-Bolt is nice too. Weatherby Vanguard is an awesome rifle at the price point. All are vastly superior in quality to a Remington.

Prpbnot what you want to hear. Is what it is though. Remington made low quality stuff, especially their last decade or so in business.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Remington quality.... There is a reason they went bankrupt... It ain't your grandfather's Remington no more..

Fix it right, sell it and look at something else. A Springfield 2020 Waypoint for example. Or Bergara, or Tikka.. The Browning X-Bolt is nice too. Weatherby Vanguard is an awesome rifle at the price point. All are vastly superior in quality to a Remington.

Prpbnot what you want to hear. Is what it is though. Remington made low quality stuff, especially their last decade or so in business.
Yeah I dig the waypoint. It will be tough letting this rifle go, I have tons of brass, bullets, and primers for 300WM that I am probably going to sell. I bought a McMillan A4 stock for this gun before I shot it, I wanted to do an M40A3 clone in 300WM. First time I take it to the range the bolt handle breaks and I sell the stock.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Remington quality.... There is a reason they went bankrupt... It ain't your grandfather's Remington
Yeah I dig the waypoint. It will be tough letting this rifle go, I have tons of brass, bullets, and primers for 300WM that I am probably going to sell. I bought a McMillan A4 stock for this gun before I shot it, I wanted to do an M40A3 clone in 300WM. First time I take it to the range the bolt handle breaks and I sell the stock.

Well if that is the cartridge you want, keep it.. I feel you. I like the Waypoint too but ots only available in short action cartridges and I want it in 30-06.

Could the red have been loctite? If it's a broken screw a competent gunsmith should be able to remove the broken part that is stuck and replace just the screw and loctite.

Why do you need to rebarrel it?

Seems to be a known issue with the silver solder on these bolts. Get it welded/re-soldered.

Lots of people hate on the old R700, but I have a few of them and can't really complain. 2 still are all stock and shoot great, another has a remage and it's a hammer. I do have another that I may sell, just because it never gets out of the back of the safe.

Send a photo to Remington and ask if they will send you a new bolt... or, would they like to see that photo showing up ALL OVER THE INTERNET...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom