Brother wants to enlist Army after HS

He signed up Cavalry Scout, 19D I believe is the MOS? (Forgive my ignorance of number to letters.)
He's headed to Ft. Benning after graduation next summer.

Just out of curiosity do you mind saying what his unit is? I was in the 1-182nd when they were infantry, but I believe they have transitioned to a cav scout unit now. I still know some of the senior guys there.

Just out of curiosity do you mind saying what his unit is? I was in the 1-182nd when they were infantry, but I believe they have transitioned to a cav scout unit now. I still know some of the senior guys there.

the duece was only Cav for a short period of time. They went back to Infantry like 2 years after the transition. Too many Dont ask dont tell violations with that many 19D run around

Back to infantry as of 2010 I believe. Delta co is still mounted though.

Cav Scout? So he chose the hard way.
My nephew was a cav scout 10 years ago. In one big operation he spend 2 weeks straight clearing houses in Tal Afar, Iraq. Most of the time he was, as he put it, "going through the gate every morning" in a Humvee to patrol. We said more than a few prayers those years.

My nephew was a cav scout 10 years ago. In one big operation he spend 2 weeks straight clearing houses in Tal Afar, Iraq. Most of the time he was, as he put it, "going through the gate every morning" in a Humvee to patrol. We said more than a few prayers those years.
He wants to be a sniper, so this was the path he took. First AQT he scored a 39/40, then the next one missed the 300 yard shots.
Needs more practice but I think he'll get there.

SF rangers or don't bother
Dont think you are speaking from experience?

You generally can’t enlist directly for SF, and Ranger Battalion billets are hard to get. And to be a Paratrooper you have to have a “Picket Fence” physical. Doesn’t take much to disqualify you.

Cavalry is a state of mind. The Army has been trying to get rid of it for 75 years but never will, because Cavalry Squadrons can do a lot of things that other units can’t do, or don’t want to do, or both.
Sure as shit, he joined. Went 19D, and just passed his fitness test and is a ceremony away from being a Soldier now. Family is down there at Ft. Benning with him now.
View attachment 245436
Garryowen!

Calvary Scout just might be the best job in the Army. And Calvary Squadrons are always stationed way out front, on borders, or flanks, far away from Headquarters Brass. High level of Esprit, low level of BS.

####
Halfway down the trail to Hell in a shady meadow green,
are the Souls of all dead troopers camped near a good old-fashion canteen,
and this eternal resting place is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell, the Infantry are seen,
accompanied by the Engineers, Artillery and Marine,
for none but the shades of Cavalrymen dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail to seek a warmer scene,
no trooper ever gets to Hell ere he's emptied his canteen
and so rides back to drink again with friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen,
or in a roaring charge fierce melee you stop a bullet clean,
and the hostiles come to get your scalp,
just empty your canteen and put your pistol to your head
and go to Fiddlers' Green.

Last edited:
Congrats to you and your Brother.
I did four years of Active Duty after High School.
Good times and bad, it did a far better job of preparing me for life than four years of college I did later in my 20s, and the college was paid for at that point.

Congrats to you and your Brother.
I did four years of Active Duty after High School.
Good times and bad, it did a far better job of preparing me for life than four years of college I did later in my 20s, and the college was paid for at that point.
Yeah I'll be constantly pestering him to make sure he uses every penny of that GI Bill.

Best of luck to your brother. My oldest son just got sworn in this morning - US Army, MOS is 19Kilo
Nice! M1 Crewman. Amazing vehicle.

So in the old days, 12 series MOS was for tankers, or “DAT’s” which stood for “Dumb Ass Tankers.”

Then the M1 Abrams and M2 and M3 Bradley came along, and they became 19 series “CDAT’s” for “Computerized Dumb Ass Tankers.”

There aren’t too many things in this world more fun than firing a tank cannon!

Great to read about these young men becoming a part of America's Finest! Congratulations to them, their moms and dads, uncles, etc.

Nice! M1 Crewman. Amazing vehicle.

So in the old days, 12 series MOS was for tankers, or “DAT’s” which stood for “Dumb Ass Tankers.”

Then the M1 Abrams and M2 and M3 Bradley came along, and they became 19 series “CDAT’s” for “Computerized Dumb Ass Tankers.”

There aren’t too many things in this world more fun than firing a tank cannon!

My brother started out in Armor. As an officer he got to learn the M1 crew positions in armor school, which he said was a total blast. Think it was at Ft. Carson in CO.

Dont think you are speaking from experience?

You generally can’t enlist directly for SF, and Ranger Battalion billets are hard to get. And to be a Paratrooper you have to have a “Picket Fence” physical. Doesn’t take much to disqualify you.

Cavalry is a state of mind. The Army has been trying to get rid of it for 75 years but never will, because Cavalry Squadrons can do a lot of things that other units can’t do, or don’t want to do, or both.
Garryowen!

Calvary Scout just might be the best job in the Army. And Calvary Squadrons are always stationed way out front, on borders, or flanks, far away from Headquarters Brass. High level of Esprit, low level of BS.

Reminds me I need to finish Thunder Run, about a 3rd ID armor assault on Baghdad, it's a really good book.

Was he with 3rd ACR? They lost a lot of good people there.

Only sort of. Yes, there are good pensions after 20 years and VA benefits, but it's an up-or-out system. At each officer level rank, it becomes harder to move to the next rank, and if you are promotion eligible but passed over two promotion cycles in a row the expectation is you will resign before the next cycle. There are limits on the number of officers at each rank, so it is not simply a matter of being "good enough" - you have to be the best out of a competitive pool - and it's not union so you don't get play a seniority card.

This is why you see many retired Army Captains and the like in civilian jobs (one of the really great teachers my kid had in high school was a retired Army Captain).

So, in short, if you graduate ROTC at t 22 or 23, you cannot be assured you will be allowed to remain a military officer for a full career.

These are the details I've learned from reading as a civilian with no military experience. Those who have served as officers and are more qualified to comment are welcome to correct any misconceptions I may have.

And a great many ROTC commissions are into the reserves rather the "active" army...

Back
Top Bottom