Boston having a gun buy back

i was at the Brockton listening tour re: gun violence and new laws a month ago

a non gun owner suggested more gun buy-backs and to his credit, rep. naughton quickly dismissed the notion as a waste of time & money as nothing used in street crime is turned in

however: I have an old marlin 60 I paid $80.00 for---if I turn it in for the $200.00 gift card, sell the card for $125-150 on craiglist I'm well on my way to a ruger 10-22

capitalism at it's best

EDIT!!!!!!!! didn't see the "no long guns" guess they knew what might happen---bummer --I was counting my profit too soon
why take the hit by selling the visa gift card? Use it IN the gun shop! I doubt that they can track it, but if they can...!

- - - Updated - - -

Want to show the world the folly of gun buybacks? Invite a reporter along for the turn in of 5 ravens and same day purchase of a Windham AR with the credit cards.
Gun buy backs provide propaganda for the other side.

To anyone that participates in a gun buy back:
You are part of the problem!
I think that's just nonsense. Just yelling it louder doesn't make it so. I think it exposes the foolishness of the other side. But hey, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Hey i got an idea if you want to put that 100,000 to good use why not fix some of these potholes in my town that will make things ALOT safer then a gun buyback crap! [angry2]

Hey i got an idea if you want to put that 100,000 to good use why not fix some of these potholes in my town that will make things ALOT safer then a gun buyback crap! [angry2]

Fix it yourself. Asking the .gov to fix your roads only gives their side photo propaganda of the .gov doing something.

lol

just kidding of course...

Anybody doing this "well I paid $X for this and they're paying $Y" would do well to consider inflation. Just because the number paid today is greater than the number you paid years past does not mean that you are coming out ahead.

If I can't appeal to you on moral grounds perhaps you'll listen to good economic sense.

Anybody doing this "well I paid $X for this and they're paying $Y" would do well to consider inflation. Just because the number paid today is greater than the number you paid years past does not mean that you are coming out ahead.

If I can't appeal to you on moral grounds perhaps you'll listen to good economic sense.
will you pay me $200 for my Raven?

I paid all of $37 each for my 4 Ravens, will be happy to sell them for $199 each. Just wandering... is this a BOYCOTT thread in disguise?

Originally, my take on it was bring in a few old rusted POS 22 rifles I have and get money. Then I started looking at what the end result would be.
I would be contributing to the obligatory photo op. "Look at all the guns we got off the street."
Which really would mean, "look at the problem that doesn't actually exist, but we need to make you believe it does to build support for our gun grabbing agenda".
Every time I see gun buyback photos, it usually looks like a pile of rifles taken from the back of some widow's closet, guns turned in by people that most likely wouldn't commit crimes with them.

Long read, but worth it IMHO.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-back-program?highlight=worcester+gun+buyback

After rereading the linked thread, all you need to know in a single easy to understand statement:
When you support your enemies, you encourage them to continue their course against you.
White Feather

why take the hit by selling the visa gift card? Use it IN the gun shop! I doubt that they can track it, but if they can...!

- - - Updated - - -

my mistake---thought it was a gift card to target---but as I said no long guns so I'm SOL anyway

Boycott gun "buybacks"? Absolutely.

JFC what an out youreelf thread. How the hell would this better law abiding citizens ? It won't period. Doing it just to laugh in their face as they give you back more than you spent (your taxes hard at work anyways ) is asinine and counterproductive. Mind as well volunteer your time writing down the models and SN's while you're at it.

So you won't pay me $200 for a Raven. Gotchya. So much for the good economic sense approach post?

My comment in general wasn't specific to a Raven, but to try and remind people that they might not be getting a deal if they don't think about the ravages of inflation.

There is no benefit to a gun buyback to the other side other than to their own personal political futures. They will NEVER be able to point to a crime and say "See? The gun buyback prevented this"! Never. There is NO REAL BENEFIT to a buyback any more than there is a real benefit to any other daily speech given by a politician.

The buyback will happen with or without your participation. The pictures will be taken. The speeches proclaiming all they have done for the city will be made. Even as they speak the words they know that they are useless against crime.

They have limited funds. Take them from them and use them against them. You don't want another Windham AR? Send the money to Comm2A. Take the reporter and get your $1,000 in Visa cards and get one of them big presentation checks and make it out to Comm2A.

We KNOW that those funds will go to stopping crime, right?

What part of the "sublime irony" are you guys missing? Are you so hung up with your own hatred for "gun buybacks" that you won't use them against the perpetrators?

You hate the enemy so much you won't pick up his rifle and shoot him with it?

But it's used value will be less then "x"

JFC what an out youreelf thread. How the hell would this better law abiding citizens ? It won't period. Doing it just to laugh in their face as they give you back more than you spent (your taxes hard at work anyways ) is asinine and counterproductive. Mind as well volunteer your time writing down the models and SN's while you're at it.

Is the money coming from taxes or from private individuals? My assumption is it's coming from donations. THAT might change my perspective on things.

Whether they are paying a cop to swing by a church to look at a gun and determine if it's functional is irrelevant. They're on the clock, they can be inspecting guns or eating donuts. There's only enough money for 500 guns and it's spread out over I think 20 locations, and it's an ongoing 9-5 thing until they run out of cash.

There is no benefit to a gun buyback to the other side other than to their own personal political futures. They will NEVER be able to point to a crime and say "See? The gun buyback prevented this"! Never. There is NO REAL BENEFIT to a buyback any more than there is a real benefit to any other daily speech given by a politician.

The buyback will happen with or without your participation. The pictures will be taken. The speeches proclaiming all they have done for the city will be made. Even as they speak the words they know that they are useless against crime.

They have limited funds. Take them from them and use them against them. You don't want another Windham AR? Send the money to Comm2A. Take the reporter and get your $1,000 in Visa cards and get one of them big presentation checks and make it out to Comm2A.

We KNOW that those funds will go to stopping crime, right?

What part of the "sublime irony" are you guys missing? Are you so hung up with your own hatred for "gun buybacks" that you won't use them against the perpetrators?

You hate the enemy so much you won't pick up his rifle and shoot him with it?

Is the money coming from taxes or from private individuals? My assumption is it's coming from donations. THAT might change my perspective on things.

Whether they are paying a cop to swing by a church to look at a gun and determine if it's functional is irrelevant. They're on the clock, they can be inspecting guns or eating donuts. There's only enough money for 500 guns and it's spread out over I think 20 locations, and it's an ongoing 9-5 thing until they run out of cash.

I concede that there are some good points here. Some of my problems with these events:

1) The very term "buy back". How can they buy "back" something they didn't buy in the first place? It suggests the notion that you were only given tentative permission to have the gun in the first place. That it was never really yours.

2) Public image. These events foster the idea that guns are bad, that they're all out "on the street" doing great harm, etc. A great number of people will hear of these events and think, "Oh, good, they're getting rid of more nasty guns". It also doesn't help that politicians get to grandstand and bloviate about all the "good works" they're doing.

3) Scamming. How many old ladies have been ripped off by these things? How many have sold guns that their husband/father/whomever brought back from WWII? How many of these guns were snatched up by the cops working the events for their own private collection? Yes, these people should know better. But all the same I don't like how they're being taken.

I concede that there are some good points here. Some of my problems with these events:

1) The very term "buy back". How can they buy "back" something they didn't buy in the first place? It suggests the notion that you were only given tentative permission to have the gun in the first place. That it was never really yours.

2) Public image. These events foster the idea that guns are bad, that they're all out "on the street" doing great harm, etc. A great number of people will hear of these events and think, "Oh, good, they're getting rid of more nasty guns". It also doesn't help that politicians get to grandstand and bloviate about all the "good works" they're doing.

3) Scamming. How many old ladies have been ripped off by these things? How many have sold guns that their husband/father/whomever brought back from WWII? How many of these guns were snatched up by the cops working the events for their own private collection? Yes, these people should know better. But all the same I don't like how they're being taken.
I can't control their gun "buy back" program's names, modes of operation. But I can possibly help by ruining their image.

I bet we could collect 25, 50 or even a hundred crappy revolvers or pistols and turn them into a nice Comm2A donation, and get some of that evil BuyBackScrip off the streets. Couldn't we?

I can't control their gun "buy back" program's names, modes of operation. But I can possibly help by ruining their image.

I bet we could collect 25, 50 or even a hundred crappy revolvers or pistols and turn them into a nice Comm2A donation, and get some of that evil BuyBackScrip off the streets. Couldn't we?

How do we donate a gift card to a store or one of those Visa/MC/Amex prepaid cards to Comm2A?

It's a serious question, I'm not trying to be snarky here.

How do we donate a gift card to a store or one of those Visa/MC/Amex prepaid cards to Comm2A?

It's a serious question, I'm not trying to be snarky here.

Good question.

If Comm2A wanted the cards they could be used to pay some of their bills, I assume. We could also keep the cards ourselves and donate cash. Typically I go through thousands of dollars in charges in a month, some of which I easily could put onto a different card.

Open carry to the gun buyback!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Come up with 500 ravens...and make a big press announcement about donating thw money en masse to comm2a....2+2=4.13¿

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

From the link in post #35. Written on 12-13-2011 by EddieCoyle. (Before Liawatha became our Senior Senator.)

Food Retailers Announce Permanent Groceries For Guns Program

WORCESTER - Because of the rousing success of the December 2011 gun buyback, with over 100 dangerous weapons removed from the streets, Whole Foods, Roche Bros, and Trader Joes have joined with Wegmans to announce their new permanent "Groceries for Guns" program.

Under this program, anyone turning in any gun at any time will receive a gift card that can be exchanged for $50 worth of groceries. The strong turnout in Worcester has prompted the retailers to expand the program to Boston, Springfield, Brockton, Lowell, Lawrence, Fitchburg, and Holyoke. The police departments in these cities will be ready to accept guns in exchange for gift cards by the beginning of May.

Earlier today, Senator Elizabeth Warren introduced "The Safe Communities Act", a bill to provide federal tax breaks for retailers who participate in gun buyback programs.

Later today, Governor Patrick is expected to sign into law his One Gun A Month bill. Community leaders across the state are praising the Governor for his latest gun control initiative, citing the huge increase in weapons seized during the buyback programs as a clear indicator that the state needs stricter gun control to crack down on gun crime.

The adult, licensed gun owner, of even average intelligence in the ever increasing oppressive police state of Massachusetts that sells guns of any condition for any price to a sponsored gun buy is treasonous to the liberties of the rest of us.

It is a non-issue. Don't do it.

White Feather

Come up with 500 ravens...and make a big press announcement about donating thw money en masse to comm2a....2+2=4.13¿

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If I didnt know this would get shutdown as soon as a Statists realized tbey were being taken advantage of, I'd say start a Kickstarter campaign, raise the money for the Ravens, and try to beat them at their own game. That said, they would find out, and that anonymity promise would get retracted immediately, resulting in the very least, suitability reviews.

If have some that is broken, fix it, or give it to someone who can. If it works, save it. You may need to arm a family member or friend someday who could use that gun to save a life or feed their family.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom