Boston Gun Range needs your HELP!!

April 24th at 10 am The Boston Gun Range will be going infront of the Lic. Board in Worcester.(city hall) The more people that show up for support ..the better! Even if you have only visited them once...or haven't yet. We need to stand together .... Any help is appreciated by them!

They are willing to put up a year membership for all that do attend!!!

The Boston Gun Range Family would like to extend our sincerest thanks to everyone who made it to our city council meeting on 04/24/2008. There truly is power in numbers and the council took notice today. However the issue of our license to operate has been continued until May 8th and now we need even more of you to show up and help support us. We will still be offering a free membership to anyone who shows up. Worcester City Hall, May 8th Room 308 10:00 am. They are trying to take away your right to learn about the proper use and safety of firearms. That may not sound crucial to you but this step will make it even more difficult for a law abiding citizen to obtain a license to carry a firearm, meaning only criminals will have guns. Sound Scary??Again this is ours and your 2nd amendment right. If you have any questions please feel free to call the BGR at 508-755-9955 or e-mail us at [email protected]

Hope to see some of you there... remember give an inch and they will take a mile.

Damn it I didn't see this thread until now. [thinking]

FREE YEAR MEMBERSHIP STILL APPLIES!

I wish I saw this earlier!

I will try to be there in May.

I'll be the one there on crutches... Knee surgery on the 2nd.... are crutches banned in a by Gemme due to the posibility that they may be used as a weapon or will I need to be carried in.

Tater, I don't live in your area, but I will be there on May 8th at 10:00 a.m. and ready to speak for your facility I'll be coming from a client's office in Ware, so I'll be sporting in a suit and tie as well. I've sent an email to confirm this post. See you then.

RD

Just to clarify I am just pasing on the word from some friends who are members at the range. I am always willing to pass on the word when the 2nd ammendment is being shat upon.

Can't find the thread but it was in the Worcester Telegram & Gazette
http://www.telegram.com/article/20080425/NEWS/804250617/1101

Friday, April 25, 2008
Gun range endures legal wrangling

License Commission puts decision on hold

By Thomas Caywood TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WORCESTER— A city gun range that Police Chief Gary J. Gemme wants to shut down for allegedly allowing some patrons to target shoot without a firearm license will remain open for now, after the city License Commission put off any decision on the chief’s request for at least two weeks.

A lawyer for the Boston Gun Range challenged the basis of the proposed license suspension at a hearing yesterday, arguing that under state law, a person may handle and shoot a firearm at a gun range if he or she is with someone who has a valid Firearm Identification Card.

The lawyer, James P. Ehrhard of Worcester, also argued that the undercover police officers who rented guns, and bought and fired ammunition at the Route 20 range while posing as civilians without FID cards in a sting operation late last month, are licensed to carry firearms by virtue of being sworn police officers.

“We may not have seen the licenses, but the ordinance doesn’t say we have to,” Mr. Ehrhard said. He later added, “There’s been no violation. Four licensed police officers fired guns.”

After a back-and-forth legal debate between Mr. Ehrhard and Capt. John J. Ryder, head of the Police Department’s Licensing Division, over city and state laws governing firearms, the License Commission voted to put off its decision on the suspension request until at least its next meeting, May 8.

“This is a very complex issue. There’s been a lot thrown at us. I need to absorb this a little bit more,” said Chairman Kevin O’Sullivan.

Commissioners Peter Lukes and Karon Shea agreed.

“It’s confusing to me,” said Ms. Shea of the flurry of legal arguments and counterarguments advanced by Mr. Ehrhard and the three police officers who testified at the hearing. “I’m really at a loss as to the right direction.”

Chief Gemme has asked the License Commission to suspend Boston Gun Range’s city license to operate what city law classifies as a “shooting gallery.”

Mr. Ehrhard told the commissioners that while he didn’t want to see that happen, such an action would not shut down Boston Gun Range. He argued that the business could continue to operate as a gun range under state laws.

The business holds other licenses — to rent firearms, sell ammunition and to operate as a gunsmith — issued directly by the Police Department, not the License Commission.

Those licenses have been suspended by the chief, but the suspensions aren’t being enforced while Boston Gun Range challenges them in Worcester Superior Court.

Those suspensions stemmed from an investigation into a suicide in October 2006 at the 317 Southwest Cutoff range.

In another incident in February, a handgun fired by a customer at the range malfunctioned and exploded in his hand, inflicting a minor injury. Police investigated the accident and found that of the four men who were shooting in the injured man’s group, only two had firearms licenses.

Police said that’s a violation of a city ordinance. The range maintains it’s allowed under state law.

Mr. Ehrhard, sitting beside range owner Mark Tashjian, said during yesterday’s hearing that Chief Gemme has seemed bent on closing the range ever since the suicide.

“I understand the chief doesn’t like the Boston Gun Range, but he’s not the Legislature. He’s not the City Council. He’s not even the License Commission,” Mr. Ehrhard said in one of several comments seeming to question the chief’s motivation in seeking the license suspension.

Chief Gemme, who was away at a police conference in Florida, said in a telephone interview yesterday afternoon that the notion he is out to get Boston Gun Range is a “worn-out legal tactic.”

“I don’t have any personal issues with them. My issue is public safety,” he said. “When you look at known gang members and violent offenders using that range to develop expertise, and when you look at injuries to a suicide, not their first suicide, it’s my obligation to make sure we investigate that.”

Mr. O’Sullivan, the commission chairman, said during the hearing that he hadn’t spoken to Chief Gemme about the Boston Gun Range, but the police allegations represent a licensing matter worthy of the commission’s attention.

“It’s a serious issue,” he said.

from lat year

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-160494158.html

Any problems with T&G?

Did anyone else have problems posting comments on the T&G website about this?
I tried a few posts but none went through.

Back
Top Bottom