Boy, 12, killed by gun being cleaned by dad

Chuck

NES Member
Surprised this isn't posted yet, didn't see it...

It's always the guns you "know" are empty that end up killing someone.

Rusty weapon goes off, striking child in head

HOMER, Mich. - Police said Thursday that a 12-year-old Michigan boy was shot and killed when a gun being cleaned by his father went off.

Police said Ian Dunn died Tuesday afternoon at the home about 90 miles west of Detroit. Police were investigating the shooting, but said that it appeared to be accidental.

Police Chief Steven Fisher told WWMT-TV that the father, 41-year-old Kevin Dunn, was cleaning the rusty gun.

When are people going to start following the very basic safety rules?!
My husband's unckle killed his own son exactly the same way.

facepalm.jpg

+3, you need to either lock the slide or open the cylinder to clean it, how is it possible to clean a loaded gun? And who was putting live rounds in a rusty gun?

Maybe he was preparing to clean the gun, thinking that it is unloaded and failing pointing it to a safe direction. And about rusty guns... Well, during our vacation in Nicaragua Hubby and me visited his cousen, who lives in a remote area. The lady mentioned she has a gun, and of course I aksed if I can see ie. She told her daughter to bring the gun in. The girl left and soon appeared with a 0.38 S&W, which she tried to handle to me while the barrel was pointing toward me. The gun was fully loaded. My husband immediately grabbed it and tried to remove the drum. He couldn't do so, as the revolver was so extremely rusty. We told the lady that this gun is likely to explode in her hand if she tries to use it, and she answered:
-Don't you worry, I just tried it recently, and it fired fine!

Really, I am amazed by how ignorant people can be.

I can't even imagine picking up a gun I JUST PUT DOWN and not dropping the mag and checking the chamber, let alone a gun that has been sitting in my safe for so long it got rusty. Good lord.

When I hear of the "gun going off during cleaning" I always wonder if it wasn't out and out murder. Even a father killing his own son. Nobody ever says it, but I always think this first. I'll bet the investigating officers do too if they understand firearms. We are trained from movies and media that guns can fire themselves. Non-shooters believe this. Call me over suspicious but it makes me wonder what was going on in the family.

Too bad the father wasn't aiming the barrel in a different direction. Asshat.

+1

Sad, but who stores a rusty gun with a round in the chamber, forgets about it, and then PULLS THE TRIGGER instead of checking to see if the gun is empty?

Accident? No, at the very least criminal neglect.

I guess I need to go back to the beginning. "Rusty gun"? Assuming he didn't buy it that way - how exactly does a gun get both "loaded" and "rusty"?? Neglect? Oh......I see.

I can't imagine picking up ANY firearm ANYWHERE and not checking the chamber. Neglect? Oh.....I see.

I guess I need to go back to the beginning. "Rusty gun"? Assuming he didn't buy it that way - how exactly does a gun get both "loaded" and "rusty"?? Neglect? Oh......I see.

I can't imagine picking up ANY firearm ANYWHERE and not checking the chamber. Neglect? Oh.....I see.

Seriously. This is very sad to see. My god, if I ever have kids (and I hope to some day) I certainly would take every precaution to ensure their safety. What a tragedy.

When I hear of the "gun going off during cleaning" I always wonder if it wasn't out and out murder. Even a father killing his own son. Nobody ever says it, but I always think this first. I'll bet the investigating officers do too if they understand firearms. We are trained from movies and media that guns can fire themselves. Non-shooters believe this. Call me over suspicious but it makes me wonder what was going on in the family.

You may not be correct, but you're not wrong for being suspicious. Either gross stupidity or willful conduct are the only things that come to mind when I see these things.

I know someone here has a link to the video of the S&W Mdl 19 that a guy has had a camera on since the late 1990s. He's still waiting for it to "go off" all on it's own.

How the Christ do you clean a loaded gun?

No shit!

Apparently, you start by pulling the trigger to see if it's loaded. [thinking]

We don't know that he did. All we know is that it was a rusty gun and it went off. The unavoidable truth is that the gun wasn't cleared properly and the father is 100% at fault.

I was working on my 1911 a couple of nights ago (replacing grips and such) and my wife comes down to the basement, watches me handle the gun in all kinds of manner and says: "What if the gun goes off". I gave that "WTF?" look and right away she said: "I am sorry. I knew this was a stupid question the instant it came out of my mouth". She has seen me clear a gun before and knows that I check the chamber 2, 3 and sometimes 4 times. Perhaps I am a bit fanatical about that but better safe than sorry.

One thing that struck me during the S&W tour was when the guide mentioned that the first thing the receiving department does when they receive a gun for repair is clear it. It's very common for them to get a firearm in that hasn't been unloaded.

How the Christ do you clean a loaded gun?

how about even making sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction?

I may be a little anal about this, but even when cleaning the AR and the upper is off (and I have already checked it twice and cleared the weapon)
I still keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction..

Back
Top Bottom