• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northern NH public range

Groveton does have an active clays program. The clays range is downrange, so the other ranges are closed when clays shoots are going on.
I was planning on going for our first time tomorrow, I notice they are doing clays at 8am, does that mean they will have the other ranges will be closed down all day or like for a couple hours?

Have only been in Scorpio's once. Need to get there again.

I like Copper Pig's dark beer and especially when they do their imperial stout. It's worth checking out their specials as they are sometimes a wide departure from their normal menu items.

Smokin Ts sometimes gets 'cute' with their specials, but the food is good, the portions are usually generous, and I've never had a bad meal there. Beer is generally affordable too-I think $6 a regular pint glass where lots of places are $7 and up.

Grandma's Kitchen in Whitefield sells 12 ounce bottles of Sam Adams for $8 :oops: -I just need to stick to breakfast when I go there.
I grew up in Whitefield, used to go to Grandma's kitchen for breakfast all the time.

I'll definitely have to check out the Copper pig and Smokin Ts

We are always excited for first time shooters. We usually are good at recognizing them. Most of the first 1hr or so is on safety. And it's talked about all day. There's a huge focus on. If someones not comfortable with something we do our best to help, coach, and instruct. If we recognize an unsafe situation we will adapt. Each of you will get a ton of instructions, one on one coaching, and lots of experience over the weekend. I have yet to see someone leave the weekend not being a safer shooter, a better shot, or a better knowledge of history.

To how it works can go depending on you. You can sign them up, but we need a parent present. So stick around. Plus you want to hear the instructions yourself so you can help reinforce them after the event.

But better, you should be on the line yourself. We have the instruction for the weekend, no need for you to worry about that. You should be on the line enjoying yourself.

We have an event in Dunbarton and Littleton in October. I'm 100% attending Dunbarton, Littleton I think I'll be there. Not that it matters.
Thanks for the information, I live in the Littleton area so I was considering doing that one, going to see how they do the first time at the range and kinda go from there though

I do NOT recommend Appleseed for newbies. Transitioning positions safely with a slung rifle takes practice and proper training. None of which was done when I did an Appleseed (and my Wife did it too on a female only range) at Pelham many years ago.

Let them learn the fundamentals well before tackling an Appleseed.
Who was the Shoot Boss?

That's exactly what Appleseed does; provide training for "newbies".

Who else provides that type of "practice and proper training" to take before an Appleseed?

When I was an Appleseed Shoot Boss, adapting to the needs of the students was a high priority.

There were many occasions where new gun owners literally brought their guns to the range, still in the box, having never opened it before.

The Red Hat Instructors educated, trained, and coached them all with no accidents or injuries.

Groveton does have an active clays program. The clays range is downrange, so the other ranges are closed when clays shoots are going on.

My only shotgun is 18.5" cylinder bore loaded with 4B followed by slugs, so I'm not into shooting clays. ;)
Stick 'em on a post on a trail through the woods and that shottie will do just fine!

;)

rebar shotgun target stand clay.jpg

rebar shotgun target stand clay rear.jpg

Who was the Shoot Boss?

That's exactly what Appleseed does; provide training for "newbies".

Who else provides that type of "practice and proper training" to take before an Appleseed?

When I was an Appleseed Shoot Boss, adapting to the needs of the students was a high priority.

There were many occasions where new gun owners literally brought their guns to the range, still in the box, having never opened it before.

The Red Hat Instructors educated, trained, and coached them all with no accidents or injuries.
No idea but this was >10 yrs ago at Pelham.

It was a Second Amendment Sisters of MA event and about 1/2 of those women didn't have MA LTCs and had only shot a few handguns before this event. My Wife was amongst the few women with LTCs and had shot a .22 rifle before but never with a sling and never transitioned shooting positions before. They got no training on how to do this safely, according to what she told me.

The men shot on a different range and I was amongst them. I had shot with a sling before but never transitioned with a rifle before this. We got no training on how to do this safely.

I will say that the experience all depends on the quality of the instructors and instruction. Our experiences turned both of us off regarding Appleseed.

Back
Top Bottom