• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

Just received an Email.

The new clubhouse range will be re-opened this Saturday afternoon. Lead removal from the air ductwork has been completed and cleanup of the backstop was also done.

Very Sad News - Paul Hazel

I've been pretty bummed all day since learning about Paul Hazel's sudden passing last week.

Paul was a true gentleman, a very active member of our "family" at BR&P . . . coaching new CMP shooters, competing and acting as an RO at the club.

Paul's kindness and helpfulness will be sorely missed at BR&P.

RIP! [sad]

My condolences to Paul's family and friends.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?n=PAUL-HAZEL&pid=161105488

I have a dues question. Already had a couple contacts with a club rep (whom, by the way, was great -- fast, polite replies, even if they weren't what I was hoping for)...so I'll cut to the chase.

I allowed my membership to lapse for the year 2012. Now that I have an EBR and a historical toy, I was looking to re-up on my membership. I was told I have to pay $100 for 2012 dues, $90 in late fees and $100 for 2013 (total of $290).

The other option was to rejoin the club. $175 and can't join until April at the very earliest due to it requiring going to an orientation class.

I do not understand this. So if I pay $290 now, I get immediate access to facilities. But if I go through the rejoining route I only pay $175...but have to wait until April. The only difference is attending initiation class (that I've already been to in the past...which would not be required if I paid $290). In both cases the only thing being done is a badge being activated again. There's no paperwork to fill out (they still have my records).

I truly don't understand this because it seems to be a HUGE difference in cost...for zero difference in actions/effort, on their end, to provide me membership. This leads me to another question...so what if someone lets their membership lapse for 10 years? Do they have to pay up $1000 ($100 in yearly dues x 10 years) along with $10/month late charges ($2200) making for a total of $3200?

Anyone have additional insight?

I answer BR&P questions on matters that I know about. As for the finances and rules surrounding that, I stay clear other than reading what is on the website and posting that.

I have no idea about the policy, as I pay my dues annually and have never let them lapse at any club.

A club member advised someone here recently that if they just showed up at the orientation they would likely be allowed to attend, as 1/4-1/3 of those that register fail to show up in any given month. If I were in your shoes, personally I'd just show up at the next orientation and come back as a new member.

I answer BR&P questions on matters that I know about. As for the finances and rules surrounding that, I stay clear other than reading what is on the website and posting that.

I have no idea about the policy, as I pay my dues annually and have never let them lapse at any club.

A club member advised someone here recently that if they just showed up at the orientation they would likely be allowed to attend, as 1/4-1/3 of those that register fail to show up in any given month. If I were in your shoes, personally I'd just show up at the next orientation and come back as a new member.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I did the check the website (and sent a screenshot) as it states that payments won't be accepted after May 2012 for that year. So that means late fees still accrue despite the fact the organization won't accept payment? And still on the hook for the full dues for the year?

I'm ok with ponying up $175, but to pay dues for a facility I was not a member at, plus late fees...not cool. So looks like I'll be taking the new member route!

Again, thank you!

ETA: ...The website I have to reserve a seat...do you know if there's any paperwork they do beforehand specific to the person? I.E. is just showing up to cover a no-show going to fly?

Last edited:
Just a Heads Up to all BR&P Members (and I know that we have a lot of new members here).

It would pay off to check the club website calendar for "interesting activities".

Also if you Register for the Members Only area, you will get eBlasts occasionally about Members Only events (one coming up REAL SOON) or other important info and access to Members Only For Sale section. You only get a handful of Emails/year normally, so you won't be inundated with junk Email, but not signing up may mean you miss something that you'll kick yourself for later.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm ok with ponying up $175, but to pay dues for a facility I was not a member at, plus late fees...not cool. So looks like I'll be taking the new member route!

You were a member, just not a member in good standing. The club rules are fair and simple; it seems to me the only problem is you don't want to follow them.

You were a member, just not a member in good standing. The club rules are fair and simple; it seems to me the only problem is you don't want to follow them.

Clearly they are not simple if the dues procedures listed on the website are inaccurate/false.

ETA: You also do not sign up for life. You argument means someone who was once a member but not for 10 years owes the club $1000+1200 = $2200 should they desire to come back as they are "still members just not in good standing". ETA again: Much more than $1200 in late fees if each dues period accrued its own late fees...$7920 if I did the math right.

Just going to rejoin the club.

Last edited:
I've read through this thread and it was mentioned that many new members don't show up for their orientation. Do you think that this is still the case with many new people being licensed? I have a march orientation date but if possible I'd like to take the Feb orientation.

I've read through this thread and it was mentioned that many new members don't show up for their orientation. Do you think that this is still the case with many new people being licensed? I have a march orientation date but if possible I'd like to take the Feb orientation.

Back when I was doing computer consulting, Microsoft would hold events with pre-registration for their partners/dealers/etc. Talking with their staff that registered people they told me that statistically 1/4-1/3 of the people who register don't show up. I'm hearing the same thing with BR&P orientations and other events that I've been involved with. If someone has no skin in the game (paid, non-refundable deposit), they tend to skip out in large numbers. Some firearms instructors have learned this the hard way as well, and that is why some of us insist on a non-refundable deposit . . . it's almost a guarantee that they will show up (and if not, it helps pay for the materials you ordered, certificates made out, etc.).

So heed warpig's suggestion!

I heard they were pretty busy at last month's orientation. As for the dues, I think 2013 dues are due by March 31 for existing members. There is a 2 month period where you can pay late with fees, after which the site says member will need to rejoin and pay the initiation fee. Not sure if that means you have to sit through the meeting though.

I was scheduled for a future meeting and went last month. It was packed, people standing everywhere. But they did accomodate everyone. Not sure if they are going to change that or not.

I am interested in seeing the BRP facilities prior to deciding to attend an orientation class to make sure it's the right club for me. Is there any time that tours are offered prior to just showing up to the new member orientation with a check hoping to discover its the right club that day?

I am interested in seeing the BRP facilities prior to deciding to attend an orientation class to make sure it's the right club for me. Is there any time that tours are offered prior to just showing up to the new member orientation with a check hoping to discover its the right club that day?

I actually messaged a member here, though their name escapes me right now. They were very accommodating, but, I ended up hearing back from Paul at the club and he setup a little tour for me. Fill out the contact form on their site and ask if you can get a tour. Chances are he will have you come by on the new member orientation day (2/3 or 2/10) and give you a tour after the orientation ends. At least that's what happened in my case.

Back in 1998 I just showed up on a Sunday morning and asked. A very nice gentleman showed me around and answered all my questions. There is always a group of people there on Sunday mornings. Now that there is a commercial venture there serving breakfasts on Saturdays and Sundays, it's likely to be busy there both days once word trickles out.

I'd offer but I'm not likely to be near the club until the NES ("green") Members dinner on 2/9.

I would too. I just bought a rifle and would like to find a club that has outdoor facilities.

On Sunday mornings the outdoor ranges are closed but there are plenty of people around. If you are in the area, stop by and take a look around, tell them I sent you. There is even breakfast served.

I heard they were pretty busy at last month's orientation. As for the dues, I think 2013 dues are due by March 31 for existing members. There is a 2 month period where you can pay late with fees, after which the site says member will need to rejoin and pay the initiation fee. Not sure if that means you have to sit through the meeting though.

I asked that question. They wanted $290 or I could rejoin and take the orientation and pay $175. I asked if I could pay $175 and not go to orientation as it really is just a rundown of rules and what the club facilities are. Negative.

The $290 was calculated as dues for a year I was not a member, late fees for 9 months (not just 2 as written) and then $100 for 2013 dues.

Last edited:
On Sunday mornings the outdoor ranges are closed but there are plenty of people around. If you are in the area, stop by and take a look around, tell them I sent you. There is even breakfast served.

Where do you recommend people park if the gate is down?

Where do you recommend people park if the gate is down?

Along the roadway to the right of the gate so that others can still drive thru the gate. Walk in, take a left and go to the 2nd building (gray block) and knock on the door for someone to open up also ask someone to badge you in the gate so you can park properly. Whatever you do, do NOT park at the condo complex, they will tow you (they hate our existence even though we were there for >100 years before they built the condos).

Also, I have to serve some papers in Quincy on Monday, so if someone wants a tour of BR&P mid-afternoon on Monday, send me an EMAIL (not a PM) off my username and I'll arrange to meet you and give you a tour.

Along the roadway to the right of the gate so that others can still drive thru the gate. Walk in, take a left and go to the 2nd building (gray block) and knock on the door for someone to open up also ask someone to badge you in the gate so you can park properly. Whatever you do, do NOT park at the condo complex, they will tow you (they hate our existence even though we were there for >100 years before they built the condos).

I can attest to this, last time as I was leaving BRP I hit the rotary and a guy from the condo complex floored it to cut me off. I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting him. Bunch of inconsiderate a**h***s.

I can attest to this, last time as I was leaving BRP I hit the rotary and a guy from the condo complex floored it to cut me off. I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting him. Bunch of inconsiderate a**h***s.

Visibility coming out of the roadway from the club to the rotary is "ZERO"! I turn down the radio and open the window to listen for cars as that is the only advance warning. As Mark says, they come flying down that roadway to the rotary with a [STRIKE=undefined]carefree[/STRIKE] "could give a shit less" attitude and even fly out of their parking lot into the rotary w/o slowing down (cutting you off) like they own the entire area! Caution is the watch-word there.

Last edited:

Visibility coming out of the roadway from the club to the rotary is "ZERO"! I turn down the radio and open the window to listen for cars as that is the only advance warning. As Mark says, they come flying down that roadway to the rotary with a [STRIKE=undefined]carefree[/STRIKE] "cold give a shit less" attitude and even fly out of their parking lot into the rotary w/o slowing down (cutting you off) like they own the entire area! Caution is the watch-word there.

I promise you guys I am NOT that a**h*** [laugh] I always slow way the hell down, listen for cars and look for headlights. But yeah, I go throw 3-4 rotaries in that area and everyone is a jerk and don't seem to know what "yield" means.

Like Len said, do not park in the lot just outside of the BRP gate. You can park in those OTHER spots beyond the rotary. They don't really check those spots as they are resident/visitor/whoever spots.

Visibility coming out of the roadway from the club to the rotary is "ZERO"! I turn down the radio and open the window to listen for cars as that is the only advance warning. As Mark says, they come flying down that roadway to the rotary with a [STRIKE=undefined]carefree[/STRIKE] "cold give a shit less" attitude and even fly out of their parking lot into the rotary w/o slowing down (cutting you off) like they own the entire area! Caution is the watch-word there.

I completely agree with visability when you first enter the rotary coming from BRP, but this was a quarter way around the rotary and he was coming from the condo complex. He saw me coming from a good ways out and definitely sped up. He also had a cellphone glued to one ear.

ive encountered a similar driver at the rotary there too..its almost like they see you coming from the evil gun range and have a bad attitude towards you and think they have the right away....I just take my time driving anyway and be carefull.

Think I found part of the problem with the condos/apts. My buddy moved in there a couple years back and I asked him about it. He said he barely hears anything and isn't really bothered by it, but his realtor gave him specific times he could show the place (during non peak times I assume). I think the realtors are to blame, along with the owners not doing their research. They probably feel dooped because they didn't even know it was there when they bought. Oh well... hopefully after sundays new members meeting I can contribute to the noise!

Back
Top Bottom