• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

I stopped in at the new clubhouse today and noticed the hand-written sign on the door regarding no shotguns or rifles allowed on the indoor range, immediate termination of membership if caught. I'm guessing there's a hilarious (or not-so-hilarious) back story to this? :D
Not even 22? It is bad enough that pcc aren't allowed, 22 definitely should be

Outdoor range was closed Saturday and Sunday both times I visited. Wish there were some way to know that the ranges are going to be closed when open hours state otherwise.

Was there Saturday morning at 10am. Figured it was a bit too cold, so I can't blame them for keeping it closed. I left around 10:20. Maybe they opened later?

Was there today (Sunday). Wanted to shoot rimfire outdoors at 10, scheduled RO wasn't there. Waited around until noon, hoping they'd open it for centerfire. No dice. Myself and three other cars were waiting to see if anyone would show up.

Really enjoy the outdoor range, it's a fantastic setup. Just wish there was a better way to know in advance whether I'll be able to shoot or not. I put off other plans both these mornings to go shooting and was only able to shoot on the indoor ranges. I know it's volunteers, but you would hope that at least the weekends would be reliable.
I'd be looking for another club.

I stopped in at the new clubhouse today and noticed the hand-written sign on the door regarding no shotguns or rifles allowed on the indoor range, immediate termination of membership if caught. I'm guessing there's a hilarious (or not-so-hilarious) back story to this? :D
NOT hilarious at all. People have been caught doing both! Really sad that people are that stupid. [Note: .22LR is always allowed on all ranges.]

Maybe it was just someone with a PCC who didn’t bother to read the (silly) rules.

Silly rules??

Backstops that take hits from 12 ga shotguns, .223, etc. need a lot more maintenance than from pistol rounds. Do you want to see a range that is NOT rated for shotgun/CF rifle damaged and down for repairs every other day? Then you'd be complaining that you went there and the range was shut down continually for repairs. Even 9mm out of a rifle attains more velocity and will abuse a backstop not rated for it.

I'd be looking for another club.

Or you could donate some time as a range officer, show up every week or month to do that duty and ensure everyone can use the range. It does seem that a fair number of ROs are older gentlemen who are encountering health issues and thus can't make it all the time.

Silly rules??

Backstops that take hits from 12 ga shotguns, .223, etc. need a lot more maintenance than from pistol rounds. Do you want to see a range that is NOT rated for shotgun/CF rifle damaged and down for repairs every other day? Then you'd be complaining that you went there and the range was shut down continually for repairs. Even 9mm out of a rifle attains more velocity and will abuse a backstop not rated for it.

Or you could donate some time as a range officer, show up every week or month to do that duty and ensure everyone can use the range. It does seem that a fair number of ROs are older gentlemen who are encountering health issues and thus can't make it all the time.

Sorry - the "silly" was only with regard to not being able to shoot pistol caliber carbines indoors, but it was at least partially motivated by the fact that I have PCCs but nowhere to shoot them at a time that's convenient (which is admittedly my problem, not anyone else's). I think we went through this a few pages back, and the reason for no PCCs indoors seemed to have more to do with people's inability to understand simple rules and directions than it did with backstop damage.

Has the club ever considered paying ROs, even if it's minimum wage?

I assume there is a still an exception for .22lr rifles correct?

Edit just read Len’s post, they are.

Sorry - the "silly" was only with regard to not being able to shoot pistol caliber carbines indoors, but it was at least partially motivated by the fact that I have PCCs but nowhere to shoot them at a time that's convenient (which is admittedly my problem, not anyone else's). I think we went through this a few pages back, and the reason for no PCCs indoors seemed to have more to do with people's inability to understand simple rules and directions than it did with backstop damage.

Has the club ever considered paying ROs, even if it's minimum wage?

I could just see if we were to allow 9mm to be used in a PCC (NEVER going to happen, but let's pretend) . . . I guarantee you that some would shoot ARs (.223) indoors saying "well if 9mm is OK, .223 is smaller, so that's OK too"!! You can't fix stupid and even though every member is forced to go thru the rulebook and take a quiz in order to join, many still "don't get it".

For the record, I also have a 9mm PCC (original Ruger PC-9) and would never consider shooting it in an indoor range.

Thanks but I donate plenty of time at my club. An email or calendar update regarding range status is not a difficult thing to do. Not sure why it appears to be at Braintree.

I could just see if we were to allow 9mm to be used in a PCC (NEVER going to happen, but let's pretend) . . . I guarantee you that some would shoot ARs (.223) indoors saying "well if 9mm is OK, .223 is smaller, so that's OK too"!! You can't fix stupid and even though every member is forced to go thru the rulebook and take a quiz in order to join, many still "don't get it".

For the record, I also have a 9mm PCC (original Ruger PC-9) and would never consider shooting it in an indoor range.

People are dumb. No argument from me there.

Why would you never consider shooting your Ruger indoors? For me it's mostly a time/availability issue - it would be awesome if I could show up with one of my PCCs and know that I could shoot somewhere, regardless of time or RO presence.

Thanks but I donate plenty of time at my club. An email or calendar update regarding range status is not a difficult thing to do. Not sure why it appears to be at Braintree.
There are only one or two people with access to the website and membership list/list server. There are 2-4 shifts/day x 7 days a week, there is no "manager" present. We are asked to notify the CRO if we won't be there, but the urgency could come up with only an hour or two notice or some may not show up with no notice.

Notices to 7000 members under these circumstances just isn't realistic, and very few I'm sure even look at the website (I know that I almost never go there).

--------------------

And the PC-9 should be shot on the rifle range not pistol ranges, usually at 50 yds or more.

I can't remember, so does anyone know if membership dues tax deductible since the club is a 501c(3)?
As much as I thought it was 501c(3), I now think I was wrong and it is another c(x) and not tax deductible. I don't know if the 990 form specifies what category a non-profit falls under.

[Start rant]

So what's up with this range? Twice this week I went down during the late lunch hours, and the outdoor rifle range is closed. I realize the range officers are volunteers and I appreciate that, but WTF? It takes a lot of time out of my day to go there only to find it's closed; what a complete waste of time. This has happened many many many times.

Then there is the clay shotgun range. I wanted to pattern a shotgun there, but NOPE! Apparently it's not safe to shoot on a paper target, into the ground, but it's somehow more safe to shoot at a clay into the air. It's ONLY allowed to pattern shotguns at the rifle range, but the stinking rifle range is CLOSED!

What a complete joke this club has turned into. I will not be renewing my membership next year.

[End rant]

[Start rant]

So what's up with this range? Twice this week I went down during the late lunch hours, and the outdoor rifle range is closed. I realize the range officers are volunteers and I appreciate that, but WTF? It takes a lot of time out of my day to go there only to find it's closed; what a complete waste of time. This has happened many many many times.

Then there is the clay shotgun range. I wanted to pattern a shotgun there, but NOPE! Apparently it's not safe to shoot on a paper target, into the ground, but it's somehow more safe to shoot at a clay into the air. It's ONLY allowed to pattern shotguns at the rifle range, but the stinking rifle range is CLOSED!

What a complete joke this club has turned into. I will not be renewing my membership next year.

[End rant]
There have been a number of ROs with serious health problems this year. It's the much older crowd who volunteer to do it 52x/year during weekdays, so this is bound to happen. Sorry that they didn't call you in advance to let you know of their problems. Hope you find a place more suitable to your liking. Bitching is easy, not so easy is for someone to volunteer their time year round to make things happen.

So what's up with the members of this so-called club? For two straight months now, I have been volunteering as a midweek range officer for the outdoor range during the middle of the morning, and no one has shown up to shoot. WTF? It takes a lot of time out of my day to come out and stand there waiting, in the cold, for a whole shift! What a complete waste of my time! They should post on the club's website to let me know they were not planning to come.

The membership of this club have turned into a complete joke. Some of them should just stop renewing. [/sarcasm]

So what's up with the members of this so-called club? For two straight months now, I have been volunteering as a midweek range officer for the outdoor range during the middle of the morning, and no one has shown up to shoot. WTF? It takes a lot of time out of my day to come out and stand there waiting, in the cold, for a whole shift! What a complete waste of my time! They should post on the club's website to let me know they were not planning to come.

The membership of this club have turned into a complete joke. Some of them should just stop renewing. [/sarcasm]

If it makes you feel better, I’ll take a day off from work every couple of weeks when you’re the RO.

Relax!
For $125 a year, and just $25 fir spouse it’s still a good deal. Indoor ranges always open for handguns if outdoor closed. Just bring both with you. Not a big deal to me. Often I’m the only one in indoor range. I like it that way.

Relax!
For $125 a year, and just $25 fir spouse it’s still a good deal. Indoor ranges always open for handguns if outdoor closed. Just bring both with you. Not a big deal to me. Often I’m the only one in indoor range. I like it that way.

One of the things I miss so much... 24/7 indoor range with no one else in sight

Why do club members who are grown men and women need to be babysat by old members with failing health in the first place?
Two reasons:
- Some don't know enough to act like grown men and women and are clueless about range safety.
- And some trespassers have shot up a couple of buildings downrange of the club, we got the blame and ROs are CYA so we can definitely say it wasn't our members the next time it happens. It's happened more than a few times now in my 19 years as a member and you can be sure that it will happen again.

It's very simple, go to a meeting suggest that they raise due's to pay for a full time RO. With the amount of members they would not have to raise the due's that much to cover it.I remember years ago the old timer that lived over the old pistol range.

I'm kind of surprised that the club hasn't purchased a parking lot attendant booth (secure prefab structure) with heat & AC so that the RSOs don't have to retreat to the club house when the weather gets to them too much. Would be a good location to keep an emergency call phone and trauma kit.

In really old aerial photos it looks like there was clubhouse (even older than the old clubhouse) next to the current outdoor rifle and pistol ranges.

punch in these coordinates & set the date to 1957:
42.192081, -70.982988
NETRonline: Historic Aerials - Viewer

Last edited:
Why do club members who are grown men and women need to be babysat by old members with failing health in the first place?

as len said, grown men & women doesn't necessarily mean mature, responsible adults. at my club the exec. committee has worked very hard to insure the continued ops of the club. concerned members have put in countless hours to execute the proper safety plans in place.

yet even with all the steps taken, the damage is evident from people who are either 1)negligent, 2)total a**holes or 3) shouldn't be shooting a firearm

I'm trolling now, but it seems a few video cameras and an improved backstop would go a long way at your club.

The club I belong to has over 3000 members and yet no need for a babysitter.

Seems to me that people are suggesting that the club members are idiots who are unsafe and shouldn't own guns. Great message to push.

I thought the idea was to get as many guns into the most hands possible and be able to become proficient in their safety and operation by practicing.

I'm trolling now, but it seems a few video cameras and an improved backstop would go a long way at your club.

The club I belong to has over 3000 members and yet no need for a babysitter.

Seems to me that people are suggesting that the club members are idiots who are unsafe and shouldn't own guns. Great message to push.

I thought the idea was to get as many guns into the most hands possible and be able to become proficient in their safety and operation by practicing.
They are finalizing bids on a camera system. We have baffles to prevent anything fired from within the ranges going over the berms, however that won't stop the club from getting the "blame" anytime someone finds a round within a mile of the club. In the cases I refer to above, a 2nd story window was shot out, the sides of buildings were hit well over 6' from ground level and our firing line is 660 yds away from said buildings so you know that isn't possible (for a .45 slug). Doesn't matter. Gun club = guilty.

NRA range experts wrote an evaluation of our ranges and a copy was given to the PD (big mistake in my mind), their first point was that you shouldn't allow any shooting without ROs present, so here we are.

Too many are going to certificate mills, getting cheap training (Groupons) and no substantial amount of gun handling before getting a LTC, gun and joining the club. It shows when guns are pointed at people on the range, put down pointed sideways, etc. Some new folks have even admitted that they don't know how to load their guns. Not so bad if these folks sought out further training, but most don't and won't.

Back
Top Bottom