Boston having a gun buy back

Even though I am a comparable newb i thought i at least heard of most well known guns out there. i dont think I have ever heard of the ravens until this thread. So at least this thread taught me anouther gun to run away from if i see it for sale...

You guys seem to be missing the reality we've been trying to point out for years with these dog and pony shows.

99.99999% of the crap they pickup is worse than crap as it is crap of questionable origin.

To make matters worse in MA you have the AG's (non)list issues.

Just let them drool on themselves. We should be pointing out the wasted resources and opportunity cost of $100K that could have been spent actually making people's lives better or, say, catching criminals?

How about if all the money they spent tracking law abiding gun owners was spent investigating Tsarnev's suspected involvement in a triple murder prior to the Marathon Attacks?

"Doing something, anything" is not without a cost and a potentially deadly one at that.

I like the idea but part of the problem with it is that most of these buybacks, like 75% of the yield is trash. Even in the free-er states where these things yield higher participation rates, the guys offering money to the people in the parking lots are probably only considering buying 10 or 20 percent of the guns. The rest of the stuff is often things gun stores are too ashamed to put out on the shelves. Although I guess some stuff, like getting a trash-can .22 rifle or shotgun for $50 might not be so bad.

-Mike

You guys are missing the point, since I get first pick, and since we may get 1 good gun, I do not see a problem.[rofl]

Gun Buyback analogy.
A man walks into a bar, approaches a woman and asks, "Hello, would you have sex with me for 1 million dollars" She says, "YES!"
Man says, "Would you sleep with me for fifty dollars?"
Woman says "NO, what kind of woman do you think I am?"
Man says, "Well madam, we have already established that, now we are just haggling over price."

A participant in a gun buyback, is no friend of the RKBA movement, regardless of how much they pay you.

You guys seem to be missing the reality we've been trying to point out for years with these dog and pony shows.

99.99999% of the crap they pickup is worse than crap as it is crap of questionable origin.

To make matters worse in MA you have the AG's (non)list issues.

Just let them drool on themselves. We should be pointing out the wasted resources and opportunity cost of $100K that could have been spent actually making people's lives better or, say, catching criminals?

How about if all the money they spent tracking law abiding gun owners was spent investigating Tsarnev's suspected involvement in a triple murder prior to the Marathon Attacks?

"Doing something, anything" is not without a cost and a potentially deadly one at that.

This is why our government sucks so bad, or at least a very big part. No one ever does good cost-benefit analyses for government spending, because politicians (especially at the federal level) really don't care. They care about getting re-elected. So we get things like the TSA, and DHS, who spend untold billions of dollars for no appreciable results. All that money gets spent and it might as well go into a black hole. Anyone who is serious about restoring freedom to America and getting rid of the massive amount of debt that we have should take a good hard look at all of the many many projects that spend money without any return.

Gun Buyback analogy.
A man walks into a bar, approaches a woman and asks, "Hello, would you have sex with me for 1 million dollars" She says, "YES!"
Man says, "Well madam, we have already established that, now we are just haggling over price."

A participant in a gun buyback, is no friend of the RKBA movement, regardless of how much they pay you.

Your story is cute. By the way, thats supposedly a Winston Churchill quote.

I've turned guns into buybacks. They were paying 2.2x the market value of the gun. They had no historical or emoitonal value, so whats the harm. Believe me, the gun industry will make more.

I actually made a killing. I turned in 2 crates of SKS to the New Haven PD during their first buy back. They were paying $200 for an "assault weapon". At the time I could buy SKS in case quantity for a bit under $90. They knew exactly what I was doing, but there was nothing they could do. They hadn't set a limit on how many each person could turn in. I was a college student who made $200 a week working my butt off and in 1 afternoon, I made over $2200.

I took that money and bought a bicycle, which I used to get to work, and I also bought an AR15 A2 HBar. Which I still own. Tell me the harm in that?

I took that money and bought a bicycle, which I used to get to work, and I also bought an AR15 A2 HBar. Which I still own. Tell me the harm in that?

I suppose turning your guns in for money is a much better deal than having to surrender your registered guns without compensation.

I suppose turning your guns in for money is a much better deal than having to surrender your registered guns without compensation.

I didn't turn in MY guns. Think of them as inventory. I bought them in Newington for $1800, immediately drove to New Haven and turned them in for $4000.

Actually, I just remembered one other thing. I suggested my in-laws turn in an old tubular magazine, rusty piece of crap to the New London gun buy back this summer. They asked me if I wanted it, I didn't . It was rusted beyond repair and was one of the 50 different Montgomery Ward brand guns that were sold pre-WWII. The New London PD gave them $100 for the gun.

It is your civic responsibility to take advantage of stupid things the government does. Bleed the beast.

I've turned guns into buybacks. They were paying 2.2x the market value of the gun. They had no historical or emoitonal value, so whats the harm. Believe me, the gun industry will make more.

I actually made a killing. I turned in 2 crates of SKS to the New Haven PD during their first buy back. They were paying $200 for an "assault weapon". At the time I could buy SKS in case quantity for a bit under $90. They knew exactly what I was doing, but there was nothing they could do. They hadn't set a limit on how many each person could turn in. I was a college student who made $200 a week working my butt off and in 1 afternoon, I made over $2200.

It's just a sad story because those SKS got destroyed. It's nice that you ended up with a rifle that you like and still have though I guess. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy a couple of glocks in Hawaii before I moved here, but I didn't realize how bad things were here before I moved.

I didn't turn in MY guns. Think of them as inventory. I bought them in Newington for $1800, immediately drove to New Haven and turned them in for $4000.

Actually, I just remembered one other thing. I suggested my in-laws turn in an old tubular magazine, rusty piece of crap to the New London gun buy back this summer. They asked me if I wanted it, I didn't . It was rusted beyond repair and was one of the 50 different Montgomery Ward brand guns that were sold pre-WWII. The New London PD gave them $100 for the gun.

It is your civic responsibility to take advantage of stupid things the government does. Bleed the beast.

This is something that I wonder about though. Is taking government resources really bleeding the beast? If someone qualifies for foodstamps or whatever they call them these days, should they take them? The more people that are on programs like that, the more they argue for them being necessary, and the bigger the government grows. Simply taking money from the government doesn't actually bleed the beast, it could actually be giving the beast the resources it needs to survive. The government can print money, it can grow the debt, it doesn't actually need our taxes - what it needs is political capital, and it gets that by being able to point to programs and say "look at how many people are participating, food stamps are working", when in reality all food stamps are doing is making it so that Walmart doesn't have to pay people a living wage.

Even though I am a comparable newb i thought i at least heard of most well known guns out there. i dont think I have ever heard of the ravens until this thread. So at least this thread taught me anouther gun to run away from if i see it for sale...

you're missing out.

I wouldn't trust one as my daily carry gun. But my raven has a couple thousand rounds through it, mainly without issue. (replaced a pin and a spring). It's one of the few $50 guns you can find.

The older ones with the rotary safety seem to be slightly better than the newer ones (so I've been told)

This is something that I wonder about though. Is taking government resources really bleeding the beast? If someone qualifies for foodstamps or whatever they call them these days, should they take them? The more people that are on programs like that, the more they argue for them being necessary, and the bigger the government grows. Simply taking money from the government doesn't actually bleed the beast, it could actually be giving the beast the resources it needs to survive. The government can print money, it can grow the debt, it doesn't actually need our taxes - what it needs is political capital, and it gets that by being able to point to programs and say "look at how many people are participating, food stamps are working", when in reality all food stamps are doing is making it so that Walmart doesn't have to pay people a living wage.

Joshk - thats an excellent point and an angle I had not considered. Thank you.

Joet - re cheap guns. I briefly owned a hi point .40. (I only paid $70 for it with a holser) I wanted to hate that gun. But it actually shot very very well. I sold it because it was too rough even for a beater gun. And it was also about 2x as heavy as a similar glock. But for the money, I can not think of a more functional gun.

Last edited:
I think you know me better than that.

But now 20 SKSes don't exist. And who knows how many other people did the same thing? I know that a lot of these sort of rifles were made, but the supply is not infinite.

Ruger and S&W among others have a backlog. On the new guns being brought into existence front we are winning. On the nostalgia front, you have me there if the police destroyed the SKS's, but I'll bet they didn't.

And SKS's now are $300+. I don't see how 20+ serviceable rifles, milsurps at that, are worth 1 AR and a bicycle. . Eugh.

As much as I don't really like what dcmdon did, the real reason SKSes aren't available has nothing to do with people who dumped them at buybacks to make money, and everything to do with the fact that people who buy SKSes and Mosins, 95% of the time, don't bother selling them because they're below the nuisance threshold to be bothered to go put them up for sale somewhere. People tend to hold onto the things once purchased. These guns don't flow back into the market readily. It's not like they have $500 or $1000 tied up in the typical Mosin or SKS. So nobody thinks about getting rid of them because they're thinking "I'm gonna go through all that trouble to get what... the $89 I paid for it? Maybe half if I'm lucky. "

-Mike

Last edited:
Frankly, they're going to get their press and anti-gun agenda furthered by the media no matter what you do. You may as well make some coin and beat them at their own game.

Not a damn thing.

The buy backs will never stop and will always be used to further the anti-agenda. The more we do stuff like this, the more we undermine them at their own game. More Alinsky tactics, if you ask me.

Stories like this make me giggle, provided the gun isn't a piece of history.

Thank you. When the Arlington PD did a buy back this summer, one of the guns they got back was a gorgeous engraved S&W .38 revolver with ivory grips. If my turning in 20 SKS meant that they ran out of money before someone turned in something like that, then good was done.

People seem to focus on the fact that the number of firearms are finite. (which I disagree with, but thats not my point here). The funds are also finite. They are usually donated by some company or groups. And when the gift cards run out, people stop bringing their guns.

You guys seem to have missed one of reason that SKS prices have gone up. The 1989 ban by George Bush on the import of "assault weapons".

Last edited:
Gun Buyback analogy.

"The Raven Dilemma"

Once upon a forum leery, of my whining, weak and teary,
On a thread about supporting, anti-gunners at their store.
While I hoped to argue reason, my ideas were labeled treason.
Yet I only wanted profit, monetary profit nothing more.
So after pages, heated pages, on the verge of a flame war,
Should I stand for rights hard fought for? Or sell the Raven and be a whore?

"This post has been Quietly approved"

"The Raven Dilemma"

You did a Poe job of hiding Quiets screen name.

Marty Walsh and his friends! They'll give you $200 for your $50 gun and (get this) crush it!

Once unto a Marty Deary, I sold a gun both weak and weary
I bring the weapon tapping, rapping, to his door
Opend bag crackling, a gun for tapping, rapping
They ask me if I have brought them more
I tell them "this and nothing more"
Shot the Raven Never, never more.

"The Raven Dilemma"

You did a Poe job of hiding Quiets screen name.
I lay my pen down upon my desk and nod my head in respect of the attempt.

Got rid of two Jennings .22's that wouldn't feed well enough to carry, and an old HR .38 short ejector breakopen that revolved out of time. $600 in Visa Gift cards. Be prepared to wait over an hour, as it seems only one person runs between the different locations. I went to Brighton.

No long guns or antiques. Supposedly to be in working condition. I put them each in a clear plastic Ziploc bag, and carried them in a backpack.

Back
Top Bottom