Can an apartment forbid me from owning a firearm in the place?

"Carrying, displaying or discharging fireworks, guns, slingshots, or any type of firearm or weapon is strictly prohibited."

OK, so you wouldn't want to carry openly anyway; there's no way anyone would know whether you were carrying concealed unless you opened up your moth when there was no reason to.

Displaying? Only to known and reliable friends in the privacy of your own apartment shouldn't be a problem because, one again, who's to know?

Discharging? I wouldn't want to live in any building where I had to discharge by personal defense gun to stay alive. So leaving wouldn't cause me the slightest problem.

If they meant possession, then they've got a problem and need to learn the English language, because there doesn't seem to be a single word addressing that question here.

Ken

And you took them in and out of the apartment how?

You didn't get any gun mags?

No shipments from anywhere where the "from" address would give a clue?

Times have changed and busybodies are now everywhere with gov't sanction to "report anything suspicious" (shades of Nazi Germany)!!

Even in 1974 when I lived in an apartment in Waltham, the local busybody kept track of what everyone did, who came and went and with what and she frequently called the owner to complain . . . sometimes about things that weren't even a "violation" of any rules. She was one of the reasons I broke my lease 2 months early and bought a house (before I had planned to do so)!

yeah I guess you make a valid point...[grin]

I've mentioned this before but when I lived in an apartment with busy bodies I picked up an old golf bag at a yard sale for a couple of bucks and stuck the rifles in it with driver covers over the barrels. I could leave it sitting outside all day and nobody would know the difference

You must look awful strange to your neighbors when you decide to go 'golfing' during the Winter months. [wink]

I have a hardshell bass case and guitar case plastered with the obligatory instrument manufacturers and band stickers that I use
for my range trips. No one would be the wiser as to what's actually in them.

Home Depot has some decent sized tool boxes for transporting handguns in and have the added bonus of storing extra range gear in... cleaning gear, mags, ammo, tools, etc.

And you took them in and out of the apartment how?

You didn't get any gun mags?

No shipments from anywhere where the "from" address would give a clue?

Times have changed and busybodies are now everywhere with gov't sanction to "report anything suspicious" (shades of Nazi Germany)!!

I take them in (and out) they way I've always done: concealed.

Of course I get gun magazines. Why I could easily kill someone with a copy of Guns & Ammo, I suspect it doesn't qualify as a per se dangerous weapon, at least outside of a public school.

I don't get a lot of guns shipped to my place, and of course parts are parts, not guns.

Busybodies have always been a fact of life and have always been everywhere. Until there's a specific law against thought crime, I don't worry much about them, though I'll occasionally give them a little hint as to what I think of them. When they do get around to enacting that statute against thought crime, I guess I'll have to start eliminating potential witnesses. [wink]

Ken

Ken,

Problem is that if a busybody reports "gun mags" to a landlord in this sort of situation, many landlords will make a pretext to snoop around the apartment (even though illegal). If they spot anything, they will invoke the right to evict and the tenant has a hassle on his/her hands.

Better to avoid those situations by looking elsewhere when you have a heads-up what is likely to occur.

P.S. I've gone to apartment building with landlords (I needed access to apartment areas) to serve eviction notices and have the landlord open the door and go inside the apartment (illegal)! [In one case the tenant was a convicted drug dealer/A&B on PO/Resisting Arrest and had an active Warrant from Boston PD. I told the attorney and the landlord that he was acting as a "bullet magnet" . . . I was wearing the vest and carrying the gun. The landlord still did it again later!]

P.P.S. When I moved from Waltham to my house, as soon as the moving van left the landlord entered the apartment (illegal). We were paid thru the end of the month and moved out mid-month. I went back the next day to vacuum and clean up the debris and found evidence that the landlord had been in there.

P.P.P.S. Bottom line is that landlords don't care about the law or privacy and if they have a clue that you are doing something that they don't like, they will go after you to find evidence and evict . . . cost be damned.

Back
Top Bottom