Boston having a gun buy back

IMHO Any gun owner who utilizes the so called "buy back" for money is doing themselves and the rest of us more harm than good, all for 200. Each gun turned in is viewed as a "loose weapon on the street" and subsequently another mark against law abiding gun owners. As stated above these are 100% PR games against gun ownership and if you play that game you are doing yourself a disservice as well as your fellow gun owners. If you don't believe this, just look at the statements from the Leos. None ever say "legal gun owner turns in gun for money so they can buy another or because they no longer used it" its always a bad killing machine removed from the street.

Sent from the blind

I agree with Woodsy, but I still want to ask the question - has anyone turned anything in and when they asked you if you were a boston resident did they require proof? or just your word?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rovichris
Stop all the BS, here's a real story.

Went to BPD station today.
Turned in a working 22 revolver. Have to load it one shell at a time through loading gate PITA and nothing I really care for.
First officer can't get the cylinder out, does it work? Go into back room with him and demonstrate operation.
Shift change 45 minutes later, next officer we can't get it open?
I showed the last guy bring it out and I'll show the Sergeant.
OK, 15 minutes later comes out with my gun in a box.
Asks me are you a Boston resident? I answer no, but work in town X in Boston so I brought it in.
Program is only for Boston residents he says.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the Gun Buyback Program?
A. The gun buyback program is a proactive campaign to take guns off our streets. The buyback program asks city residents to turn-in their gun(s) and in return receive a $200.00 Visa® gift card at designated drop-off locations citywide. The “no questions asked” program will allow individuals to anonymously dispose of firearms without fear of charges for illegal possession when turning in the weapon at a designated drop-off location.

So how could they tell you were from Boston?

From their web site:
One Less Gun: One Arrest, One Illegal Firearm & Drugs Recovered in Dorchester

March 26, 2014 On 3/25/14 at 10:51am members of the Boston Police Drug Control Unit executed a search warrant at 100 Maple Street in Dorchester (Area B2). Officers recovered 18 individually packaged plastic bag's containing crack cocaine and a loaded black & silver 9mm firearm. The Firearm contained a spent round in the chamber and was loaded with a magazine that contained 12 9mm rounds of ammunition. An additional magazine loaded with 13 rounds of ammunition was also recovered.

Really? Failure to eject? Was the guy doing dry fire drills?
White Feather

So now there is a $200 reward for someone to steal handguns! Great planning!! This will not make the children in CT anymore alive. It does in fact create a black market reward for theft. Bravo Zulu, you brain dead moron.

So how does a $200 gift card to whole foods or whatever buy you another gun? Last I checked FFLs prefer cash.
The presumption, of course, is that one would rework their monthly budget allocating more to "defense spending" and less to groceries if they had received a grocery store gift card.

This assumes that one actually has a monthly budget and does not have one or more EBT cards already in hand for groceries.

If the latter is true, I guess you either sell the EBT card(s) or the grocery store gift card(s) for cash.

As for the PR Battle, the Progressives own the media. We'll never win it. Unpossible.

We win so long as gun manufacturers are manufacturing and selling more new guns than old guns are being turned in or rusting into worthlessness.

When SHTF the people with guns will have the advantage. And the better the guns the better.

Imagine getting $200.00 of your money back for a $50.00 gun, and from the .gov no less. Who says there isn't a Santa Clause?

So how does a $200 gift card to whole foods or whatever buy you another gun? Last I checked FFLs prefer cash.

The presumption, of course, is that one would rework their monthly budget allocating more to "defense spending" and less to groceries if they had received a grocery store gift card.

This assumes that one actually has a monthly budget and does not have one or more EBT cards already in hand for groceries.

If the latter is true, I guess you either sell the EBT card(s) or the grocery store gift card(s) for cash.
in this case they appear to be offering "Visa gift cards"... prepaid credit cards, good everywhere you see the Visa logo. I believe.

Imagine this for something the media wouldn't report on:

A New Hampshire gun buyback program with 1,000 people lined up around the block with killy black rifles strapped to their shoulders and a $50.00 POS handguns in their pockets to turn in for cash to go toward funding that new build.

in this case they appear to be offering "Visa gift cards"... prepaid credit cards, good everywhere you see the Visa logo. I believe.
I agree. It does appear that way (although hard details have been difficult to come by so far). Might have something to do with the lack of corporate sponsorships this time around.

I wonder if they would take effed up 80%ers that got screwed up on the final stages [grin] After all the lower is considered the gun lol.

Last edited:
solid reasoning

sidenote, why won't they give money for rifles? I heard ones with detachable magazines are very dangerous and kill indiscriminately

This is actually the only part of the program that makes much sense. If you look at what the ATF has published, http://www.atf.gov/statistics/trace-data/2012-trace-data.html , way more semi-autos and revolvers get used in crime than shotguns and rifles. I'm pretty sure that the rifles that are used are usually not black and killy either.

They've admitted that these gun buyback programs do not reduce crime, and that anybody likely to use a gun to commit a crime is very unlikely to turn it in for a gift card.

So... Why do they do them? Can anybody answer that? (or take a serious educated guess).

What do the people sponsoring these events hope to accomplish?

I need a little help here.
I want to go turn in some active guns, but also want to blend in like a resident.

problem.
I can't find any ball caps with the bill on the side, only the ones with the bill on the front.

where do the bangers get those?

They've admitted that these gun buyback programs do not reduce crime, and that anybody likely to use a gun to commit a crime is very unlikely to turn it in for a gift card.

So... Why do they do them? Can anybody answer that? (or take a serious educated guess).

Ah. You're trying to apply logic where it doesn't even begin to make sense, nevermind the brilliant volunteers running it.

They just want more chances (and airtime) to bash guns. Then the loyal subjects of the Commiewealth will feel happy that they are being protected, and will continue to vote for more leftist statist thugs.

They just want more chances (and airtime) to bash guns. Then the loyal subjects of the Commiewealth will feel happy that they are being protected, and will continue to vote for more leftist statist thugs.
EXACTLY.

this gets them in front of the camera "doing something about guns" then again to pat themselves on the back for what a great job they've done. It's meaningless except to their own personal PR campaign.

We should take that glory from them.

EXACTLY.

this gets them in front of the camera "doing something about guns" then again to pat themselves on the back for what a great job they've done. It's meaningless except to their own personal PR campaign.

Flip flopper. [laugh] [hmmm]

EXACTLY.

So, what you're saying is that they do this for political reasons, and for "PR". By "PR", I'm assuming that you mean that they'll use it as a means to keep the sheep scared, and to scare more sheep. Am I right?

Would be kinda funny if the only props for their photo-op were hundreds of crappy Ravens.

They asked, I answered. Didn't think quoting the "I thought this was no questions asked?" was going to increase my odds.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rovichris
Stop all the BS, here's a real story.

Went to BPD station today.
Turned in a working 22 revolver. Have to load it one shell at a time through loading gate PITA and nothing I really care for.
First officer can't get the cylinder out, does it work? Go into back room with him and demonstrate operation.
Shift change 45 minutes later, next officer we can't get it open?
I showed the last guy bring it out and I'll show the Sergeant.
OK, 15 minutes later comes out with my gun in a box.
Asks me are you a Boston resident? I answer no, but work in town X in Boston so I brought it in.
Program is only for Boston residents he says.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the Gun Buyback Program?
A. The gun buyback program is a proactive campaign to take guns off our streets. The buyback program asks city residents to turn-in their gun(s) and in return receive a $200.00 Visa® gift card at designated drop-off locations citywide. The “no questions asked” program will allow individuals to anonymously dispose of firearms without fear of charges for illegal possession when turning in the weapon at a designated drop-off location.

So how could they tell you were from Boston?

WTF is an "active" gun?
How are they going to know or check?

Sent from the blind

From my limited experience I was informed the Sergeant at the station is the only one qualified to make this determination.
And he's busy so not sure when he'll get to this.

If I were a questionable person with a real piece to turn in for whatever reason, I wouldn't sit in the station lobby for over an hour waiting for the "Sergeant".
Fortunately I'm not questionable except when they ask if I'm a Boston resident.

So, what you're saying is that they do this for political reasons, and for "PR". By "PR", I'm assuming that you mean that they'll use it as a means to keep the sheep scared, and to scare more sheep. Am I right?
Eddie, the way that I see it is that there is not much middle ground in this state. Nobody seems to be sitting on the fence. On one side, you have the law-abiding, licensed gun owners like ourselves and others who are determined to join our ranks, including an increasing number of women due to fear of crime. On the other side are the scared sheeple, who believe that only the military and police are "professional" and "well-trained" enough to own/possess firearms (and for that matter, all other weapons of self-defense). Today's children are our future, but they are being brainwashed by liberal educators and politicians to believe that firearms, knives, etc. are evil. They are subjected to crazy over-reactions such as school lock-downs (unheard-of in my day!), random searches, police sending K-9 units into the school to do locker searches, etc. Crazy stuff. We must turn this around 180 degrees if we have any chance of keeping our 2A rights in the future.

Back
Top Bottom