C&R 03 License - Purchasing to transfer question

Hi -

I was looking to order a couple of C&R eligible firearms and wanted to transfer one to my brother. Based on the C&R guidebook - it states:

You can sell a C&R acquired eligible firearm, but you cannot do it for your “livelihood”

With this - any issue then of ordering two CZ82's and transferring one to my brother via the standard form?

Thanks for the help!

Why not get both the guns now and have your brother get his own 03FFL. Then just simply transfer it to him when he gets his license. He's be way better off with it.

Depends on who looks at it. Not technically a straw purchase since your brother (I'm assuming) is not legally prohibited from buying the gun, but some people might consider it to be anyway.

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but is the CZ82 on the list of Mass. approved firearms? Could you actually transfer it via an FA-10 to someone in this state without a C&R? If so, that would seem like a pretty big loop hole.

Last edited:
The Mass. approved firearms list only applies to dealers, not C&R holders. So I believe there's no problem with him transfering a CZ82. But it's not a big loop hole, because as a C&R holder you're not allowed to deal in firearms. This guy buying a gun (any C&R gun) specifically to transfer to his brother would likely be frowned upon by the ATF. TYPEO1313's advice is the best, have the brother get his C&R and then it's a transfer between collectors, which is probably much less likely to get the ATF grumpy.

Last edited:
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but is the CZ82 on the list of Mass. approved firearms? Could you actually transfer it via an FA-10 to someone in this state without a C&R? If so, that would seem like a pretty big loop hole.

This question has been answered multiple times in recent days.

Back
Top Bottom