• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on LTC's

Fst_cr

NES Member
Hi All,

I am trying to get my LTC - took the course in December, submitted paperwork 1st week of January, fingerprinted ~1/10, approved in late February, but still no LTC.

Is Mass slow-rolling these? I can't figure out why it should take so long (seriously)...

Is this typical?

Thanks

Ray

Actually, yes I did search, and yet I don't understand why it takes so long, I have had several security clearances, so there must be many feet of records on me...

Actually, yes I did search, and yet I don't understand why it takes so long, I have had several security clearances, so there must be many feet of records on me...
You didn't do any research. You think you're special because you have security clearances. You live in a shithole state that doesn't care.

I've had some level of clearance for close to 35 years still takes what it takes because it's not about keeping people safe, it's about keeping them disarmed therefore keeping a tyrannical state safe.

PDs have NO access to security clearance info. I once asked my chief about that.

LTC/FID issuance is a PITA for the PD, who gets to keep NONE of your $100 fee, so they put it as a very low priority.

The state makes the process so complex that it takes the PD many steps to process. I posted a sticky on this years ago and the process hasn't really changed since then.

Just to add about calling. A friend of mine had submitted his renewal ( well before it expired so he was covered to that extent) His birthday came and went and a couple weeks go by and I asked him if he got his new LTC yet, he said no. I told him to call and ask about it- lo and behold they had it and told him to come pick it up. First thing I did was asked to look at it. Issue date was 2-3 weeks before he called. This was last month.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am trying to get my LTC - took the course in December, submitted paperwork 1st week of January, fingerprinted ~1/10, approved in late February, but still no LTC.

Is Mass slow-rolling these? I can't figure out why it should take so long (seriously)...

Is this typical?

Thanks

Ray
I have a few friends who have waited 4-6 months. I have other friends who waited no more than 45 days. Be patient.

Just to add about calling. A friend of mine had submitted his renewal ( well before it expired so he was covered to that extent) His birthday came and went and a couple weeks go by and I asked him if he got his new LTC yet, he said no. I told him to call and ask about it- lo and behold they had it and told him to come pick it up. First thing I did was asked to look at it. Issue date was 2-3 weeks before he called. This was last month.
My shocked face >>> 🥱
I have a few friends who have waited 4-6 months. I have other friends who waited no more than 45 days. Be patient.
Funny how this pathetic state let's you renew your driver's license up to a year before expiration and it takes about a week to arrive by mail if you do the renewal online.

Meanwhile, LTC renewals in my town cannot be started until 90 days before expiration and, in the same breath, we are told that it can take up to 6 months to arrive.

What is wrong with this picture??? :mad:

Took the class mid December, submitted paperwork late December, got the LTC yesterday.

I guess the only faux pas left is to ask 'What firearm should I get?' :cool:

Just kidding, I have one and need to go and try a bunch of 9mm and see what I like, and join a club

Seems like times are all over the map, regardless if you have a cooperative PD, or a security clearance, or... All the searching will not help answer this, since stories are very different. Captain Obvious says: This seems is a very low priority task for the state...

PDs have NO access to security clearance info. I once asked my chief about that.

LTC/FID issuance is a PITA for the PD, who gets to keep NONE of your $100 fee, so they put it as a very low priority.

The state makes the process so complex that it takes the PD many steps to process. I posted a sticky on this years ago and the process hasn't really changed since then.
I thought they kept $25, per MGL

The be makin' phat stax!

Issue date for renewal will always be your birthday.

Took the class mid December, submitted paperwork late December, got the LTC yesterday.

I guess the only faux pas left is to ask 'What firearm should I get?' :cool:

Just kidding, I have one and need to go and try a bunch of 9mm and see what I like, and join a club

Seems like times are all over the map, regardless if you have a cooperative PD, or a security clearance, or... All the searching will not help answer this, since stories are very different. Captain Obvious says: This seems is a very low priority task for the state...
The state has a phone number to check where in the process your LTC is, and will tell you the date it was received and when it's returned to the PD. Every time this has been done the delay was found to be the local PD, not the state. Most of what the local PD says about delays are lies, and they do it with aa smile.
I will add that it appears that the state prints them in batches, so that could cost a few day.

you would think- but not the case. I just looked at mine it was issued 2 days after my birthday.
ETA- Should say not always the case.
Did you apply far in advance, or at the last minute?

I can imagine that a late application might take long enough that it literally wasn’t done on time.

If you apply sufficiently in advance the renewed license will never be before your birthday.

you would think- but not the case. I just looked at mine it was issued 2 days after my birthday.
ETA- Should say not always the case.
First issue is variable after that expiration is always birthday.

@wildwest the only way I can think of it not being your birthday on a renewal as if you missed the window and you were actually in expiration when they processed it. Even that seems weird though because I renewed mine two days before expiration but they had me in the computer the same day so it just passed off seamlessly

@wildwest the only way I can think of it not being your birthday on a renewal as if you missed the window and you were actually in expiration when they processed it. Even that seems weird though because I renewed mine two days before expiration but they had me in the computer the same day so it just passed off seamlessly
I just checked the receipt I renewed 29 days before my birthday/expiration. The mystery continues lol

Back
Top Bottom