C&R Machine Guns

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
If I buy a C&R machine gun from out of state, do I still have to transfer it through a Mass Class III dealer, or can I get away with one Form 4 to me?

You guys think its fun to go pick up an old mauser at FED EX? I've had a lot of fun toys show up at the door. Never forget the time I got the sticky on my door sped down to FED EX... kid says something like "Wow that was insured for a lot, its kinda heavy, whats a Thompson?" Hell I just waited months to see my new toy so I say, "Its an old gun, want to see it?" He did and he liked it...

Just a side note to that story, FED EX and UPS seem to change their machinegun shipping policy frequently, so I don't know if you can still ship an MG with them, but you "ustacould".

Do FFLs charge more for class III transfers than on typical transfers or are there other bs hurdles to jump?

Do FFLs charge more for class III transfers than on typical transfers or are there other bs hurdles to jump?

I think the going rate is around $100 a transfer.

But if it is a C&R gun there are added "benefits" of it going direct to you.

#1. Its many times only 1 $200 transfer not 2.
#2. Its always only 1 wait for forms to be approved not 2.

I think the going rate is around $100 a transfer.

But if it is a C&R gun there are added "benefits" of it going direct to you.

#1. Its many times only 1 $200 transfer not 2.
#2. Its always only 1 wait for forms to be approved not 2.

The question now makes all the sense in the world... Skipping half the wait alone is well worth it.

UPS left my 1942 1928A1 Thompson sitting on my front porch.[shocked]
That was in 1994....and she still shoots sweet
1zntnxk.jpg

Nothing, however, is cooler than getting a MG shipped right to your house.

Last edited:

Problem is that the FFL has to pay the $500 SOT (tax) each year on top of the FFL cost. Also, they need to stock various forms, fingerprint cards, etc. If the FFL does 5 or less transfers in a year, it's at a loss. If the MG is coming from out of state, the dealer actually is involved with two transfers (one to him and one to the buyer). So, if you see an FFL asking $100 or $150 for a transfer, they are not ripping you off. I've done MG transfers for NES members at the "NES discount". However, I am not a stocking dealer and do not have the overhead that the store front guys have. They need to make their margins to stay in business and keep the shooting sports alive. The least expensive route is to find a C&R MG and bring it in yourself on your 03 FFL. If you can get the green card, that is. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom