CA - Off-Duty Cop At Restaurant w/6 Year Old Daughter, Shoots and Kills Attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
An off-duty police officer shot an agitated man who attacked him while he and his young daughter were in a restaurant, a police official said

The incident occurred just before 4:00 p.m. Sunday in the Del Taco restaurant at Rio Vista Street and Lincoln Street, according to Sgt. Rick Martinez of the Anaheim Police Department.

An off duty police officer and his 6-year old daughter walked into the restaurant to get something to eat, where the officer noticed an "agitated" man walking in and out of the building.

Witnesses say when the officer and his daughter walked out of the restaurant, the suspect immediately confronted and violently attacked him.

Full article HERE

something tells me that ain't the whole story. not by a long shot.

God I love Del Taco. My kingdom for a Mucho Macho Burrito!

(Glad the ODC took care of business......)

I hope that if I ever shoot an unarmed 'agitated' man, that my outcome is as good as this one (i.e. I'm not charged with killing an unarmed man).

I hope that if I ever shoot an unarmed 'agitated' man, that my outcome is as good as this one (i.e. I'm not charged with killing an unarmed man).

Perhaps if you sustain the same injuries and have the benefit of witnesses on your side. Not to mention I'm sure the safety of this officers daughter was on his mind as well. It sounds like he got beat up pretty good, maybe he was even hit with something. As usual I'm sure this reporting is lacking several details.

KTLA News said:
"He cornered the officer and continued beating him," Martinez said. "Witnesses said the officer did everything he could, and at that point the officer fired."

When Anaheim police arrived, they found the suspect shot and the officer with injuries to his face, hands and other areas of his body.

The officer involved was taken to a local hospital and was treated for a broken rib and possibly a broken jaw. His injuries are described as non-life threatening.

Last edited:
Being around the LA area, isn't it very difficult for regular citizens to get a CCW permit? It seems like it's only police or 'friends of the sherriff' who are granted CCW?

Being around the LA area, isn't it very difficult for regular citizens to get a CCW permit? It seems like it's only police or 'friends of the sherriff' who are granted CCW?

You are correct, I was watching youtube last night on how the LA sherriff Baca was talking bullsht about how he doesnt believe in guns...

How come there seems to be a lot of witnesses of this man getting beaten up in front of his daughter and no one stepped up to help? The four friends who got a front row seat where just watching?

More info...

An off-duty Gardena police officer shot and killed an agitated man who beat and seriously injured him at an Anaheim fast-food restaurant, police said today.

The assault and shooting occurred in front of the officer's 6-year-old daughter and a packed eatery at 3:45 p.m. Sunday.

The officer, a 10-year veteran of the department, came under attack when he told the man to stop using profanity in the crowded restaurant, police said.

The officer, who has not been identified, was eating with his daughter inside the Del Taco at Lincoln Avenue and Rio Vista Street when the agitated man walked inside, Anaheim police Sgt. Tim Schmidt said.

The man was "extremely aggressive" and got into an argument with workers at the counter, yelling profanities, Schmidt said.

The officer told the man to leave the workers alone. He did not identify

himself as a police officer.

"At that point, the suspect starts attacking the officer, punching him in the face, hitting him and kicking him," Schmidt said.

The officer did not identify himself until the man got on top of him and continued the beating. He then identified himself, pulled his gun and shot the man, Schmidt said.

"The guy had actually taken it to him pretty well before the officer could do anything," Schmidt said.

The officer suffered broken ribs and a broken jaw and nose in the struggle.

The 39-year-old assailant was taken to the University of California, Irvine Medical Center and pronounced dead. His name was not immediately released pending notification of relatives.

"We do know he has a very lengthy criminal history with multiple arrests -- narcotics, burglary, robbery and assault," Schmidt said.

Anaheim police officers have had several contacts with him, Schmidt said. "He is a known criminal," he said.

Witnesses told police the man had been walking around the shopping center parking lot talking to himself and acting strangely before he walked into the Del Taco.

Schmidt said 14 people witnessed the fight and shooting.

Anaheim police are investigating the officer-involved shooting and will forward its reports to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

Gardena police might issue more information later today. The officer was treated for his injuries.

His daughter was unhurt.

"The city is going to provide the officer and his daughter with any counseling or emotional support they need to make sure she is OK," Gardena police Lt. Steve Prendergast said.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/...-fatally-shoots-man-attacking-him-847556.html

"We do know he has a very lengthy criminal history with multiple arrests -- narcotics, burglary, robbery and assault," Schmidt said.

Anaheim police officers have had several contacts with him, Schmidt said. "He is a known criminal," he said.

Yet he was out on the street. [hmmm][angry]

My son is a Marine Sgt in San Diego. He has to work at a private range as an instructor in order to get his CCW.

Off duty cop. With his 6 year old daughter. Outside his jurisdiction. Should not have said anything to BG. There was no emergent situation here. Local PD could have been called discreetly and uniform cops could have handled it.

Off duty cop. With his 6 year old daughter. Outside his jurisdiction. Should not have said anything to BG. There was no emergent situation here. Local PD could have been called discreetly and uniform cops could have handled it.

So a man,a parent ,a patron cant ask someone to stop swearing now, the fact he is an LEO clearly did not factor into this at all, except to you. I look at like he may have saved someone elses life, whos to say some civilian that wasnt carrying and couldnt defend themselves asked tht nut to stop swearing after he left and this guy killed them, which he was obvioulsy capable of. I undertsand where your attempting to go with this, it wasnt a felony so he didnt have a responsibility to act so lets blame him and not the pos..does it have to be an emergent situation to speak to someone as an off duty cop im not aware of that rule.

riiiiiiight

riiiiiiight
What he said... Guy went ape !@#$ on him - it would appear there was indeed an "emergent situation" with someone who was that unstable/agitated/etc... wandering around confronting people. Thankfully it happened to someone who was prepared and capable of defending himself rather than a sheep who would have been bludgeoned to death as evidenced by the injuries the officer sustained...

I disagree. I wouldn't allow that type of language or actions around my family either. My choices would be to either remove myself and family from the situation or tell him to cool it and based on the facts as presented I probably would have confronted him as well. I also probably would have SHOT him as well if the guy didn't beat my ass down first. Hindsight is always 20/20 in these situations so I'm not going to quarterback the guy's decision when, on it's face and based on the facts, it's what anyone who isn't a sheep would've done.

Here's the way I see it.

A guy walking around talking to himself and swearing does not constitute an emergent situation. If you confront someone..anyone...over anything you take a risk of escalation.

This is exactly what happened. He engaged someone who was obviously unstable while he was off duty, out of his jurisdiction, in civilian clothes, and responsible for his young child.

He misread and mishandled the situation, and someone is dead, granted a POS. He should have let the local police handle it. He didn't evaluate the situation properly and didn't have the resources available to deal with it. The proof is in the end result.

If you guys are carrying, and complain to anybody about their behavior, you might not get absolved of blame should the situation escalate. If you think that you can tell someone to behave differently and they will comply having recognized your moral superiority, you may find yourself on the receiving end of a reality check

The idea is to be completely, entirely blameless. This situation could have waited for local, uniform cops to handle. Ignore the guy, walk away with your daughter, and call the police. The only thing that should be coming out of your mouth is if the BG approaches you. "Stop. Get away. Leave us alone."

Here's the way I see it.

A guy walking around talking to himself and swearing does not constitute an emergent situation. If you confront someone..anyone...over anything you take a risk of escalation.

This is exactly what happened. He engaged someone who was obviously unstable while he was off duty, out of his jurisdiction, in civilian clothes, and responsible for his young child.

He misread and mishandled the situation, and someone is dead, granted a POS. He should have let the local police handle it. He didn't evaluate the situation properly and didn't have the resources available to deal with it. The proof is in the end result.

If you guys are carrying, and complain to anybody about their behavior, you might not get absolved of blame should the situation escalate. If you think that you can tell someone to behave differently and they will comply having recognized your moral superiority, you may find yourself on the receiving end of a reality check

The idea is to be completely, entirely blameless. This situation could have waited for local, uniform cops to handle. Ignore the guy, walk away with your daughter, and call the police. The only thing that should be coming out of your mouth is if the BG approaches you. "Stop. Get away. Leave us alone."

He asked him to stop bothering people, and the guy left. He then attacked him outside. Did you wake up on the sheep side of the bed this morning?

He asked him to stop bothering people, and the guy left. He then attacked him outside. Did you wake up on the sheep side of the bed this morning?

No. It's just that God gave me a brain so I use it. Now let me guess. You work mall security somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom