• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bringing another G43 back to life

daltrey99

NES Member
This project started off with me looking for a barrel to complete another G43 build that I have going. The barreled receiver had a half inch chopped off of the barrel, the rear sight ears were sheared off, the gas block was plugged and drilled on the bottom of the barrel for some reason. The bore was in great shape and the receiver was in good shape besides the rear sight. I had the whole bolt group ready to drop in it so I had the parts to build it.

I found an original stock on ebay that someone shortened the butt end and had an aftermarket butt plate on it. They contoured the rear of the stock so just adding the rear piece to hold the butt plate was not going to work. I had to cut more into the original stock so I could blend and join a piece of butt stock from a K98. My first attempt I was not happy with so I tried again with another piece of K98 butt stock. I used 2 sporter stocks that had the fore end chopped. I did not want to use a complete k98 stock and ruin a good piece that someone could use even though I found cheaper ones than the sporter stocks. I drilled pilot holes for 2 6 inch lag screws and fitted the rear piece. I then put Acraglas between the two pieces then tightened the lag screws for an almost indestructible joint. I think the wood grain matched up fairly well considering that it was quite coincidental. Once everything cured, I added some stain oil to try and blend the pieces. I am not 100% happy with the blend and may try to tweak it some more but it isnt too terrible. I have an original handguard for it but it is cracked down the middle. I have one of those "fakelite" handguards on it right now to shoot with it.

The work on the barreled receiver was done by Apfeltor. He did a great job rebuilding the rear sight ears and also machining the front of the barrel to fit the front sight base properly. He filled in the bottom hole on the gas block and re-drilled the top for the proper gas block. A shooters kit was installed and she runs beautifully.

She will never be a collectors piece but she is a great shooter. She cycles well and all parts have been gone over and inspected. I love to shoot these G/K43's. If you go over everything and maintain them, they are fun rifles to shoot. This an original scope rail delete rifle.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here are some photos of the complete process.
A.jpg B.jpg C - Copy.jpg D.jpg E.jpg F.jpg G.jpg H.JPG I.JPG J.JPG

Nice save.

pIwkMbu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom