• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Good morning
Does anyone know if new indoor range is back open? Recvd emails not too long ago about it being closed for maintenance etc. for several days. No emails saying it was back up.
Thx

Good morning
Does anyone know if new indoor range is back open? Recvd emails not too long ago about it being closed for maintenance etc. for several days. No emails saying it was back up.
Thx
I haven't seen anything yet. I hope so, because last weekend was a cluster F*****. Three of the lanes had no working target slides and evidently there were several lessons going on. First time I've had to wait for a lane in some time. Also air quality was pretty poor. I didn' stay long.

I get some news feeds but don’t pay them anything, just to keep track of the enemy. This column was about the high amount of embezzlement and theft of non-profits monies and if it’s even reported and if they prosecute or get monies back. How allot of them don’t want it in news or maybe investors would shy away from donating. Some is older some more recent thefts.

I get some news feeds but don’t pay them anything, just to keep track of the enemy. This column was about the high amount of embezzlement and theft of non-profits monies and if it’s even reported and if they prosecute or get monies back. How allot of them don’t want it in news or maybe investors would shy away from donating. Some is older some more recent thefts.
Do you have a link?
I searched but turned up nothing.

Taking from charity: Employee theft ‘shockingly common’ at nonprofit groups - The Boston Globe

BRP is listed for 2010 without any details.

Major nonprofit losses
More than 1,100 nonprofits told the IRS they suffered a significant, unauthorized diversion of assets - usually theft or embezzlement - in electronic filings processed between 2011 and 2017. The list is incomplete for various reasons. The IRS asks the question on the standard information return, called a 990, but not on versions filled out by most private foundations or smaller organizations. Many organizations still file paper forms. And the IRS requires organizations to report thefts only of $250,000 or more, unless they involve at least 5 percent of the group's income or assets. Where available, we included organizations' verbatim explanations on the forms* (typos and all).

NAME
CITY
STATE
TAX YEAR
REVENUE

BRAINTREE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB INC
BRAINTREE
MA
$390,187
EXPLANATION N/A

Dang, beat me to it. Note that the dollar amount listed is the org revenue for the year, not the total amount of diverted funds.

There were no diverted funds. The report was generated because of a clerical error on the accountants filing. A box was checked that shouldn't have and was not pertinent triggering an inquiry. The inquiry was answered and the matter dismissed.

That's exactly what someone who diverted funds would say. We're watching you, n1heu...

Outer Limits Pro Shop in Holbrook is close too if you're coming from that direction but technically Hunters is the closest I believe. The old location was certainly the closest, I haven't been to the new location.

Outdoor range was closed Saturday and Sunday both times I visited. Wish there were some way to know that the ranges are going to be closed when open hours state otherwise.

Was there Saturday morning at 10am. Figured it was a bit too cold, so I can't blame them for keeping it closed. I left around 10:20. Maybe they opened later?

Was there today (Sunday). Wanted to shoot rimfire outdoors at 10, scheduled RO wasn't there. Waited around until noon, hoping they'd open it for centerfire. No dice. Myself and three other cars were waiting to see if anyone would show up.

Really enjoy the outdoor range, it's a fantastic setup. Just wish there was a better way to know in advance whether I'll be able to shoot or not. I put off other plans both these mornings to go shooting and was only able to shoot on the indoor ranges. I know it's volunteers, but you would hope that at least the weekends would be reliable.

Is there any black powder shoots at Braintree? I’ve heard there are Friday afternoons but have never been due to work.
I’m interested in learning more and every time I’ve been I haven’t seen BP shooters. I’ve been to local gun shows, very sparse BP interest. I even went to the last Sturbridge antique gun show (June 2017) and it was just collectors, not shooters.
I have a Uberti BP revolver but interested in learning more about flintlock or caplock musket/rifles. Like is a hawken rifle’s curved buttstock going to kill my shoulder or what flintlock is worth buying?
If there are any BP shooters at Braintree let me know.
Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
Is there any black powder shoots at Braintree? I’ve heard there are Friday afternoons but have never been due to work.
I’m interested in learning more and every time I’ve been I haven’t seen BP shooters. I’ve been to local gun shows, very sparse BP interest. I even went to the last Sturbridge antique gun show (June 2017) and it was just collectors, not shooters.
I have a Uberti BP revolver but interested in learning more about flintlock or caplock musket/rifles. Like is a hawken rifle curved buttstock going to kill or what flintlock is worth buying?
If there are any BP shooters at Braintree let me know.
Thanks
Scott

Scott, I want to say there is a group of BP shooters there. I believe I heard mention of them at the yearly meeting, but I can't recall exactly as it doesn't interest me. The club's web presence isn't great, but showing up the the clubhouse and looking at bulletin boards and talking to whoever is there might lead to some success. Please don't spew a cloud of smoke on the rifle range while I'm there, I'm a bad enough shot as is. Good luck!

Thanks Matt,
Haha I won’t cloud you out on the rifle range... yet. I don’t have BP long guns. I do enjoy the BP revolver in the indoor range, mad smoke! I love nailing the steels on the outdoor pistol range, people are shocked I can hit targets with it.

I thought I read on braintree’s website under calendar the BP shoot Friday afternoons, I just checked it’s not listed.

Northeastshooters doesn’t have a black powder section either, guess there isn’t any demand.

I’ll ask around next time I’m there. I do need to go to meetings, it’s hard now with newborn at home.

Thanks Matt,
Haha I won’t cloud you out on the rifle range... yet. I don’t have BP long guns. I do enjoy the BP revolver in the indoor range, mad smoke! I love nailing the steels on the outdoor pistol range, people are shocked I can hit targets with it.

I thought I read on braintree’s website under calendar the BP shoot Friday afternoons, I just checked it’s not listed.

Northeastshooters doesn’t have a black powder section either, guess there isn’t any demand.

I’ll ask around next time I’m there. I do need to go to meetings, it’s hard now with newborn at home.

Yeah... The calendar is pretty terrible. I showed up for a CMP shoot that was listed on the calendar only to find out they don't do them during the winter months.
The calendar is incomplete and often wrong.

Don Kusser, VP runs the BP shoots Friday afternoons, Friday evenings (not Winter). Don has had some very serious health issues this past year, so I'm unsure the status of BP currently.

I stopped in at the new clubhouse today and noticed the hand-written sign on the door regarding no shotguns or rifles allowed on the indoor range, immediate termination of membership if caught. I'm guessing there's a hilarious (or not-so-hilarious) back story to this? :D

Back
Top Bottom