camo painting your rifle

Sent back?

That looks great, especially for a first attempt. I would have checked with other savage owners before sending the stock back.

I did check around, and the only alternative to the B&C is a full custom inlet and bedding job on a far more expensive stock. I really liked the B&C, sturdy but light, balance and feel, and the 12FV action dropped in snug and perfect. It was just Savage deciding to move the take down screw holes 1/8" further apart that killed the whole thing.

Down the road they'll make one to fit this rifle. I've waited this long.

JR

Thanks for the comments. Anybody else out there who's dabbled in this? Show em if you got em. I'd love to get other ideas for other rifles.

One thing I do have to say about people I've talked to about painting rifles is that they ae not neutral. They either love the idea, or hate it. Especially the idea of doing the metal too. "You'll ruin it!"

Hey, I would never do this to a "collectable". This is an off the shelf, and still unfired, plain jane Savage varminter. Relax.

JR

"However beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Last edited:
Very nice pattern. Clean job. Creative too. forget "good for a first attempt" that's just plain good work.

Here's a couple shots of work my cousin did on his savage.

tjsavage.jpg

tjsavage2.jpg

I actually toyed with the idea of a desert pattern, but opted for something more locally related environment-wise. Nice work though. Did he use stencils, or did he hand paint the stripes?

I also like that he did the barrel, bolt handle and tripod. I am pretty sure I will be doing the same. Scope too. Just as soon as I screw up the nads to do it!

Without sounding like a commercial, the Krylon Fusion paint is easy to work with, and sticks hard to plastic or metal without adhesion promoting chemicals. Good work on their part.

JR

"However beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

I actually toyed with the idea of a desert pattern, but opted for something more locally related environment-wise. Nice work though. Did he use stencils, or did he hand paint the stripes?

I also like that he did the barrel, bolt handle and tripod. I am pretty sure I will be doing the same. Scope too. Just as soon as I screw up the nads to do it!

Without sounding like a commercial, the Krylon Fusion paint is easy to work with, and sticks hard to plastic or metal without adhesion promoting chemicals. Good work on their part.

I don't know if he used stencils; good question. He's very artistically talented and is well experienced at dressing his rifles, so, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

+1 on the Krylon. I've used the Krylon on ton's of plastic and had good and lasting results.

Hmmm... maybe I should use cordite instead of Reloader 15 in my .308 handloads.

and just for the record it was named the Admiral Graf Spee

Last edited:
my style

Very nice pattern. Clean job. Creative too. forget "good for a first attempt" that's just plain good work.

Here's a couple shots of work my cousin did on his savage.

tjsavage.jpg

tjsavage2.jpg

His style is right up my alley. Jeff think I should try one in 3 colors of tape? Gray duct tape, black electric, and maybe brown furniture repair!

Last edited:
Not as yet... it would be a waste of time with the barrel and scope still "stand-out-from-a-mile-away" black anyway. I want to do the metal as well, but maybe not before I have fired and broken in the gun first. I don't know that it would make any difference anyway...

Desert Digital AR-15

Nice work, I like the sand sifter idea, good thinking. I agree with you I would do the barrel and scopr. Leave the bolt alone but do everything else. Here is a link to my first one, I used Duracoat paint and a lot of blue painters tape and a home made digital pattern cut out from a plastis file folder. I will be doing some others in the near furture
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1998&id=1198928772

Last edited:
Nice work, I like the sand sifter idea, good thinking. I agree with you I would do the barrel and scopr. Leave the bolt alone but do everything else. Here is a link to my first one, I used Duracoat paint and a lot of blue painters tape and a home made digital pattern cut out from a plastis file folder. I will post more of the whole process when I get some time. I will be doing some others in the near furture
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8177&id=1198928772

Very nice & clean looking job.
+1 on the duracoat. I love that stuff. Have you tried their pattern kits?

I came across that video a while back. I thought that using more masking taped steps was a better way to go. A lot more work, but a more effective camo in the end.

I'll tell you one thing I am having trouble finding is a good matte clear epoxy spray finish. I've tried several places, (auto parts stores, hardware stores). They all have enamel and laquer clears, but no epoxy. Online sources will only ship whole cases of the stuff. Any suggestions folks?

BTW the barrel, bolt handle and trigger guard have been done in identical fashion.

http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/camo.html

camo10.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice & clean looking job.
+1 on the duracoat. I love that stuff. Have you tried their pattern kits?

I havent tried their patterns just yet. I think they are very expensive for one time useage. I might try them if someone else want me to do their gun and wanted one of their patterns

Very nice, I have wanted to try painting a rifle for quite some time now, I would like to do my m4 in a woodland pattern but I think
I would practice a bit first. Maybe start off with my sar-2 and go from there. Heres one I had someone else do for me
camo_on_camos.jpg

is that woodland pattern there? Looks like a lot of stencils were used, at least for the black. Very ice. Matches the fatigues well. I suggest you give it a go yourself. It's very satisfying, and it's just paint. Boo-boos are fixed easily. Just be patient.

is that woodland pattern there? Looks like a lot of stencils were used, at least for the black. Very ice. Matches the fatigues well. I suggest you give it a go yourself. It's very satisfying, and it's just paint. Boo-boos are fixed easily. Just be patient.

Yep
its woodland,I dont think the guy used stencils, just airbrushed it free hand. I will definatly have to look into it, there are definatly things to
think about. Airbrush or spray can, stencils or freehand or cardboard pattern to spray over etc etc. It could be a nice fall project.

I used the Krylon camo paint and the matte clear coat over it for my .50Beowulf ff tube and also an old Savage .22 semiauto stock that someone had orbital sanded then stained all the hell. Both came out super. The .50Beo I made leaf stencils and adhered them on with Elmers spray adhesive, then used the same ones held over the ff tube and shadow sprayed them. The .22 rifle I just sprayed sand color then misted it with the OD green to break up the stark sand color, then over sprayed with matte. The cool thing about the Krylon, is if you don't like it, or if you are heading to AK and it is snowey, you can strip it off and redo it! It held up great up north too, with snow, rain, mud, branches, and deer blood!

Back
Top Bottom