CA - Off-Duty Cop At Restaurant w/6 Year Old Daughter, Shoots and Kills Attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does it say people were being assaulted? You think removing your 6 year old from the situation is cowering and sneaking away. The kid had to watch her father get beaten and have to kill a man. You think that worked out well for everybody involved?

I don't know if you are baiting me or what, so I'm just going to end it here. BTW, my job requires me to go into situations that would make most people crap their pants. I've just gained knowledge and experience in situations like this to know how they can play out. So, tough guy, thanks for protecting me. It's like having a weight taken off my shoulders.

Last edited:
News video contradicts initial news article. Video says six year old daughter seated inside when her father is attacked outside. Article says officer attacked as he and daughter left the restaurant. Further info as provided gives us some better insight...

Call for back up/assistance? Seems like he left his daughter alone at the table and went outside to confront the "agitated" man and was then attacked............He had no choice to defend himself but perhaps he could have avoided the confrontation that turned violent.

I feel so much safer knowing you are out there protecting me from people who are walking around talking to themselves.
Not to worry, I won't protect you... [laugh]

Kidding aside, see above... I can't say I'd have done the same as I am more concerned about my kids than anyone - so I would not have left her alone... That said, trying to diffuse someone who's gone off the deep end in public is not an unreasonable thing to do, particularly for an off-duty cop who, if he's like many cops, deals with such things frequently.

What we need is a patch - like "DNR" files - people could wear a "DNP" patch so we know that they want to be molested - that way there won't be any confusion... [rofl2]

Here's the way I see it.

A guy walking around talking to himself and swearing does not constitute an emergent situation. If you confront someone..anyone...over anything you take a risk of escalation.

This is exactly what happened. He engaged someone who was obviously unstable while he was off duty, out of his jurisdiction, in civilian clothes, and responsible for his young child.

He misread and mishandled the situation, and someone is dead, granted a POS. He should have let the local police handle it. He didn't evaluate the situation properly and didn't have the resources available to deal with it. The proof is in the end result.

If you guys are carrying, and complain to anybody about their behavior, you might not get absolved of blame should the situation escalate. If you think that you can tell someone to behave differently and they will comply having recognized your moral superiority, you may find yourself on the receiving end of a reality check

The idea is to be completely, entirely blameless. This situation could have waited for local, uniform cops to handle. Ignore the guy, walk away with your daughter, and call the police. The only thing that should be coming out of your mouth is if the BG approaches you. "Stop. Get away. Leave us alone."

I could not continue to watch you take a beating[laugh]..........Soooo.......With the luxury of hindsight..... there is some merit to what you say.

Schmidt said 14 people witnessed the fight and shooting.

This makes me sick. 14 people watched a man get beaten so savagely that he ended up with broken ribs, a broken nose and a broken jaw and no one did anything to help, asside from maybe calling the police to report an attempted murder in progress. Maybe I'm just being an armchair-warrior, but I'd like to think that if I was one of those 14 people (especially one of the "four friends" described in the story) that I'd do something to help until the police arrived.

No. It's just that God gave me a brain so I use it. Now let me guess. You work mall security somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. It's just that God gave me a brain so I use it. Now let me guess. You work mall security somewhere.

If not using your brain is asking someone who is being profane and belligerent to cut it out then our society is doomed. Whatever this guy said to him, he didn't deserve being beat to a pulp. See, that is what we call criminal action. Whereas speaking to someone is considered legal and reasonable. Nice touch with the mall security bit, it helps when you can't back up your argument with reason.

FNC is reporting a story today of a 63 year old guy who was holding open a convenience store door as two twentysomething black men entered.

Apparently that's a no-no, because 'words were exchanged' and the two young dudes beat the 63 year old guy nearly to death (he's not expected to survive).

Video link

So much for those who don't think there was an 'emergent threat' in the case of the cop and his 6yr old. I suppose this guy should have interrupted his own beating and called the cops before it went as far as it did.

Last edited:
FNC is reporting a story today of a 63 year old guy who was holding open a convenience store door as two twentysomething black men entered.

Apparently that's a no-no, because 'words were exchanged' and the two young dudes beat the 63 year old guy nearly to death (he's not expected to survive).

Video link

So much for those who don't think there was an 'emergent threat' in the case of the cop and his 6yr old. I suppose this guy should have interrupted his own beating and called the cops before it went as far as it did.

I just puked.

I can't argue with people who look for excuses to get into it with people. The way you confronted me over my opinion is the way you would confront others who act in ways that offend you, or probably cut you off in traffic or sneak into a parking space ahead of you. In the California case, a man is dead, the police had to come anyway, a 6 year old girl will be forever traumatized, and the off duty cop will be investigated and second guessed by the District Attorney and possibly a grand Jury and possibly a court.

Had he just shut his pie hole and called the local cops, they would have sent a couple of cruisers and they would have dragged the guy out. The cop and his daughter could have finished their lunch and gone about their day.

You guys think because some guy is walking around talking trash and swearing that constitutes assault. You think that constitutes an emergent threat. I don't think it amounts to sh*t. I would have just ushered my kid away because I know that getting into things with a disturbed person is not going to play out well.

The emergent threat started when the BG started beating on the cop, but the cop has "dirty hands" because he escalated a situation he had no business inviting himself into. He wasn't minding his own business, and I can guarantee you that he will be asked why he just didn't call local authorities.

Tom, yes our society is doomed regardless of whether or not you confront psychotic mental cases. I just choose not to converse with people who are psychotic. You think you can reason with them? If you get a chance to try, let me know how it works out for you.

Nice pic Timber. Are you shooting at some kid who took a baseball bat to your mailbox?

WayneWong,

It would be a very simple world if we could pick and choose which psychotics we could encounter and which ones to pass by.

Unfortunately, occasionally, I think the decision lies with the psychotic and there's not much that can be done about that, as long as we're going to allow psychotics to roam the street.

I've told an a**h*** (customer) before to stfu when he was yelling at a gas station attendant while I was in line watching the tirade.

Should I have shut my mouth?

I literally told him to STFU...

I can't argue with people who look for excuses to get into it with people.

It's called right and wrong. If I see a wrong I do something if I can. If that means calling some pencil neck out, that's what I'll do.

The emergent threat started when the BG started beating on the cop, but the cop has "dirty hands" because he escalated a situation he had no business inviting himself into. He wasn't minding his own business, and I can guarantee you that he will be asked why he just didn't call local authorities.

Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. If he is a LEO, he has to go through a 180 degree mindset change to even consider what you've suggested he do. Not trivial. It's patently against his nature to not get involved, because he has a career of being paid to get involved. I don't think it's really fair to apply the "CCW doctrine" template to his actions, because when he's at work, he doesn't operate on the same template of rules that you and I do.

Sometimes doing the right thing means making difficult decisions under stress... I'd say this guy did pretty well. He's not dead, his daughter is safe, and there's one less scumbag running around threatening or violently assaulting people. The rest of the stuff is his cross to bear, and I'd wager a guess that he knows that, and likely knew that going in.

-Mike

Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. If he is a LEO, he has to go through a 180 degree mindset change to even consider what you've suggested he do. Not trivial. It's patently against his nature to not get involved, because he has a career of being paid to get involved. I don't think it's really fair to apply the "CCW doctrine" template to his actions, because when he's at work, he doesn't operate on the same template of rules that you and I do.

Sometimes doing the right thing means making difficult decisions under stress... I'd say this guy did pretty well. He's not dead, his daughter is safe, and there's one less scumbag running around threatening or violently assaulting people. The rest of the stuff is his cross to bear, and I'd wager a guess that he knows that, and likely knew that going in.

-Mike

He was not acting in his capacity as a cop. He didn't identify himself as a cop until he was getting beaten. He was not in uniform. He was not on duty or in his community. He was acting as a private citizen. And considering he was being beaten badly enough to have to kill someone in front of his daughter, I would say that things didn't turn out as well as you espouse.

LOL Bfatz. Excellent.

Dr. F: So could you tell me exactly...WHO'S brain I DID put in?
Eye-gor: Abbey, something.
Dr. F: Abbey something.
Eye-gor: Abbey, normal.
Dr. F: Abbey....NORMAL.
Eye-gor: Yes, I believe that was the name...

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: SEDA-GIVE? Hahahaha!

Last edited:
I can't argue with people who look for excuses to get into it with people. The way you confronted me over my opinion is the way you would confront others who act in ways that offend you, or probably cut you off in traffic or sneak into a parking space ahead of you. In the California case, a man is dead, the police had to come anyway, a 6 year old girl will be forever traumatized, and the off duty cop will be investigated and second guessed by the District Attorney and possibly a grand Jury and possibly a court.

Had he just shut his pie hole and called the local cops, they would have sent a couple of cruisers and they would have dragged the guy out. The cop and his daughter could have finished their lunch and gone about their day.

You guys think because some guy is walking around talking trash and swearing that constitutes assault. You think that constitutes an emergent threat. I don't think it amounts to sh*t. I would have just ushered my kid away because I know that getting into things with a disturbed person is not going to play out well.

Tom, yes our society is doomed regardless of whether or not you confront psychotic mental cases. I just choose not to converse with people who are psychotic. You think you can reason with them? If you get a chance to try, let me know how it works out for you.

Nice pic Timber. Are you shooting at some kid who took a baseball bat to your mailbox?

I'm really disengaging from this thread this time.

Wow. Piss poor. You should run away and go hide. [hmmm] Sad [sad2].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom