• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R transfer question

Stevireno

NES Member
Hi all,

I have a c&r license and live in mass. If I purchase from a non ffl, a citizen in mass, do I need to transfer ownership using the mass portal?

I get my c&r a couple years ago and have forgotten how private sale works with it...

Thanks

Steve

Synopsis:

For your 03FFL compliance you would need to enter the transaction into your bound book.

For your MA LTC you would need to register the transaction within the portal within 7 days of the transaction.

If you reside in MA, and you are completing the transaction in MA, no need to use your C&R… just use your LTC. C&R is really only beneficial when acquiring collectible firearms from out of State, so you can have them shipped directly to your doorstep.

See also:

See also:
Copy and pasted from GOAL News, Friday December 18, 2020 weekly electronic newsletter:

Some good news happening as of January 1, 2021: Massachusetts firearm retailers will be able to sell handguns that are deemed to be “Curios or Relics” to MA LTC holders that also have a Federal 03 C&R license. No longer must the handgun have been owned on a MA gun license prior to 10/28/1998. Currently, MA retailers can only sell/transfer a handgun if the handgun is on one of three rosters and exempt or compliant with the consumer protection regulations of 940 CMR 16.00.

This is another positive change that came out of chapter 284 way back in 2014. The change appears in Chapter 140 section 131E where the following language has been added, “A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11.”

The new law is not extremely clear with regard to the paperwork requirement. GOAL suggests that dealers obtain a copy of the customers C&R 03 FFL and attach this license to the EFA 10 form and or the form 4473. Please remember this is not a bound book to bound book transfer. Retail customers must possess an LTC and provide proof that they are in fact licensed by the BATFE as a collector of curio and relic’s by way of the 03 FFL.

Do keep in mind that 940 CMR 16.00 is still in play which means the handgun is exempt from these regulations if it was manufactured prior to 10/01/1998 for retail sale.

For those LTC holders that wish to obtain a Federal C&R 03 FFL, please visit the BATFE website where you can order the hardcopy application. The fee is $30 for the three-year license and you must notify your chief of police that you have applied for this license. You’re also required to keep a bound book for all C & R acquisitions. Do keep in mind that when purchasing a handgun from a Massachusetts retailer under this new law, no entry in the bound book would be required.

Last edited:
Since it is a C&R, I want to ask does the nonFFL have a valid LTC? If for some reason the answer is no (expired, benefactor inherited the weapon, etc.) then you are well advised to use an FFL for the transfer. Or you could file personal registration on the portal and enter into your bound book, that should please the emperor.

Hi all,

I have a c&r license and live in mass. If I purchase from a non ffl, a citizen in mass, do I need to transfer ownership using the mass portal?

I get my c&r a couple years ago and have forgotten how private sale works with it...

Thanks

Steve
no you do not need to, the seller in MA is responsible for that transfer

C&R is a federal license. That means it only really does anything for interstate purchases, and you wouldn’t need to do a 4479 if buying from a dealer in state.

You still need to follow all state laws, including documenting transfers in the portal. That includes C&R guns purchased out of state.

C&R is a federal license. That means it only really does anything for interstate purchases, and you wouldn’t need to do a 4479 if buying from a dealer in state.

You still need to follow all state laws, including documenting transfers in the portal. That includes C&R guns purchased out of state.
Okay, thanks!

Since it is a C&R, I want to ask does the nonFFL have a valid LTC? If for some reason the answer is no (expired, benefactor inherited the weapon, etc.) then you are well advised to use an FFL for the transfer. Or you could file personal registration on the portal and enter into your bound book, that should please the emperor.
Thanks, I am looking to purchase an M1, seller is waiting on his LTC that had expired and is being renewed...

Is this true for a renewal that occurred after an expiration date? Not sure on that one.

A validation in the portal will answer the question for sure
No, it won't work if the renewal wasn't entered prior to expiration. You are right, running a validation will answer that question.

From what I researched years ago regard C&R and Mass registration is that you do have to register the firearm purchase through the Mass portal but if was an out of state purchase then you don’t need to enter the sellers information and just leave that blank.

When you buy a gun in Mass, whether you use your C&R or not, if it is a C&R eligible gun then it MUST be entered in your bound book, even if you only used your LTC and did the FA10 (all guns need an FA10 even if bought with a C&R. ALSO remember that if you sell a gun that you had before you got your C&R (any bought after will be in your bound book), then when you sell a C&R eligible gun that you owned before getting your C&R MUST be entered in the bound book within 24 hours of the sale of said gun.

I searched the site and wasn't able find an answer, so I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

I've renewed my C&R once, and it is set for renewal. I've decided not to renew because I've only purchased one rifle with it over the years and I don't want to give .gov another reason to knock on my door.

My question is do I need to take any steps , or can I just ignore the renewal? The rifle was purchased from out of state, and I did register it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom