• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bread makers help?

King Arthur 'all purpose' flour seems to have enough protein (?) to make excellent bread, for our tastes anyway, we do not notice any difference when we do not use -bread- flour.

King Arthur 'all purpose' flour seems to have enough protein (?) to make excellent bread, for our tastes anyway, we do not notice any difference when we do not use -bread- flour.

You’re only talking a few percentage points with regards to protein content in AP vs. bread flour. The real difference is in the gluten. This is where knead time and proof/retarding the dough separates good bread, from great bread. AP is just that, all purpose. You can certainly make delicious bread with it and survive. Focaccia is your friend! The additional protein and gluten are necessary when you fall down the rabbit hole. Straight dough vs. fermented. The baguettes I used to make were a 3 day process. A pre-ferment (biga), the mix and bulk rises and form day 2 and retard overnight, proof and bake the third day.

Quick tip for ALL bakers, work backwards. Determine when you want your bread, and work back from there. X amount of time for bake, X for proof, X for bulk rises, etc. Maybe a little much for the home baker, but it’s the only way to make it work when you’re dealing with bulk production and multiple bread types. Bread takes time.

As a former pastry chef/baker, bread machine bread is still amazing. Anything fresh surpasses the most amazing loaf of bread from yesterday.

Bread Flour v. All-Purpose Flour vid...

I make between six and eight batches of bread each month. About every 6-7 days I make a loaf of sammich bread. About every other week a batch for dinner rolls as well as a batch for 'breakfast' bread (cinnamon rolled into it before it goes into the loaf pan). I found that selecting the RIGHT yeast makes a large difference. I've gone from using Fleischmann's active dry to LeSaffre Saf-Instant Yeast, Gold. Getting MUCH better results, with faster time to rise as well. No need to proof the yeast ahead of adding everything. Simply run through the stand mixer (KitchenAid Commercial model), then rise in a bowl until at least doubled. Then kneed and put into the loaf pan (or make into rolls) and allowed to rise again (just like the South ;)).

I use Bob's Red Mill 100% Stoneground whole wheat flour, adding just over 1oz of gluten to the recipe.

If you're not weighing the flour, and all dry ingredients, for measure you should be. Especially the flour. I also weigh the small salt addition since depending on what salt you use, volume measures will be different actual amounts. Weight doesn't lie.

Last batch of sammich bread I made:
Before baking (after second rise in the loaf pan):
PXL_20211007_153159128.jpg

Right out of the oven:
PXL_20211007_160737096.jpg

I can get 6-7 days of lunches out of each batch. I've even started batches right after breakfast and it's been used that day for lunch. A bit on the warm side, but still worked. Only thing the warmer bread really impacts is how it slices. A good knife takes care of that.

As for the earlier comment about yeast being difficult like women. Not if you know what you're doing and pick the correct one. ;)

Good thread. I made a sour dough starter over the pandemic and keep it fed. Makes awesome bread everybody loves. What is everyone doing to store homemade bread? Plastic wrap is just ok but bread only keeps a few days. Has anyone frozen any to keep for those days you don’t feel like cooking?

Anyone have a good local source for Bread Flour? I'm looking for Sir Lancelot (or better) in 25- or 50-pound bags.

Call Sysco customer service and ask for the cash will call for the local office. They stock that flour. 5617139 is the code.

Anyone have a good local source for Bread Flour? I'm looking for Sir Lancelot (or better) in 25- or 50-pound bags.

Find someone with a restaurant depot card.
Or, it’s in stock at webstaraunt store.

i'd bet money i saw it in 30 lb bags at bj's. but i could be mistaking it with king arthur. i remember it had a drawing with a knights helmet on it on a sky blue background.

Sir Lancelot is King Arthur’s hi-gluten bread flour. So, you could be both right and wrong, at the same time. King Arthur flour, but was it the right one??
Schrodinger’s flour.

King Arthur's AP flour is usually in a Red Bag. Blue bag might be Sir Lancelot, or as imaged on the KA website the KA Bread Flour.

Thanks guys, I'll check those sites out, and plan a trip to BJ's.

Sir Lancelot is King Arthur’s hi-gluten bread flour. So, you could be both right and wrong, at the same time. King Arthur flour, but was it the right one??
Schrodinger’s flour.
am i right or am i wrong? [laugh] but never knew that about the 2 flours. there's my one new thing for today.

i just make irish soda bread, no yeast. it's like honey, will never go bad. [laugh] those irish, right? i found a loaf in a holiday tin my grandmother made some time ago, she's been dead since 1981. hard as the proverbial rock. broke off a chunk with the meat tenderizer mallet, soaked it in tea, and it came right back. i found my doomsday staple. i started using gradmas recipe substituting craisins soaked in tullamore dew instead of using raisins. i think that keeps it "moist" inside.

Back
Top Bottom