build-n-ar program

Try looking at this from an instructors point of view. You want to run a class that shows the basic assembly of a M4 and 20 students show up with different parts. Though most of the parts will assemble the same, there are quad rails that assemble different from others, plus you know someone is going to show up with a piston kit. KISS

Or look at it this way...

Take the class, get the tools, learn the material and then sell the AR for $800 and you now have the tools and knowledge and certified for like $125.

True true

I'm in + 1

Try looking at this from an instructors point of view. You want to run a class that shows the basic assembly of a M4 and 20 students show up with different parts. Though most of the parts will assemble the same, there are quad rails that assemble different from others, plus you know someone is going to show up with a piston kit. KISS

I think it would be reasonable to offer 2 or 3 variations of rifle. Maybe a 16" or 20" option and a A2 or flattop upper option.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, but have just never gone forward with any real plans on making it happen. My inspiration was the NES AR build night, and I'd like to see something like that again with this option of building an AR at a set price like this event.

Someone pick this up and run with it please! My wife said I could do it if the rifle was for her! So if we could follow up with a pink cerokote class that would be great!

Here's a question as I am not too familiar with laws. Lets say I was in Florida the time of one of the classes and built up one of these bad boys. What would I need to do to get it to mass? Could I disassemble it and say I bought all the components individually then register it in mass minus any evil features as a gun I built? PM me if you have a comment weather its u need to do ABC to bring it to mass or if its a yer a freakin idiot you can't do that.

I would be in too. I'm interested in building an AR, but really have no clue about where to start. I've been watching YouTube videos and reading threads here, but still feel lost. If I could go to a class, have the parts already there, and then work through the build, I think that would be a tremendous help.

I would be in too. I'm interested in building an AR, but really have no clue about where to start. I've been watching YouTube videos and reading threads here, but still feel lost. If I could go to a class, have the parts already there, and then work through the build, I think that would be a tremendous help.

It's not just the parts, but you need some specialized tools - including, but not limited to, appropriate punches; fixtures for holding the upper and lower in a vice; barrel wrench; stock wrench; torque wrench; go/no go headspace guage (you can' adjust headspace but you can check it); etc.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but ARs are not difficult to build. Sure, when I checked into MOS school, I thought it was an extremely complex weapon. 2 hours later I realized it's not.

Tools are not that bad. You only need a barrel wrench/multi-tool which you can get for about $20. You can grab punches for dirt cheap at Harbor Freight, or buy just the sizes you need, you need only to clamp the barrel in the vice, with aluminum jaws, or you can get the plastic upper kit if you'd like.

The torque wrench, I honestly have to say I used about 3 times out of the 300 barrel changes and 200 upper changes I did. You'll know when it's tight enough, the specs are between 35-85 ft-lbs, don't quote me on that, and you're really trying to just line up the nut for gas tube, while having the barrel tight on the upper, thats all.

I've assembled lowers with a carpenter's hammer, big screw driver, and some rubber matting, thats it!. Plenty of masking tape will protect the finish of your lower when you start driving pins into place.

When building an AR, it seems cheaper (total price) to buy a complete upper, less barrel (with forward assist and ejection port cover) already installed. After finding the upper kit, that's in stock, and after paying shipping, it comes out to break even, or maybe saves you a few cents.

If more than 2 guys are gonna build ARs, I suggest you share headspace gages. You only need them every so often, depending on how many rounds you're throwing down range. If I built a brand new gun with new bolt and barrel, I'd bet it's 99.99% safe, and I'd shoot the first round through it. Headspacing is a MUST if you are using a used part kit (for AKs, FALs, etc). But with brand new barrels and bolts, you should be good without it.

In the Marine Corps, I was an armorer, and have personally fixed over 5,000 M16s in the past 4 years.

PM me if you wanna know more about ARs. I am coming home from the Marine Corps to MA within 3 weeks.

I'll be job/school searching, so I will have plenty of time on my hands. To get around the transfer of weapons/need for an FFL, if I said you buy the lower, I'll help you find the parts, and you could come to my garage and build an AR with tools that I have, would that be a reasonable offer? Your lower will transform into a full AR with the supervision of myself.

I think John at Remsport could be talked into a build party, would probably need 8-10 commitments. He has all the parts and knowledge at his shop and is a great AR resource.

I would love to do a thing like this, would make an Excellent green member meet and greet. I used to live in Florida,still have allot of friends with guns, one has done that AR build at the place in Brandon. Called them about me going down there to do it, but said it could just be a hassle for me cause of this Communist states laws. To bad though seemed like a really great deal to learn and even get some tools to do the job.

Charles.

I'll be job/school searching, so I will have plenty of time on my hands. To get around the transfer of weapons/need for an FFL, if I said you buy the lower, I'll help you find the parts, and you could come to my garage and build an AR with tools that I have, would that be a reasonable offer? Your lower will transform into a full AR with the supervision of myself.
Damned nice of you to offer nhh223 and thanks for your service!

Yeah, not a problem. The most barrels and uppers I changed in a work day was around 75-80. The fastest barrel changer in the shop was around 3 minutes flat. I've dealt with so many M16s in the past 4 years, it's insane. I'd say I'd like to charge labor, but I would honestly feel bad, a pack of Newports would cover it.

Once I get home, I'll get headspace gauges, barrel vise clamps and a couple of punches so I can have a mobile "gun building" tool box. If you own a vice, I'll even come over and work in your garage. I'm old school, I'd rather do a service/labor for you if you have a similar service/labor in exchange.

I'm also planning on building an M40A3 Sniper Rifle clone. My Precision Weapons Repair Chief taught me a lot about building an accurate rifle, so I need to give that a whirl also.

Im in Ri but would be into this and could justify the cost if over all i could walk away w/ knowledge and a sweet setup a bit less expensive than i could buy off the rack.
i see that there are more than enough interested parties to probably warrant 2 classes.
800$ sounds good to me.
would love to see a pic of the model i could build 1st though before committing.

someone PM me if this comes to fruition, i may lose track of this thread....thanks

monkey

Back
Top Bottom