Brand Names in Ammo... .357 & 12Ga Buck

Brand Names in Ammo...

Can anyone recommend the best .357 and 12 gauge buck shot brands? I realize after looking through the piles of ammo at the gun store that I don't have a clue and it seemed like the gun salesman just kept pointing me to the most expensive stuff. I just want stuff that is realiable - if it is the most expensive then so be it...but I thought someone here could help me objectively.

What will you be using both of those ammo's for? That makes a BIG difference as to what brand/type I would recommend for you.

Adam

For the 12 guage, you'll have to buy some and see how they pattern with your shotgun. Buy a few boxes of several different brands, take them to the range, and see how they do.

For the shotgun, just about any big name brand will do fine. I personally prefer the Remington shotgun ammo. It's clean, powerful, and patterns fairly consistent. As for the shot size... Well that is a BIG can of worms that has been opened here before. Personally, for the size home I own, and the proximity of my neighbors (not close on the sides, but across the street fairly close) I prefer to stick to #4 shot size. If you live in an apartment I wouldn't go much larger than #6. If your neighbors are not a concern, you can even go up to 00 buck. As for the 357, I would probably stick to a .38 special round that will limit the effects of over penetration should you have neighbors in close proximity. If you were an apartment dweller I might even go with frangible ammo. Same would hold true if there are others in the house that an over penetrating round would effect. As for the brand for the 357/38. As I have no personal experience with those calibers, I feel rather confident in my other caliber guns sticking with Federal Hydra-shok rounds.

If you are going to be using these guns at the range, I would recommend the Winchester White Box ammo. You can usually pick it up at Walmart for much cheaper than in the gun shop. You can also usually get the Remington shotgun ammo at Walmart too.

Hope this helps.
Adam

I suggest using Remington or Winchester for the shotgun shells. Federal is also good. Buy the premium product of these companies, avoid the cheaper products. I personally prefer Winchester Super-X loads.

For the 357, I suggest Magtech's products. Remington would be my second choice (or handloads made with Remington bullets). That's what I use.

Back
Top Bottom