Boy, 12, killed by gun being cleaned by dad

I just recently passed my gun safety course and the #1 thing they said was there is no such thing as an accidental shooting during cleaning. Always drop the mag and check the chamber!!! It's so sad to hear stories like this.

how about even making sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction?

I may be a little anal about this, but even when cleaning the AR and the upper is off (and I have already checked it twice and cleared the weapon)
I still keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction..

How true!! Who the hell would point a gun loaded or unloaded at anyone??

My old room-mate had a ND after cleaning a bolt action .22 rifle. He dropped the mag, pulled the bolt, cleaned the gun, reinserted the mag and closed the bolt. When he went to put it back on the wall rack it wouldn't fit because the firing action of the gun was cocked. Soooooo he pulls the trigger to drop the action. BANG, he never verified that the magazine was empty. There was one round left and he chambered it after cleaning. Luckily the only casualty was the wall in our living room. Dumbass[angry]

If the gun was rusty, what was his purpose of cleaning it? He obviously had been neglecting it. My guess is the kid pissed him off so he shot the kid. I hope the father rots in jail.

I can't assume anything, I am just saddened by the loss of a 12 y/o boy and the pain his father and mother are feeling. I swear that stupidity is the number one cause of death in the world.

Years back a friend had a Springfield trapdoor rifle that had been his grandfather's. Apparently it just got packed with a lot of stuff taken from the house and stored for years. By the time my friend uncovered it, it was rusted shut, but appeared to have a round in it (determined by how far down the barrel a rod would go). We probably should have taken it to a smith or something, but, no, we decided we could fix it. We were young and stupid, I think we had just got our FIDs. It did not go off and I don't remember it ever pointing at either of us, but with all the pulling, prying, etc that went on, I would not be surprised if we were not lined up on people in other parts of the house a couple times. Much more careful these days.

Article headline shouldn't read:"Boy, 12, killed by gun being cleaned by dad".

It should read: "Boy, 12, killed by dad's stupidity while playing with a gun".

Proof positive that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce!!

... She has seen me clear a gun before and knows that I check the chamber 2, 3 and sometimes 4 times. Perhaps I am a bit fanatical about that but better safe than sorry.

+1

To put it another way, it's better to be fanatical and safe than complacent and ignorant/unsafe.

And as the other posters have posited, I think this news story/event reeks of fish, and that the father is guilty of pre-med murder. Send him down. End of line.

+3, you need to either lock the slide or open the cylinder to clean it, how is it possible to clean a loaded gun? And who was putting live rounds in a rusty gun?
The article says the gun had been stored for some time. Apparently it was stored loaded and probably rusted while it was stored. How many of us keep a loaded handgun in our safes?

If it was a revolver then it was possible he was attempting to lower a cocked hammer by hand. If it was a pistol then it is possible he was lowering the hammer by pulling the trigger before field-stripping the pistol for cleaning. How many of us have pistols that require the hammer to be lowered for field-stripping which usually requires the trigger to be pulled?

This post is merely an attempt to explain possible mechanisms by which this tragedy could have happened. Regardless of how it actually did happen that does not change the fact that the father screwed up big time in multiple ways (ex. not unloading, not verifying it was unloaded, not pointing in a safe direction, poor handling in general), or it was deliberate.

p.s. The questions above are rhetorical and do not require a response.

Rusty weapon fired by stupid father, striking child in head

HOMER, Mich. - Police said Thursday that a 12-year-old Michigan boy was shot and killed when a gun being played with by his father went off.

Police said Ian Dunn died Tuesday afternoon at the home about 90 miles west of Detroit. Police were investigating the shooting, but said that it appeared to be the result of overwhelming stupidity... and you can't cure stupid.

Police Chief Steven Fisher told WWMT-TV that the father, 41-year-old Kevin Dunn, was playing with the rusty gun.

Fixed the article for you.

I just recently passed my gun safety course and the #1 thing they said was there is no such thing as an accidental shooting during cleaning. Always drop the mag and check the chamber!!! It's so sad to hear stories like this.

Your instructor was 100% correct.

I do stupid things all the time. I stub my toe, bang my head, slam my thumb, etc.

But when I have a gun I muscle up as much alertness as I possibly can to make sure I don't do anything stupid. And I manage to catch myself before I do something stupid with guns, but it takes effort.

But remember, the broader gun rights become, the more often this will happen. Everyone has the right to own guns, but not everyone has the bandwidth to do so safely - even if we try really hard to educate them. It's all cost/benfit ratio, which means there is a cost, despite the overwhelming benefit.

Back
Top Bottom