Can I make my own magazines?

kurtb

NES Member
I was thinking that I have enough skill to make my own mags - why would I NOT want to do that in MA? I know this is probably a stupid question regarding anything that was more than 10 rounds, but is there any reason I could not legally make magazines that were 10 rounds or under?

Something I have been wondering for a while...

Thanks

Kurtb

I was thinking that I have enough skill to make my own mags - why would I NOT want to do that in MA? I know this is probably a stupid question regarding anything that was more than 10 rounds, but is there any reason I could not legally make magazines that were 10 rounds or under?

You sound like a Bren-Ten owner. [laugh2]

I was curious about this for making 10 round SW-MP22 mags, that were the same length as the 30 rounders.
Could you not take post-ban normal capacity mags apart, block them off to 10rd, use a mechanical fastener or rivet to make it "permanent," and then put them back together?

Along the same line, does anyone know if there are still places that sell "magazine parts kits" - fully disassembled magazines? (No, I'm not planning on doing anything illegal. [rolleyes])

Kurtb - Pretty clearly the answer is "yes, but why?" I can see the appeal of making individual parts (grips, trigger, etc.) if you have the time/money/patience/need/want for something you've made. None of this stuff is technically difficult to make, but your reliability decreases as your complexity increases. Don't expect a system you cobble together (mag) to work flawlessly with another (gun) without putting the time & testing into it.

All that said... It's a sad state of affairs that questions like this need to be and are asked.

You reload...if you have the means and the materials to make them...and they end up costing less than buying them? Why not?

Because I bet I can reload 5000 rounds of 10mm in the time it will take to make one magazine, and I'll save over $2K doing it.

I can't see making a magazine unless the one I need does not exist.

Although you may think making magazines is easy... think about all the aftermarket (and even factory) magazines made by professional gunmakers and parts makers that don't work correctly...

My thoughts exactly, articles written on what aftermarket, commercial made mags don't function in a Ruger 10/22 or the discussions on various 45 mags, Wilson's vs colt vs Springfields.. etc..

All that said... It's a sad state of affairs that questions like this need to be and are asked.

I guess it would make sense for me to explain myself and why I would want to even try. I have a discontinued handgun that it is simply impossible to find magazines for. I have scoured every single site that I can think of, have asked dealers, have dug for this treasure everywhere I can fathom - with no success.

Although it may a sad state of affairs that I would ask such a rediculous question as MetalgodZ says - there are no other options for me to aquire this gem. Thus, I must rely on my own ingenuity to fill my needs

“per nostram calliditatem superamus"

I have a discontinued handgun that it is simply impossible to find magazines for.

That's a good reason.

What gun is it? It would probably be easiest if you could modify a mag for another pistol rather than make up something from scratch.

[snip]I have a discontinued handgun that it is simply impossible to find magazines for.[snip]
Yep, good reason.
Although it may a sad state of affairs that I would ask such a rediculous question as MetalgodZ says - there are no other options for me to aquire this gem. Thus, I must rely on my own ingenuity to fill my needs
Please understand that the statement was not at all intended to reflect on your choice of making a magazine...only the ridiculousness of the laws and general mindset that have caused this to become a legitimate question.
Intratec Cat 45
One uuuuuuugly gun. [grin]

One possibility that I've heard for them is that they fit 1911 .45 ACP mags, albeit with some slight modification to the catch slot. They're easy enough to find that you might try that if you haven't already.

mag

I got a beretta 9 mm mag and by cutting a new mag release slot it fits my
hi power.I have several mags that are not the make of the gun their in.

Back
Top Bottom