• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

Is this the range that requires a range officer to be present to shot at any of the ranges?

The outdoor pistol and rifle ranges require an RO during hours of operation. It's to help prevent rounds from leaving the range, shotguns (not including slugs) from being used on target stands which destroy them, and to make sure ceasefire procedures are managed safely. There's a ton of members (most don't shoot there, but need it to be eligible for an LTC in Boston) and you have a wide range of skill levels. The indoor ranges (pistol and rimfire rifle) do not require an RO to be present and neither does the shotgun range and archery range.

If you ever want to check out the facility, I'd be happy to show you around as my guest.

Thanks to everyone for the help re: the juniors program. Met Mike last Friday and let me watch a class. Looked like it was the first class for this particular group.

There was a range master at the old range last night, but he just kind of cruised on through. Nice gentleman. They are not required to be there to shoot on the indoor ranges, as previously noted. I was fighting my snub nosed Security Six at 33 feet. Probably wouldn't have mattered to a better shot!

Signed up for the New Members Orientation in July. Really excited to have a place to shoot. Kinda far for me in Plymouth, but the girl works in Quincy (soon to be Malden) so its more for her convenience. Hopefully my LTC gets here first so I can get right out there.

The other day I walked into the older indoor range, two people were shooting in the dark! Watched a little bit, the "girlfriend" was flinching every time she let off a round. Then the guy was holding the pistol single handed and sideways! I was frightened for my life and couldn't find a range officer or see their badge number and they didn't sign the log book. Whomever you are, please don't do this again!

Turn the light on for them next time and politely let them know that you're concerned for their safety. If they give you any static, just walk away as you check their badge number(s) and let a RSO know what happened next time you're there. That kind of crap doesn't need to be happening and you should never feel unsafe at your own club.

The other day I walked into the older indoor range, two people were shooting in the dark! Watched a little bit, the "girlfriend" was flinching every time she let off a round. Then the guy was holding the pistol single handed and sideways! I was frightened for my life and couldn't find a range officer or see their badge number and they didn't sign the log book. Whomever you are, please don't do this again!

Just flip on the light or let them politely know that they should turn it on for their own safety. Every member is their own range officer and can remind other members of the rules as long as it's done in a courteous way. If the guy has his girlfriend with him, you probably don't want to tell him that he's a completely incapable moron unless it's something that is an immediate danger to himself or others. (ex. walking down a live range, muzzle sweeping the line, etc).

The range lights are always turned off (or supposed to be) every time someone leaves the range to save energy. He probably walked past the switches without realizing. What time was this? You could also email Joe Norman and let him know what time it was and he may be able to find out who it was.

If the lights were out,I bet you they did not even turned the fan on. Well if you think that is bad, years ago someone shot the payphone.

When I was a kid in Dorchester, we used to drink a few beers in one of the parks and kept quiet. If the cops came, it was "yes, officer". We cleaned our shit up. And by and large we were left alone and had a nice spot. Then, these younger fellows started hanging around there, drugging, fighting, being loud, and leaving a huge mess. Sure enough, the hideaway was shut down. That's what this kind of shit reminds me of.

25 & 50 yds for the middle pistol range. 9 & 15 yd for the "short" pistol range. Plinking is 50 yds and .22RF (or BB/pellet) only and allows shooting at cans, plastic bottles.

Is anyone here joining the pistol league which starts Wednesday? Also, does anyone know what caliber pistol to bring, how much ammo and if scopes are allowed? Thanks.

Some important info for both members and CMP match shooters:

--------------------

CMP Match Date Change:

CMP (open to the public) usually held on Saturday, October 20th, will be held on Saturday, October 13th instead.

-------------------

The Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company (at least that's what I think it's called) will be shooting at BR&P all day on Saturday, October 20th. Therefore ALL OUTDOOR RANGES are expected to be CLOSED until they are done (mid-afternoon is the best guess).

-------------------

Also, the Chief Range Officer announced a rule change at our last RO meeting.

BR&P will now ALLOW the use of Clay Target Mounting Boards and shooting of clay pigeons on such boards on all outdoor ranges. The clay pigeons MUST be mounted on the boards and can NOT be put on the berms!!!!!!

The use of something like this is what we are talking about here. www.pigeonholdtargets.com [These were being sold at the Concord gun show and I brought a sample to our RO meeting and our CRO approved their use. CTD sells a different product that should do the same thing.]

Be AWARE that only the ROs that were present at the meeting know about this, and thus you could be challenged by any RO on duty. Kindly ask them to call the CRO for clarification if that is the case.

so cool. the guy and his son selling those were really nice ,i think he is on to something here,

i bought a bunch of them to use for the air rifle out in my back 40.

good to know we can use them at the range now,thanks lens.

so cool. the guy and his son selling those were really nice ,i think he is on to something here,

i bought a bunch of them to use for the air rifle out in my back 40.

good to know we can use them at the range now,thanks lens.

I had a long chat with him also. Real nice folks and I hope he makes a mint on his patent for these things.

I bought some, knowing that I could use them at Mansfield F&G anyway but hoped to convince Joe to let us use them at BR&P as well.

Makes a very cool interactive target, especially for new shooters who want to see something other than a hole in a piece of paper.

You guys are welcome. I was glad to assist and make this happen for all 4400 members! (no kidding that's what we are up to now)

I had a long chat with him also. Real nice folks and I hope he makes a mint on his patent for these things.

I bought some, knowing that I could use them at Mansfield F&G anyway but hoped to convince Joe to let us use them at BR&P as well.

Makes a very cool interactive target, especially for new shooters who want to see something other than a hole in a piece of paper.

You guys are welcome. I was glad to assist and make this happen for all 4400 members! (no kidding that's what we are up to now)

thanks Len, i just bought some clay's from Dick's tonight, on sale for $6.98 for a box of 90, now i just need to order those boards and cant wait to test this out, im not sure how the mounting will work though. I am sure an RO will advise once i there this weekend.

Some important info for both members and CMP match shooters:

--------------------

CMP Match Date Change:

CMP (open to the public) usually held on Saturday, October 20th, will be held on Saturday, October 13th instead.

-------------------

The Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company (at least that's what I think it's called) will be shooting at BR&P all day on Saturday, October 20th. Therefore ALL OUTDOOR RANGES are expected to be CLOSED until they are done (mid-afternoon is the best guess).

-------------------

Also, the Chief Range Officer announced a rule change at our last RO meeting.

BR&P will now ALLOW the use of Clay Target Mounting Boards and shooting of clay pigeons on such boards on all outdoor ranges. The clay pigeons MUST be mounted on the boards and can NOT be put on the berms!!!!!!

The use of something like this is what we are talking about here. www.pigeonholdtargets.com [These were being sold at the Concord gun show and I brought a sample to our RO meeting and our CRO approved their use. CTD sells a different product that should do the same thing.]

Be AWARE that only the ROs that were present at the meeting know about this, and thus you could be challenged by any RO on duty. Kindly ask them to call the CRO for clarification if that is the case.

Awesome Len. That is such good news. I was actually thinking about asking the club about this the other day.

Would a clay target being taped to a paper/cardboard target be okay as well?

thanks Len, i just bought some clay's from Dick's tonight, on sale for $6.98 for a box of 90, now i just need to order those boards and cant wait to test this out, im not sure how the mounting will work though. I am sure an RO will advise once i there this weekend.

There are holes drilled into them. You'd need screws and a screwdriver to put them on a wood frame (either over the club frame or bring your own). You won't want to leave them behind as they cost ~$6.00 each for the 24x24 holders.

The sample the mfr had had been shot many times and still had a lot of life left in it.

Awesome Len. That is such good news. I was actually thinking about asking the club about this the other day.

Would a clay target being taped to a paper/cardboard target be okay as well?

I don't know but you can expect it to fall off frequently and cease-fires every couple of minutes won't go over well.

Check the little box under the window or the cork board near the door at the new clubhouse. That's where found stuff goes. Alternately, send an Email to the CRO as he's there every day.

For BR&P Members who don't give their Email to the club for special club notices:

"New" clubhouse range will be closed from Tuesday, October 9th thru October 23rd for maintenance and cleaning of the air handling system.

We're having the lead cleaned out of the ductwork on the indoor range and it requires disassembly, installation of little doors for inspection and cleaning in the future, etc. [NOTE: This ductwork is separate from the clubhouse air handling system.]

The clubhouse itself will still be open and the "old" indoor range (which has a new HEPA system installed) and the outdoor ranges will be open.

Hi Braintree R&P folks-

I'm looking for a club to join and interested in taking a look at Braintree. I signed up for the meeting in November, but I'd like to take a look around before that. Is there a time for prospective members to get a tour, or a number to call to set up an appointment?
Thanks,

c-king

c-king,

No, just hook up with one of us members for a tour or stop by on a Sunday morning and ask one of the guys hanging around to show you around (that's what I did back some years ago). Next time I'll be at the club will be Monday night for the meeting but it's hard to show someone the outdoor ranges in the dark. I'll also be there as RO on Saturday, 10/20 until 1PM but the place will be hopping as we are hosting the Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company that day and all outdoor ranges will be for their use until done. http://www.ahac.us.com/ I still should be able to show you around that day if nobody can do it sooner.

Hi Braintree R&P folks-

I'm looking for a club to join and interested in taking a look at Braintree. I signed up for the meeting in November, but I'd like to take a look around before that. Is there a time for prospective members to get a tour, or a number to call to set up an appointment?
Thanks,

c-king

I can show you around. PM sent.

Any other members willing to show a potential member around? I've missed the deadline to get in for November, so I can't get in until January. I would like to at least see the range and make sure its the right place for me.

Any other members willing to show a potential member around? I've missed the deadline to get in for November, so I can't get in until January. I would like to at least see the range and make sure its the right place for me.

See my response above. I'm just not there very often as I don't live nearby.

I'm trying to go every Monday night, could you swing by then? Sometimes I go Sunday night as well.

Back
Top Bottom