Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

The following is posted per request of the president of Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club. The following info was explained in detail at the Annual Meeting on Sunday for those assembled (~325-350 were present) and the vote taken.

One thing to keep in mind is that BR&P runs as a fiscally sound professional org unlike every other gun club that I'm familiar with which are run like volunteer clubs without the vision towards future expenditures vs. income. I walked into our meeting thinking that 25% increase seemed high . . . until I heard the underlying numbers driving that decision. Eric also responded that the last dues increase to $100 (from $90 IIRC) was ~2004.

In addition to the above (and discussed at the meeting) they are investigating replacing the backstop in the "new" range and the numbers they are being given go from $100K to >$400K just for that project. It is not currently budgeted as they will continue investigating systems and eventually make a recommendation to the E-BOD and then the membership at a meeting prior to authorizing any work.

I was at the meeting, and I was undecided about the increase when I attended, leaning towards either a no or just not voting. After hearing the president speak, I voted yes on the increase. Better to start building a reserve now for when things get tighter in the future. I heard other club members voicing disgruntlement with the increase.

The two main complaints I heard were these:

1. Other clubs have fewer members than Braintree, so Braintree doesn't need to have dues that are as high.

I think there are two problems with this argument. First, I think one of the reasons that Braintree has such a high membership is due to the requirement that some towns had for club membership prior to LTC issuance. This has been struck down in court, so I would not be surprised if membership drops off somewhat due to that. Second, BRP is in the middle of a heavily suburbanized area. Many other clubs have more rural surroundings, and less danger from that avenue. Given what I heard about how the trap range is being used, which was shocking, this is a real problem.

2. I heard someone else complaining that things cost so much because contracts weren't being put out to bid and people were receiving kickbacks.

I have no way of knowing why this person thought this. I haven't attended many members meetings, but from the ones I have it seems that BRP officials are pretty careful about how money is spent. I am somewhat suspicious that these people may just not be familiar with how much things cost now. There has been a huge inflation in prices of all sorts of things in the past 10 - 15 - 20 years, and if someone is not aware of that, they may be in for a shock when they need to do major repairs to their own home.

I have to be honest. With the trouble of finding a RO to babysit me on the range along with the increase in dues I will finally terminate my off/on relationship with BRP.

I don't mind driving further for a club suited to my liking. I have noticed that some of the more senior members have been alittle more grumpy than usual and it just occurred to me that they don't even pay dues anymore.

To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following is posted per request of the president of Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club. The following info was explained in detail at the Annual Meeting on Sunday for those assembled (~325-350 were present) and the vote taken.

One thing to keep in mind is that BR&P runs as a fiscally sound professional org unlike every other gun club that I'm familiar with which are run like volunteer clubs without the vision towards future expenditures vs. income. I walked into our meeting thinking that 25% increase seemed high . . . until I heard the underlying numbers driving that decision. Eric also responded that the last dues increase to $100 (from $90 IIRC) was ~2004.

In addition to the above (and discussed at the meeting) they are investigating replacing the backstop in the "new" range and the numbers they are being given go from $100K to >$400K just for that project. It is not currently budgeted as they will continue investigating systems and eventually make a recommendation to the E-BOD and then the membership at a meeting prior to authorizing any work.

Knowing this, I can see the need for the increase. Too bad I had to read it here instead of in my club newsletter which basically said " hey we raised the dues, pay up or take off" Poor communication like this to the membership makes no sense. Just because I couldn't make the meeting doesn't mean I don't care or don't deserve to know the reasons behind the decision.

Knowing this, I can see the need for the increase. Too bad I had to read it here instead of in my club newsletter which basically said " hey we raised the dues, pay up or take off" Poor communication like this to the membership makes no sense. Just because I couldn't make the meeting doesn't mean I don't care or don't deserve to know the reasons behind the decision.

I can't disagree with you on this.

I couldnt make the meeting but as stated before I will pay the increase...I don't know what other clubs cost but I am fine with $125 a year. thanks for posting Len

I couldnt make the meeting but as stated before I will pay the increase...I don't know what other clubs cost but I am fine with $125 a year. thanks for posting Len

Eric rattled thru the initiation fees and annual dues fees for >12 clubs during his presentation. All seemed to be higher than BR&P for new members and few were still $100/yr after that. None spend the kind of money that BR&P does every year in capital improvements and only a handful in the state have HEPA systems (very expensive when legally and properly maintained) on their ranges.

Well, yes of course. I guess I could have specified how often a RO is present mid-days during a weekday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If the assigned ROs show up they are open. No way to predict but most guys are pretty good about being there when they are supposed to be. Life sometimes happens and holidays do have some impact as well.

A couple points. All work over a few dollars (more than 10's) is put out to bid. The E-Board maintains a list of members that are contractors that are first notified for requests for bids. If we get several bids from members we take the lowest reasonable bid. If we need to look outside the club we do. We also take suggestions from member/contractors to change the scope or procedure of work if the bid can be improved upon. Members that bid almost always get preference for work awarded, even if their bid is a little higher. If you are a member and want to be on that list, notify the club.
The range work being contemplated is on the order of $100-700k in just the newer range. Other work is being investigated also, including AC on both ranges.
The amount of damage to the club in any given week is truly astounding. Adding to that fact is many members disregard club rules regarding guests. Usage of the club has risen dramatically, driving the cost of running it dramatically.
All other fees were kept held to current levels. $75 initiation and $25 spouse/junior. Considering we get nearly zero volunteers for any work and must pay for virtually all work done, holding the dues to $100 just was not possible if the health of the club is considered.
The use of the club by instructors has also risen dramatically. The E-Board is investigating procedures and strategies to reconcile this with heavy member usage. Several instructors this year have been evicted from the club for violating club rules regarding safety and range usage. The E-Board will be investigating how to bring a sense of order, discipline and assured quality to training conducted at the club.
Comments are welcome. Questions and comments are welcome at any monthly member meeting or privately to any E-Board member if you wish to remain anonymous. And thank you Len for you continued support at this forum.

Last edited:
A couple points. All work over a few dollars (more than 10's) is put out to bid. The E-Board maintains a list of members that are contractors that are first notified for requests for bids. If we get several bids from members we take the lowest reasonable bid. If we need to look outside the club we do. We also take suggestions from member/contractors to change the scope or procedure of work if the bid can be improved upon. Members that bid almost always get preference for work awarded, even if their bid is a little higher. If you are a member and want to be on that list, notify the club.

Thanks for the clarification on how bidding works. It's disappointing that people can't be more responsible.

A clarification on the guest policy. Senior members are allowed one (1) guest per one (1) month period.
If your spouse gets a spouse membership they can come to the club every time you do or even without you the same as any other member. That is $25/year and they get a key card. If you have kids they can become junior members. They must always be supervised while shooting, therefore the rule regarding guests is similar in that only one position may be taken by the senior and junior member (the senior is supposed to be behind the junior supervising). However there is no limitation on the number of times a junior may come to the club per month. They may come with you, your card holding spouse or any other senior member. That is also $25/year. They do not get a key card but get a junior membership card.

Last edited:
As the CRO has explained to us (RSOs) . . . any member of the household can come with a Senior Member an unlimited number of times each month, however only one shooting position can be used by the group (so only 1 person shooting at a time).

A clarification on the guest policy. Senior members are allowed one (1) guest per one (1) month period.
If your spouse gets a spouse membership they can come to the club every time you do or even without you the same as any other member. That is $25/year and they get a key card. If you have kids they can become junior members. They must always be supervised while shooting, therefore the rule regarding guests is similar in that only one position may be taken by the senior and junior member (the senior is supposed to be behind the junior supervising). However there is no limitation on the number of times a junior may come to the club per month. They may come with you, your card holding spouse or any other senior member. That is also $25/year. They do not get a key card but get a junior membership card.

I really like the club and have no problem with the price increase as it is close and convenient for me to use.

to clarify a bit further though... A member's spouse and children under the age of 18 can come anytime, with the member

Spouses still have to take New Member Orientation correct?

Yes, but they don't charge the initiation fee for spouse members. Found this out when my Wife came back and asked me to write another check for less money than the one I gave her.

I know that the minimum indoor range distance is 33 feet but does anyone know how far the maximum distance is? I'm wondering for either of the indoor ranges. I can't find an answer online.

Thanks in advance!

NOT according to the president!

NRA REQUIRES instructors to start off students at a much closer distance than 33'. Our CSRO has told me (instructor) that indeed I can bring it in closer. However, the president has said otherwise. Situation still needs to be resolved, but it hasn't been real high on my priority list as I usually don't teach NRA BP or HFS and I choose not to teach at all at BR&P, making it currently a non-issue for me.

I'm looking to try skeet or trap shooting but have never gone, don't know anyone who does it, and am a total newbie. I know some people go Sundays, but with the cold weather and probably a next to nil turn out, I am hoping to coordinate with someone, or a few people, to meet up and let me try some guns and see if I like it. Time and ammo will be paid for either in cash, food, or shooting any of my equipment. Anyone interested in meeting a younger guy interested in a new sport, feel free to send me a message. Hoping to meet some more people!

The Trap Committee meets on Sundays at 12Noon at the club trap field. They should be friendly and assist a new trap shooter, so give it a try. There is a fee/round of 25 birds. It's open to the public.

I've been a member of BR&P for 17 years and never shot trap there. Sad really as I used to shoot both skeet and trap at my first gun club every Sunday and really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom