• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought my first gun today! GP100

I had been wanting to get my first gun and I did just that today. I wanted to get something that would take a little time to master and would allow me to work at just getting familiar and proficient with gun handling. The simplicity of a revolver, mixed with double-action, the ability to shoot 38 special and 357 mag, all while at the same time able to be used as a range gun and one for the nightstand, led me to really like the Ruger GP100 line. Through recommendations on the forum I placed an add and in 4 days I was able to go to my first gun show and buy a gun on the same day. [smile] While I intended on getting the stainless 3" GP - the 4" was just more practical for me. As a novice the adjustable sites and slightly longer barrel make more sense. As such I had a great NES face to face purchase today. I purchased an essentially LNIB in GP100 (in original box with all accessories), both original with wood and hogue grips, and a box of carry 357 ammo. In all it was a very good first purchase and I'm glad I did it. I was a little nervous about doing the face to face, but not nearly as much as my wife. Of course the transaction went as smooth as you could ask it to. And after seeing the prices at the show today, I can see that better deals can be had when you avoid dealer mark-ups. Many thanks to NES. Now I need to join a club! [grin]

IMG_1144.jpg

Last edited:
Good job. I have the GP100 4" stainless model as well. I don't shoot it much lately, but I love that gun. I love Ruger actually. It's not obvious, is it? [wink]

There are many good clubs in your area. Good luck and enjoy it.

That is an awesome first gun purchase! You can buy the competition spring kit if it is only for range use. I don't recommend changing out the hammer spring if you are using it for defense however.

I have the precursor to that revolver, the Security Six, and put some lighter springs in it for competition.

Good luck. A GP100 was my first center fire revolver back in 1986. Still a great gun, one of my favorites. nHope you get as many years out of yours as I have gotten from mine.

great choice! a buddy of mine has one and its awesome. i'm not really a revolver guy but that's my top choice along with a SW 686.

Wheel guns are awesome. Sometimes the blah blah blah about what semi auto is best and what will feed reliably, can wear you out. Wheel guns work. And are beautiful.

Sent from my SCH-I535

What's not to love about a Ruger?

RugerGP100_withammo.jpg

Nice job! 357 is my all around favorite round. But I prefer S&W revolvers [wink]. Buy a S&W 686 next! [smile]. If you really end up shooting 357 regularly, you will want to start reloading. Congrats, enjoy and be safe!

Nice choice, My first handgun was a 1986 6" blued GP100. I put a set of Wilson Combat springs, new style rubber grips, it is a real pleasure to shoot. Its my go to gun ready rock for home defense, too big to carry but still one hell of a great gun. Rough Country sights are on the wish list...

Congrats! Sweet revolver. Now, aren't you glad you joined NES? [laugh]

I think a 4" revolver is a great first handgun. Master that trigger and you will be a better shooter.

Shoot often and shoot safe

Good for you! I bought the same gun, as I wanted a "range tank" as I put it, that would serve well for both target and PD in the house. Love that revolver.

Good job. I have the GP100 4" stainless model as well. I don't shoot it much lately, but I love that gun. I love Ruger actually. It's not obvious, is it? [wink]

There are many good clubs in your area. Good luck and enjoy it.
Thanks and yeah, I love your avatar. As for clubs, I'm actively working on joining HSA (Hopkinton).

Excellent choice...I think you made a good decision. The versatility of this gun will allow you to really master the fundamentals of marksmanship plus Rugers are built to last. I am a big S&W fan but you can never go wrong with a Ruger!

Back
Top Bottom