• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Can I mix powders?....."

DW357

NES Member
I came across this post from a guy on a reloading Facebook group (Reloading Central if anyone is interested....). I was really hoping that this guy was trolling but after skimming through some of the 200+ comments, I don't believe he is [rolleyes]

This guy needs to step back and sell off his reloading gear if this isn't a joke....Then someone comments and says he should burn the two different powders and to "compare" the burn rates...

IMG_7067.jpg
IMG_7065.PNG
IMG_7066.PNG

definitely friending this guy on FB to see if he'll 'go-live' streaming when he tests his first batch of ammo...the feed will run until his battery runs out, but the first minute or two will be entertaining.

- - - Updated - - -

"Nah, he'll be fine"...lmao..

definitely the funniest thing the internet will provide today.

definitely friending this guy on FB to see if he'll 'go-live' streaming when he tests his first batch of ammo...the feed will run until his battery runs out, but the first minute or two will be entertaining.

[rofl]

Someone correct me if my impression is off, but I thought there are many powder blends on the market. I.e. The powder in Fed. GM ammo is a secret blend so the consumer can not duplicate it. So to answer the original question, I guess if you have sufficient knowledge you probably can mix powders safely. Do most of us have that knowledge? No.

Dave

Someone correct me if my impression is off, but I thought there are many powder blends on the market. I.e. The powder in Fed. GM ammo is a secret blend so the consumer can not duplicate it. So to answer the original question, I guess if you have sufficient knowledge you probably can mix powders safely. Do most of us have that knowledge? No.

Dave

You may be right, but I think it involves more than simply mixing two powders in the hopper and hoping for the best[laugh]

Duplex loads have existed for years but most reloaders don't have access to a laboratory full of equipment to work up a safe load. Admit you did something dumb and use the powder to fertilize the lawn.

Aren't duplex loads a small quantity of high frissance powder right on top of the primer, then a power charge on top of that (and below the projectile?)
That is, the powder is layered in the case and NOT mixed like the OPs facebook example?

He will be fine as long as he fills the case full and then seats the bullet to compress the load. Then there is less room for expansion of the co-efficient of the ratio of two dissimilar powders.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom