Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Disappointing to see that the only response the club has had to the ongoing bump stock ban talks has been to reiterate that they are banned at the range...

BRP doesn't allow full auto without an appointment because there is a concern an inexperienced person could lose control above the berm. Braintree PD also flips out if they hear it without prior notice and the BoD doesn't want to deal with that drama.

Disappointing to see that the only response the club has had to the ongoing bump stock ban talks has been to reiterate that they are banned at the range...

Let's be real, the club is in Braintree, surrounded by condos and mcmansions.

BRP doesn't allow full auto without an appointment because there is a concern an inexperienced person could lose control above the berm. Braintree PD also flips out if they hear it without prior notice and the BoD doesn't want to deal with that drama.

I understand the 'why' behind the prohibition at the range. What I do not understand is the motivation to reiterate that prohibition while taking zero steps to motivate the membership to argue against a ban to their reps that will potentially do a whole lot more than banning bump stocks.

I understand the 'why' behind the prohibition at the range. What I do not understand is the motivation to reiterate that prohibition while taking zero steps to motivate the membership to argue against a ban to their reps that will potentially do a whole lot more than banning bump stocks.

The did not "reiterate" the prohibition. As of the last members meeting and RO meeting bump-fire was still OK as long as the person kept the rounds on the berm. That was as of a week ago today. So this is a new change that even the ROs didn't see coming. I can pretty well guess that the BOD did this to be pre-emptive however.

All said, bump-fire does not add anything to accuracy, only throwing more lead downrange quicker and in most cases at least somewhat out of control.

The did not "reiterate" the prohibition. As of the last members meeting and RO meeting bump-fire was still OK as long as the person kept the rounds on the berm. That was as of a week ago today. So this is a new change that even the ROs didn't see coming. I can pretty well guess that the BOD did this to be pre-emptive however.

All said, bump-fire does not add anything to accuracy, only throwing more lead downrange quicker and in most cases at least somewhat out of control.

Interesting, I had always presumed it was not allowed. That is even more disappointing.

Who do we talk to for a lost badge? Mine is MIA and I know once I get a new one, I’ll find the other one. Surprisingly I still have that temp yellow card.

Who do we talk to for a lost badge? Mine is MIA and I know once I get a new one, I’ll find the other one. Surprisingly I still have that temp yellow card.

Check the website and send an Email, stop by upstairs at the office on Sunday mornings. Those are the two ways I know of to get a replacement badge. The old one will be deactivated when they issue a new one.

Sent two messages through the site for the fastest response and nothing. I’ve searched for an email but came up empty. What time on Sunday does whomever usually stay until? I work overnights and get off at 6am so mornings are tough for me.

Sent two messages through the site for the fastest response and nothing. I’ve searched for an email but came up empty. What time on Sunday does whomever usually stay until? I work overnights and get off at 6am so mornings are tough for me.

I just sent you a PM.

What's the RO situation for 1/1/18? Is there a way to check RO staffing other than calling ?
Stuck in this position its best to become a RO if you can open the range an time you like. Don't know how many days you need to be available as a RO to become one.

Stuck in this position its best to become a RO if you can open the range an time you like. Don't know how many days you need to be available as a RO to become one.
True, but you must stay for the entire shift . . . 3 hrs in Winter and 5 hrs the rest of the year.

There was a RO the other day present but the outdoor was still closed; granted it was a little cold, but still... He was pretty much yelling at everyone about something at the indoor range. Came to check my member badge multiple times it seemed. Also, I'll double check the rule book but I would swear he was making up some new rules too. Honestly, made me not want to shoot anymore that day, after the second time I packed up and left.

Last edited:
There was an RO OUT there today. Hella cold, so props.
A different RO mentioned a new modification to the guest policy to ONLY include immediate family/spouse?

A different RO mentioned a new modification to the guest policy to ONLY include immediate family/spouse?

From the site:

XI. GUEST POLICY
1. Each member is allowed one (1) shooting guest per month. Exceptions can be made with prior permission of the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board.

2. The member must directly supervise and coach the guest at all times. No exceptions!

3. No member is allowed to let more than one guest shoot at a time.

4. A member and their guest are allowed use of one (1) shooting station only.

5. Members are responsible for the actions of their guest. If the guest violates any club rule, the member will be held responsible.

6. Arrangements can be made for special groups with the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board. A member's spouse and children under the age of 18 can come anytime, with the member.

When I was there the other day, the RO stated that I MUST be behind the yellow line while my guest is shooting. Usually, if I am with someone "newer" to shooting, I will be right next to them coaching them. This was not the case, however wouldn't the RO's "rule" break rule #2 from BRPC's rule book? If I'm behind the yellow line I cannot directly supervise...

RO's tend to not read or remember the rule book, and make shite up as they go. Just yes sir them and carry on. Some are are just being curmudgeons / range nazi's.
Definitely been seeing that more and more at BRP.

For a club that has almost 7000 members I think they do a pretty good job of keeping some of the range nuts under control.Like any other gun range out there,you always have some RO that lets the power go to his head.

Hello all

I'm a fairly new member at the club. Is there any time that shooting prone(or sitting) on the 100yd outdoor range is allowed?

I know (and have attended) the CMP shoots there, but would like to be able to practice using my .22 at my own pace. It's much cheaper and practical than shooting .30-06 or .223 as I'm not very experienced and getting on paper at 100yds reliably is still a struggle for me. 50yds prone with the .22 would be a perfect setup to improve my shooting.

Has there been any history or interest of this at the club in the past? Maybe certain days/times could be set aside for this now? Thoughts from long time members are much appreciated!

Matt, welcome to NES and BR&P. you can practice prone anytime you want, however you must be behind the red line not in the area forward that is used for CMP matches.

Back
Top Bottom